Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I read this last night, looks like the Equinox 600 and 800 are just the beginning of Multi-IQ technology.
Posted by: Nuke em
Date: December 22, 2017 02:25AM
Jason in Enid
Nuke em
I reckon the next machine wil be out in 3 years time , i hope it isn't too expensive . And i dont want GPS or any gizmo's just decent functions that make finding stuff easier .

but the GPS is very effective for anyone who field hunts! I have made massive increases in finds from my ghost town site directly because of the GPS mapping feature of the GPS. Apparent random finds were revealed to show a pattern and where to concentrate future hunts and well as what direction those find trends were pointing.

I understand its not a usable feature for all hunts, but I also feel most people never even give it a chance.

Maybe if the machine didn't weigh the same a house then I wouldn't be bothered but it is too heavy for knackered old farts like me LOL.

Uses = Minelab Explorer 11 , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 , Minelab X.Terra 705 , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters , Minelab E.Trac for sale .

Last night I put in an order for my Equinox 800 . . .
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: December 22, 2017 08:20AM
Dan(NM)
Question from cache mole - "Will Multi IQ obsolete FBS?"

Answer from Minelab Metal Detectors - "A very good question!

We are generally stating that Multi-IQ obsoletes single frequency detectors, not simultaneous multi-frequency detectors. This really has captured market attention! It is quite likely that some people will become EQUINOX supporters, while others will want to keep using their favourite FBS detector (not too dissimilar to GPX vs GPZ).

So the best honest answer to your question right now is:

"Multi-IQ has the future potential to obsolete FBS technology."

For some users, that may be immediate when they buy an EQUINOX. For others it may be with a future product with Multi-IQ, or an enhancement of it.

If you refer to our first TT blog on Multi-IQ technology:
https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1 and look at the timeline diagrams - there were/are several generations of BBS/FBS detectors. We are only at the very beginning for Multi-IQ.

Last night I put in my order for an Equinox.
I will see if this is hype or truly an advancement in detecting technology. I am hoping for the latter.
Also, I don't know why they went back to the old system of wrapping the wire around the shaft rather than through it. But that's ok with me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 08:22AM by Tony N (Michigan).

Re: Last night I put in an order for my Equinox 800 . . .
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 22, 2017 08:49AM
Personally, I'm glad they went back to an external coil cable. I change coils to suit the hunt that day and its a pain in the ass to have to disassemble the detector every time I want to change my coil. It also makes it harder (and therefor less likely) to give last minute check of the connection before going into the water. This was another reason I love the sunray x-1 probes, it made coil changes so much easier.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: December 22, 2017 09:14AM
Jason in Enid
Personally, I'm glad they went back to an external coil cable. I change coils to suit the hunt that day and its a pain in the ass to have to disassemble the detector every time I want to change my coil. It also makes it harder (and therefor less likely) to give last minute check of the connection before going into the water. This was another reason I love the sunray x-1 probes, it made coil changes so much easier.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Why would changing coils be a pain in the ass? Are we talking about a donkey or a Democrat? :lol:
I'm just wary about external wires due to getting snagged. But really, I'm okay with the wrap around system.

Re: I read this last night, looks like the Equinox 600 and 800 are just the beginning of Multi-IQ technology.
Posted by: jas415
Date: December 22, 2017 11:03AM
Jason in Enid
"but the GPS is very effective for anyone who field hunts! I have made massive increases in finds from my ghost town site directly because of the GPS mapping feature of the GPS. Apparent random finds were revealed to show a pattern and where to concentrate future hunts and well as what direction those find trends were pointing."

I have used that exact process to hunt a ghost town just north of Houston. Had old aerials and old photos, combined them, got the coords for corners of long gone bldgs, input them into the machine, and walked right to them. Also very usable on large parks!

Posted by: jas415
Date: December 22, 2017 11:06AM
Jason in Enid
Nuke em
I reckon the next machine wil be out in 3 years time , i hope it isn't too expensive . And i dont want GPS or any gizmo's just decent functions that make finding stuff easier .

but the GPS is very effective for anyone who field hunts! I have made massive increases in finds from my ghost town site directly because of the GPS mapping feature of the GPS. Apparent random finds were revealed to show a pattern and where to concentrate future hunts and well as what direction those find trends were pointing.

I understand its not a usable feature for all hunts, but I also feel most people never even give it a chance.

Dead on! I have used it several times to hunt an old ghost Logging town north of Houston. Dug up old aerials and old photos, including the town layout, then used Google earth to get coords. Input the corners of the old long gone bldgs into the CTX, then walked right to them in the deep woods! Also very helpful in large open parks, pastures, etc. .

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: December 22, 2017 11:10AM

looks like the Equinox 600 and 800 are just the beginning of Multi-IQ technology

LOL told you so. More accurate ID at depth, there's no way they don't integrate that into future replacements for the eTrac and CTX. Add electronics miniaturization, weight reduction, wireless and next generation Etrac/CTX could be interesting indeed.

Date: December 22, 2017 11:38AM
Charles (Upstate NY)

looks like the Equinox 600 and 800 are just the beginning of Multi-IQ technology

LOL told you so. More accurate ID at depth, there's no way they don't integrate that into future replacements for the eTrac and CTX. Add electronics miniaturization, weight reduction, wireless and next generation Etrac/CTX could be interesting indeed.

But what if the improved "more accurate ID at depth" is more about signal processing than frequency used? What if they can update the CTX to this new processing allowing the CTX to suddenly jump ahead in performance?

Date: December 22, 2017 11:40AM
Nuke em
Jason in Enid
Nuke em

Maybe if the machine didn't weigh the same a house then I wouldn't be bothered but it is too heavy for knackered old farts like me LOL.

But they wouldnt need to increase weight to add in a GPS feature.

Date: December 22, 2017 11:48AM
Tony N (Michigan)
Jason in Enid

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Why would changing coils be a pain in the ass? Are we talking about a donkey or a Democrat? :lol:
I'm just wary about external wires due to getting snagged. But really, I'm okay with the wrap around system.

I can understand the worry about wire snag for people who hunt in heavy brush. What I'm talking about is the need to remove the stems, remove the coil, pull out the wire, put on the new coil, fish the cable down through the stem, connect it to the detector (even more awkward with the E-Trac and explorers) then reinstall the stem. With it on the outside, just unscrew, remove the coil, replace coil, screw cable back onto controller, hunt.

Posted by: laplander
Date: December 22, 2017 06:34PM
Half the people I talk to want it one way [inside] half want it outside:shrug Brush wont be a problem if it is properly wrapped and Velcro secured.
http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=322500
Laplander

Posted by: amberjack
Date: December 22, 2017 06:45PM
from what I read the FBS is as far as they can take it so seems this (IQ) is what they are going to working on in the future, FBS is as good as it gets if I read the blog right, if not well my bad...

AJ

Date: December 23, 2017 02:39AM
One word. Cost.
The Equinox is a mid range machine not top end.

Uses = Minelab Explorer 11 , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 , Minelab X.Terra 705 , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters , Minelab E.Trac for sale .

Posted by: laplander
Date: December 23, 2017 07:49AM
This might be a paradigm shift and be the new high end:shrug:

Date: December 23, 2017 07:55AM
No. A new top ender will be out in 2 or 3 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login