Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Minelab's website is down...
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: December 17, 2017 05:02AM
Oh Tom---you should have got the 800!!!:wink:
pasttom
Sorry, wishful thinking. I did get a cached page and reference to the manual listed, but no joy logging on. I really want to study up before my 600 arrives!

Posted by: GKMan
Date: December 17, 2017 05:23AM
Didn't they just announce a crackdown on counterfeiters ( maybe they ruffled the wrong feathers). It seems strange their Facebook account wouldn't have giving a simple explanation like hardware failure, website maintenance, ISP issue by now..

Gary
Dutchess County New York
I love The Game of Tones....
Present: Equinox 800.
Past: CTX-3030 Minelab E-Trac, Explorer II, Sovereign
Detecting Since 1984 Using Minelab since mid 90s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 05:24AM by GKMan.

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: December 17, 2017 05:29AM
GKMan
Didn't they just announce a crackdown on counterfeiters ( maybe they ruffled the wrong feathers). It seems strange their Facebook account wouldn't have giving a simple explanation like hardware failure, website maintenance, ISP issue by now..

How would that affect their website ?

Just tried again , still down .

Date: December 17, 2017 06:06AM
Nuke em
GKMan

How would that affect their website ?

Just tried again , still down .

DOS attack, hacked.. It is highly unusual for big companies site to go offline for this length of time.
Not that Minelab would be what I consider a great target for hackers, but if you announce you are going after the people making lots of money on counterfit detectors, it would become a target.
In all likelihood it something more mundane, this was just a thought.

Gary
Dutchess County New York

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 06:17AM by GKMan.

Posted by: Des D
Date: December 17, 2017 09:18AM
The 'counterfeit' thing is historical: they shut down some Chinese outfit knocking off fake GPX'

"Well, midnight has come and gone and nothing, there's always midnight tonite!!! LoL....

Anyone hear about a sinkhole in Adelaide????"

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 17, 2017 09:47AM
GKMan

Yeah, the total silence is whats weird about this. A website going down isn't unusual, but to be down for days and nothing is said about it on their FB or Twitter accounts is VERY unusual. Big companies are typical all over things like this within hours making posts saying "Hey, we know that there is a problem, we are working to fix it, sorry for any inconvenience."

I get the silence about new detector release (to a point), but this silence seems strange and almost planned. Personal gut feeling there.

Date: December 17, 2017 10:09AM
This is on purpose to hide info about release , i bet they are updating the site so they have everything on there .
Whats the betting they are in the shops and being released sometime this week ?

Posted by: greenmeanie
Date: December 17, 2017 10:14AM
Maybe the other Metal Detecting Companies got together and hacked them because of the NOX making all other detectors worthless.

NOX 800

Date: December 17, 2017 10:15AM
My guess is one of two things.
1. Hardware or software failure and a real bad job of communicating what is going on the weekend before Christmas.

2. The site was hacked. They are assessing the situation trying to figure out what information was stolen. Making sure the servers are all secure before bringing it back online and having a statement about what may have been compromised. If I recall all of the exchange data is stored locally so that probably wouldn't be an issue and probably an entirely different system anyhow.

Gary
Dutchess County New York

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 10:16AM by GKMan.

Date: December 17, 2017 10:15AM
greenmeanie
Maybe the other Metal Detecting Companies got together and hacked them because of the NOX making all other detectors worthless.

That could be true LOL

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 17, 2017 10:33AM
greenmeanie

Not worthless, just obsolete! LOL

Posted by: SteveP(NH)
Date: December 17, 2017 11:09AM
Nuke em
This is on purpose to hide info about release , i bet they are updating the site so they have everything on there .
Whats the betting they are in the shops and being released sometime this week ?

Most enterprise level (and for that matter small business) websites have both a staging server and a live server. Then the web team can do all of the updating on the staging server and test it to insure everything is right. After they are ready to go live they sync the live server to the staging server and all of the updates are done in a few seconds. This way you never take your live site offline as it continues to server the old version of the site until it is synced with the staging server.

Posted by: Architex
Date: December 17, 2017 11:26AM
greenmeanie

Y'all send me your worthless detectors. I'll pay shipping.

The real treasure is in the marketing.

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / Equinox 800

Posted by: pasttom
Date: December 17, 2017 11:36AM
Sigh...

World record speculation generator. We don't know but have a great time bouncing theories. No harm done I guess. A great advertising program for the 'nox for sure!

Del, I hope you are wrong but I am making a risky choice. If I am wrong, well then I will have a back up and get the end all of detection sticks when the stamped has quieted down.

Pastor Tom
A Tarsacci MDT 8000, an Equinox 800 and ORX/Deus
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Date: December 17, 2017 11:41AM
pasttom
Sigh...

World record speculation generator. We don't know but have a great time bouncing theories. No harm done I guess. A great advertising program for the 'nox for sure!

Del, I hope you are wrong but I am making a risky choice. If I am wrong, well then I will have a back up and get the end all of detection sticks when the stamped has quieted down.

Going by what i have read i dont think you have made a wrong move , the Equinox will rock .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login