Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Premature forum ?
Posted by: bik-il
Date: December 24, 2017 07:03PM
Merry Christmas everyone!
Let's not forget that Minelab is a business, and we are consumers. Premature this forum??? I think not. Metal detectors are not inexpensive. I'd be curious to know how many used detectors listed here on the classifieds and elsewhere the last few months are for sale to finance the purchase of a new Equinox. I'd also be curious how many folks at the time of the Equinox official announcement, were just about ready to buy a new XP or Garrett, only to hold off on their decision to purchase.

A company creating early buzz that freezes buyers until their product hits the shelves is great marketing. Now there's a big pool of buyers with cash waiting, and not spending that cash elsewhere. Whether all that cash flows towards minelab remains to be seen, but in the meantime Minelab knows one thing-
that cash is not flowing towards their competitors. That's good business.
However, the downside is a quick letdown if the Equinox doesn't meet expectations.

Cazador??? What's a Cazador?

Posted by: horikindaguy
Date: December 24, 2017 08:06PM
Doctorcoinz. take a pill, lol

Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: December 24, 2017 09:53PM
bik-il
Merry Christmas everyone!
Let's not forget that Minelab is a business, and we are consumers. Premature this forum??? I think not. Metal detectors are not inexpensive. I'd be curious to know how many used detectors listed here on the classifieds and elsewhere the last few months are for sale to finance the purchase of a new Equinox. I'd also be curious how many folks at the time of the Equinox official announcement, were just about ready to buy a new XP or Garrett, only to hold off on their decision to purchase.

A company creating early buzz that freezes buyers until their product hits the shelves is great marketing. Now there's a big pool of buyers with cash waiting, and not spending that cash elsewhere. Whether all that cash flows towards minelab remains to be seen, but in the meantime Minelab knows one thing-
that cash is not flowing towards their competitors. That's good business.
However, the downside is a quick letdown if the Equinox doesn't meet expectations.

Cazador??? What's a Cazador?

I sold my Racer 2 the week the Nox was announced, fortunately I didn't take much of a hit on it. I got on my dealers preorder list(#2) and told him I wanted all the coils and 2 extra rods. I have the funds set aside waiting for prices to released and then I'll send the funds to my dealer. I have full confidence the Nox will do what I want it to with no problems, if there happens to be any issues with the new release, I'll work thru it.

Premature forum ?
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: December 25, 2017 01:39AM
Doctorcoinz
Personally i think this is all looking like a bit of a shambles , i think the whole idea of a having a forum for a detector that does not actually exist is crazy.

Well, I see where you're coming from here DrCoinz and to a point I would agree that the 'equinox' forum here and other places has been a free-for-all, at least. HOWEVER, the detector itself does exist. Information has been available on the Minelab website for a number of weeks. ( https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=downloads ) and there were a dozen or so equinox 800 prototypes out there at announcement time being tested in the field.

Doctorcoinz
There are no solid facts here about the new nox detector at all.

See the link above.

Doctorcoinz
The forum is full of people guessing how the new minelab will perform.

Absolutely True

Doctorcoinz
I think maybe this forum should be closed till the new minelab comes into the shops.

I've suggested a few times that the forum be wiped clean and start afresh when the Equinox is released. (I believe that the CTX3030 forum was given a good washing to begin things as well) We will see what happens. I'm not holding my breath. However, there is information slowly coming to us that is pertinent to those interested. Minelab has several Model specific forums here on Finds. Information on the equinox isn't really appropriate on the CTX, Etrac, X-Terra forums. There isn't a general Minelab forum. So if the forum isn't open for discussions, where do those that are interested go to discuss?

Doctorcoinz
The Nox forum seems to be full of crap.

I would reword your statement to say there is A LOT of 'crap' to sort through to find useful and worthwhile information. Hopefully this will end quickly once the detectors get into the hands of the detectorists.

Till That Time, I hope there is some restraint to the amount of 'crap' flinging and stirring.

Merry Christmas,

Rich (Utah)

:minelab: Etrac - primary yard and park machine
:whites: MXT All Pro - alternate yard machine
Makro Racer 2 - primary old west sites, high iron trash,
:minelab: Sovereign GT - cruising old parks
:minelab: Equinox 800 - tbd
:tesoro: Bandido - backup old west sites, high iron trash.

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: December 26, 2017 04:31AM
Rich..... not sure if this is going to end quickly. We are always going to have people saying yes if you say no....... they like to argue lol. BUT.... if this is sound tech we will see a platform develop and improvements. At that point it will be interesting to see what they do with their other lines in the same price range. Im told we arent getting a watered down version of the tested machines.....but how quickly will this tech produce the next mouse trap and will other companies step up their game? Will we see more $2400 machines? Next year could be a fun year.

Dew

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Beyonder
Date: December 26, 2017 01:05PM
I believe the term "forum" is another word for discussion. Here we are, discussing a machine that is going to be released. Which is what this forum is about, this machine and the before during and after the release. Not everyone is going to agree or there wouldn't be a forum.

It's kind of like studying for an exam. You can't study AFTER the exam is over.

Posted by: pasttom
Date: December 26, 2017 01:14PM
I would suggest studying after an exam is a very good practice. If I'd learned this sooner, I would have shaved a few years off my college career (8 into 4 = BA 4 into 3 + M.Div). Just my experience.

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Where is Minelab going with this?
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: December 26, 2017 06:05PM
dewcon4414
Rich..... not sure if this is going to end quickly. We are always going to have people saying yes if you say no....... they like to argue lol.

I hear you dew. The good news is that time flies by quickly. The end of January will be here soon. Hoping that laplander is able to get an equinox classroom inserted far away from the drama department.

Rich

:minelab: Etrac - primary yard and park machine
:whites: MXT All Pro - alternate yard machine
Makro Racer 2 - primary old west sites, high iron trash,
:minelab: Sovereign GT - cruising old parks
:minelab: Equinox 800 - tbd
:tesoro: Bandido - backup old west sites, high iron trash.

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: budster
Date: December 29, 2017 05:32PM
Premature or not, this forum is probably getting more hits than most. I swing a Safari and the amount of hits on that forum has fallen to just above zero since the Equinox forum started. Maybe that user group is where the new Equinox buyers will come from.:argue:

Posted by: TomNH
Date: December 29, 2017 05:53PM
Not premature. There are at least 2 things that probably have changed after the big unveiling.
1) battery replacement has been for the most part clarified.
2) ability to download updates. Was a big NO. Now is YES.
Both subjects were well covered here & be sure ML is reading this. I believe we had a positive effect !
ML never asked me what I wanted in a MD. They know how to ask me as I registered my Safari 3 yrs ago.
The forum has given me a chance to tell them, and all of us get to comment on things they may have missed.

73 Tom
frozen N.H.
LFOD !

Posted by: Architex
Date: December 29, 2017 09:40PM
I think the most annoying thing here has been premature (as in immature) posters. I may even have been one of them at times.

The real treasure is in the marketing.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Posted by: c4teeter
Date: December 30, 2017 12:18AM
I'm guilty also... Sold my VX3 and was about to pull the plug on the Nokta Impact because of the fast recovery speed. I've owned the Explorer II and the SE (Silver Magnets); as well as an Etrac. The Equinox looks to be as fast (if not faster than the Impact). I'm wondering how Multi-IQ will compare with Minelabs other FBS detectors? I'll make my decision pending field tests done here in the US... At least I have it narrowed down between Impact and Equinox...Which one will give me DEPTH and SILVER:detecting:

Detectors currently used: Whites VX3; Cen Tech Pinpointer

Detectors used in past;
starting with last to first: Minelab SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-trac,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Minelab Explorer XS, Whites XLT, Fisher CZ7a, Whites XLT,Garrett Master Hunter CX

"Treat people like you want to be treated"

Posted by: CCadrin
Date: December 30, 2017 10:39AM
c4teeter
I'm guilty also... Sold my VX3 and was about to pull the plug on the Nokta Impact because of the fast recovery speed. I've owned the Explorer II and the SE (Silver Magnets); as well as an Etrac. The Equinox looks to be as fast (if not faster than the Impact). I'm wondering how Multi-IQ will compare with Minelabs other FBS detectors? I'll make my decision pending field tests done here in the US... At least I have it narrowed down between Impact and Equinox...Which one will give me DEPTH and SILVER:detecting:

I hunted the same park around 100 times (CTX 75 times, Impact 25 times). My Impact found deeper silver then my CTX.

Posted by: JBM1
Date: December 30, 2017 04:41PM
Minelab lads and lasses have been waiting many years for this machine to happen.

With that in mind I can understand their excitement.

Having said that it will be in under microscopic scrutiny when it arrives, with other manufacturers pulling one apart.

I would not be surprised within weeks to see the yellow peril brigade having a look alike for a third of the price on the internet.

Whatever happens its all added to the fun of the hobby and those who like to let off steam.

Meanwhile, I will stick to my well proven magic stick, the XP Deus and its 100% wire free system.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Posted by: Victor73
Date: January 08, 2018 01:16AM
Doctorcoinz
- the whole idea of a having a forum for a detector that does not actually exist is crazy.
-There are no solid facts here about the new nox detector at all.
You are totally right.

Here is what I see:
- a big marketing plan for social networks, forums, youtube etc, with 'free' thousands of pages open for an unknown/ not released product.
- 'independent testers' presented no real tests, not real results, only promoting the miracle product, including their pre-order for it and their act of selling other brands.
- a lot of deleted messages of persons who din't praise the miracle product.

I have two questions:
1. Is it a market manipulation or is it legal/moral that 'independent testers' to promote in this way an unknown product, not launched on the market ?
2. What if 'independent testers' are on the payroll of the producer, or if they are receiving products, trips, money - 'for free', 'for test', as 'a gift' ?

In 2-3 weeks after launch I'll do a complete real test with this product and a comparison with other detectors in different soils. I'll measure their multi-'secret frequencies'.
If the product real 'obsolete' all the others as they said, I'll buy one; if not, I will inform MD' communities about its real results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login