Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Minelab Equinox vs. The E-TRAC
Posted by: Nuke em
Date: December 19, 2017 08:34AM
Neil
Slightly is the key word here.
earthlypotluck
This question and answer was provided on youtube. I did not ask this question and give 100% credit to the individual that did. Minelab's response is below.

How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?

Minelab's Response:

Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions.

Its more sensitive to Gold and a little less to Silver. I doubt many will notice . this doesn't include hammered I think. More large Silver. Anyone with a Deus would see similar capability I think.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 (ordered) , Minelab Equinox 800 (order late 2018 ) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: December 19, 2017 01:38PM
Ytcoinshooter
I'm watching all the anticipation and speculation. I've read the threads and watched the videos. The decision to be an early adopter or not, I'll have to put that on hold. I want to see what gets posted when "us" folks have a chance to hammer the heck outta the EQ. I hope this new release from Minelab is the "sliced bread" of detectors. User friendly and as versatile as hyped. I'll be watching the following, the order listed does not indicate importance to me. I'm loaded with detectors so this has to be something really special to get me to pop the $'s for it.
1) target separation & unmasking in iron
2) sensitivity to small gold (chains) in a saltwater environment
3) saltwater stability / non-reactivity
4) robust build quality & balance
5) lack of software issues & glitches
6) EMI / RFI shielding and frequency shifting that works to further quiet those effects.
HH - Bruce

Bruce --

Good post. I get what you are saying. You've obviously been doing this a LONG time, and know what you are doing, based on those things you are "watching for" in the Equinox.

Just to mention, I am almost certain that I read from a trusted source that there WILL be "frequency shifting" available to help quiet EMI / RFI issues, though haven't seen any mention yet from any of the testers as to how effective its frequency shifting is (with respect testing it in the field and seeing if they actually achieve effective EMI mitigation). Presumably though, it works as intended. As for shielding, I haven't heard any of the testers say anything to suggest that the coils aren't well shielded, but again...time will tell...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: Neil
Date: December 22, 2017 10:10AM
Have you used the Equinox already, are you one of the testers? If not many will notice, such a subtle difference could be chalked up to site variations and a host of other things.
The almost as well statement by Minelab(regarding saltwater performance) is also something to note.
Looks like late Jan or early Feb for users impressions to be posted.
HH
Neil
Nuke em
Neil
Slightly is the key word here.
earthlypotluck
This question and answer was provided on youtube. I did not ask this question and give 100% credit to the individual that did. Minelab's response is below.

Minelab's Response:

Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions.

Its more sensitive to Gold and a little less to Silver. I doubt many will notice . this doesn't include hammered I think. More large Silver. Anyone with a Deus would see similar capability I think.

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: December 22, 2017 02:12PM
Minelab just responded with this:

We are generally stating that Multi-IQ obsoletes single frequency detectors, not simultaneous multi-frequency detectors. This really has captured market attention! It is quite likely that some people will become EQUINOX supporters, while others will want to keep using their favourite FBS detector (not too dissimilar to GPX vs GPZ).

So the best honest answer to your question right now is:

"Multi-IQ has the future potential to obsolete FBS technology."

Truth be told, no detector will be obsolete once the Equinox arrives, they'll still find the same stuff they've been finding for years.

The Equinox may well find the stuff these detectors have been missing, and do it in a much lighter, more ergonomic package with a lot more useful features.

We'll find out next month!

Posted by: TomNH
Date: December 22, 2017 04:12PM
VERY true. My Garrett GTA500 may be over 20 yrs old but it excels as a simple intro machine. With 20+ yr old tech
it can still surprise with depth, ID & number of keepers. It cant replace my Safari but the GTA500 & others still have serious uses.

Tom
LFOD !

Truth be told, no detector will be obsolete once the Equinox arrives, they'll still find the same stuff they've been finding for years.

The Equinox may well find the stuff these detectors have been missing, and do it in a much lighter, more ergonomic package with a lot more useful features.

We'll find out next month![/quote]

Equinox
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: December 22, 2017 04:48PM
Cal_Cobra
Truth be told, no detector will be obsolete once the Equinox arrives, they'll still find the same stuff they've been finding for years. The Equinox may well find the stuff these detectors have been missing, and do it in a much lighter, more ergonomic package with a lot more useful features. We'll find out next month!

Well said Brian.

Rich -

:minelab: Etrac - primary yard and park machine
Makro Racer 2 - primary old west sites, high iron trash,
:minelab: Sovereign GT - cruising old parks
:minelab: Equinox 800 - tbd
:tesoro: Bandido - backup old west sites, high iron trash.

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 23, 2017 08:45PM
Cal_Cobra

We are generally stating that Multi-IQ obsoletes single frequency detectors, not simultaneous multi-frequency detectors. This really has captured market attention! It is quite likely that some people will become EQUINOX supporters, while others will want to keep using their favourite FBS detector (not too dissimilar to GPX vs GPZ).

Amen brother! It should be a nice capable machine,not a magic wand. Besides,even if it were a magic wand,much of the magic is in the guy holding it...

Posted by: kajunman
Date: December 23, 2017 10:06PM
Nuke em
dewcon4414
Most water machines have a salt setting..... that may well make all things equal for salt water hunters. Salt water hunting may NOT be the priority of this machine...... but if its about equal..... many will buy it just because of price and the narrow performance difference. It will cut into the AT line, CTX and Xcal. Honestly, i rarely find gold at 18" on the dry sand. Many will pick it up as a replacement for the Deus or even their raw gold machines. We still scratch our heads on paying $2400 for the CTX over an Xcal...... but its use as an overall machines justified the price. As far as making them obsolete.... it sounds good dont it? I assume they are saying they have improved the mulit freq TID well enough to compete or exceed that of a specialized single freq. IF it is the machine ML thinks it is....... then other companies will be scrambling to produce machines that are truly all around machines at a reasonable price. This could get interesting. If this is a winner....... do you see some more going the way of the Sov and Explorer?

Doubtful other companies will follow . They will be treading on Patents all the way , Minelab must have sown up all ideas or most to do with Multi freq tech . Other than the Whites V3i that is.

As for most water machines having a salt setting . There are many that have that but dont work in the wet salt or are jumpy at best .

I wonder how many machines are on the drawing boards of competitors and how many have been binned because of the Equinox ?
I think its the European market that Minelab is trying to get back into , thats why it was released in the UK . Minelabs share in the UK/EU market has crashed over the last 7 or 8 years since the Deus came out . Garretts AT and Ace series have not helped either .

If Minelab have brought out a Holy Grail in the shape of the Equinox ? I hope it works well on the salt then they will sell like hotcakes and people will be flogging cheapy Deus's and that will upset Monsieur L'Francais till XP think something new.

Maybe Minelab should have named it the Longbow then we could show the V sign to the Deus in the Fields and shout remember Agincourt !

Fisher CZ 21's are multi frequency. Minelab designated their new multiple frequency as IQ. There's more than one way to generate multi frequencies. As we see two other companies using already. If Fisher would modernize the 21 they could market that detector. Whites should modernize and waterproof the VX3. Look for other makers to release multi frequency machines in 2018.

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: December 23, 2017 10:08PM
LOL, Serious Brian, I know you're being nice and all....do you really think that this machine will replace your Racer 2/Impact with the Snake or Point or 5" coil in those old ghost towns with dense iron/rusted tin etc. It's just another VLF machine with some nifty features, hell if I thought simultaneously multi freq. was the cats meow I would have bought V3i years ago. LOL anyhow hope to see ya in NV come May. By the way ....nice avatar......guess ya must have borrowed an ML machine to find it :)

p.s here is some interesting reading:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?100,2410416

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?102,2401179

Cal_Cobra

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites MXT & M6

Posted by: Big Treble
Date: December 24, 2017 07:07AM
earthlypotluck

Minelab's Response:

So this quote from Minelab make the silver hunter in me tap on the brakes. Their use of the word slightly I'm thinking is used to marginalize the performance difference between the Nod and the Etrac/Ctx, and I see it as a definite shot across the bow of the Deus

Date: December 24, 2017 08:03AM
Big Treble
earthlypotluck

Minelab's Response:

So this quote from Minelab make the silver hunter in me tap on the brakes. Their use of the word slightly I'm thinking is used to marginalize the performance difference between the Nod and the Etrac/Ctx, and I see it as a definite shot across the bow of the Deus

Have you used the Terra 705? If so then this is better by far . what makes people think that it will be everything to everyone and be half the price of the flagship model ?
This machine has been brought out as I suspected to replace the Terra's and compete with the Garretts which it more than will.
If you have the CTX then you will have wait for a machine that will replace it in a few years .
Or maybe buy the Equinox and suffer a very small loss of high tone Silver and suffer the terrible ! finds of low conduct Gold .

Don't forget that this machine was released "outed" in the UK where low conduct Silver hammered coins are found .
This machine will more than match Garretts and be salt capable and multi freq too.
Bloody good deal for £879 or whatever $ that is.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 (ordered) , Minelab Equinox 800 (order late 2018 ) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Date: December 24, 2017 08:17AM
Nuke em
Big Treble
earthlypotluck

Minelab's Response:

Have you used the Terra 705? If so then this is better by far . what makes people think that it will be everything to everyone and be half the price of the flagship model ?
This machine has been brought out as I suspected to replace the Terra's and compete with the Garretts which it more than will.
If you have the CTX then you will have wait for a machine that will replace it in a few years .
Or maybe buy the Equinox and suffer a very small loss of high tone Silver and suffer the terrible ! finds of low conduct Gold .

Don't forget that this machine was released "outed" in the UK where low conduct Silver hammered coins are found .
This machine will more than match Garretts and be salt capable and multi freq too.
Bloody good deal for £879 or whatever $ that is.

I have not used the 705, the only ML I've had or used is the Etrac, I said the same thing about the Eqinox replacing the Xterra line on another forum and got scolded. I also said ML couldn't possibly making this line to replace the Etrac & CTX, again I got scolded.

The hype is enticing, and one month ago I said absolutely not, but now I think maybe. Although I'm pretty sure it will not be better than what I'm using for where and what I hunt.

Date: December 24, 2017 08:32AM
They know better than to scald me. Its a Terra replacement and they better get used to it. All of them. It even looks like a Terra, albeit a modern one.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: December 24, 2017 09:45AM
I really don't see the Equinox making any other detector "obsolete". Heck, look at the Compadre. Still doing just fine in a world of high tech detectors that makes the Compadre look like a horse and buggy on the Autobahn.

I still think even the E-Trac/CTX will continue to remain at the top.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Date: December 24, 2017 09:50AM
Nuke em
They know better than to scald me.

:laugh::laugh::lmfao:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login