Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: What is your first stop with your brand new Equinox?
Posted by: Mountain Mike
Date: December 26, 2017 07:54AM
I have a 100+ year old log cabin next door. I have found over 400 coins in this yard over the years. Seriously. The yard is full of iron and trash. Multiple targets in every square foot. Also there is high emf with overhead power lines nearby. The etrac runs about 15 on +3. Its been covered thoroughly with an etrac and deus with multiple coils and rarely produces a coin anymore. Its a true torture test.

Minelab Etrac, Xp deus, Equinox 800

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: December 26, 2017 12:54PM
Mountain Mike
I have a 100+ year old log cabin next door. I have found over 400 coins in this yard over the years. Seriously. The yard is full of iron and trash. Multiple targets in every square foot. Also there is high emf with overhead power lines nearby. The etrac runs about 15 on +3. Its been covered thoroughly with an etrac and deus with multiple coils and rarely produces a coin anymore. Its a true torture test.

That should be a great test! Do you have access to a CTX? If you did and the three “heavy hitters” were outdone by the EQ,that would say something immediately. A CTX with Ferrous line set way low like 30-32 might get some more. Too bad the eTracs is not adjustable,it’s a great tool to have in heavy junk. I say this from others experiences,I try not to hunt junk unless necessary. And next season it’ll become necessary to keep hunting areas of my sites. Please keep us posted with the results when you get the EQ!

Posted by: martygene
Date: December 26, 2017 05:34PM
i'm heading to your place GKMan. between us we should get that Nox figured out in no time.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: December 26, 2017 07:03PM
This won't be my first stop, since it's back home in PA and I'm living in OK, but just as soon as I get back there, there's an old, old country church I like to hunt. Burned/rebuilt a couple of times during its 200-plus year history, so the yard is full of old square nails. But, it has given up several goodies in years past, and I know there are still several lurking amongst the iron. While I dug a 9" deep Seated dime there, most targets have been in the 5-8" range -- but most often are in very close proximity to iron/nails. I think this will be a SUPERB test for the Equinox -- some deeper targets, along with others at reasonable depth but that are heavily masked by square nails.

Can't wait!!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

First stop with my new Equinox?
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: December 26, 2017 08:58PM
Back to GO.

I have an area that I've hunted with most every detector I've owned since the mid-80's. It gives up very few older coins anymore. I revisited there this last year with my new Racer 2 and picked up a few older coins, which greatly impressed me. The Equinox will follow suit and we will see what turns up.

I'm also going to give it the standard run through the parks and get to know how it responds to junk. I hunt a lot of old yards and parks are good prep for them. I'm also very interested to see if bottle caps are in my future. My Etrac, with the 2D Ferrous/Conductive screen, pretty much eliminated bottle caps. I was shocked when I bought my Racer 2 and started finding them again. I've been using Explorer / Etracs for almost all of the last 17 years. Of course there are clues when you run a coil over one, but I'm curious as to how they'll respond.

I also have a hankering to test out the prospecting mode.

Lots to do. Just patiently waiting for my equinox to arrive.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: Des D
Date: December 27, 2017 06:53AM
1st spot - two adjoining fields heavily used as test areas for E Trac and CTX - some ground minerals - loaded with iron at the foot depth plus - coins found thus far no deeper than 8" - totally defeated Deus.

2nd spot - a very iron/coke contaminated spot around 1.5 acres - site of thousands of tests with dozens of detectors & coils - contains at least '2 gold ring' losses (documented) but never found

3rd spot - a saltwater beach that when conditions are right gives up coins every few feet to the 12" level - site of the very first 'Explorer XS' beach tests (1999 )

If Equinox can 'better' the above in those spots, we'll have a winner?"

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: December 27, 2017 08:36AM
Des D
1st spot - two adjoining fields heavily used as test areas for E Trac and CTX - some ground minerals - loaded with iron at the foot depth plus - coins found thus far no deeper than 8" - totally defeated Deus.

2nd spot - a very iron/coke contaminated spot around 1.5 acres - site of thousands of tests with dozens of detectors & coils - contains at least '2 gold ring' losses (documented) but never found

3rd spot - a saltwater beach that when conditions are right gives up coins every few feet to the 12" level - site of the very first 'Explorer XS' beach tests (1999 )

If Equinox can 'better' the above in those spots, we'll have a winner?"

One thing I have been think about is that we will have to hunt our tough spot multiple times in different settings. The versatility of the EQ means lots of changes to try out. What it finds well with multi, it may find more with low freq and may find more with high freqs. I don't have problems with coke but I have read that HF is supposed to work well seeing around it.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: December 27, 2017 08:47AM
Going to open my "crying towel" online business----expect to mop up.

Date: December 27, 2017 01:54PM
Jason in Enid
One thing I have been think about is that we will have to hunt our tough spot multiple times in different settings. The versatility of the EQ means lots of changes to try out. What it finds well with multi, it may find more with low freq and may find more with high freqs. I don't have problems with coke but I have read that HF is supposed to work well seeing around it.

Excellent point, Jason...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: December 30, 2017 04:57PM
"IF" and currently that is a fairly large IF. I should get one it will be after you guys have tested them extensively and reported your success and or failures. So far there are only a few things keeping me interested. Light weight. Rapid Recovery and the possibility that it may be good on small gold. Since my Xcal is weak on small gold I do not find gold chains that I know that have to be in the wet salt water sand.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Date: December 30, 2017 05:41PM
George, I think you are spot on in thinking that if the Equinox has an advantage for your type of hunting, it will be on those targets that FBS/BBS are less sensitive to...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: amberjack
Date: December 30, 2017 07:07PM
going to oak island to take on the money pit. :bouncy:

AJ

Date: December 30, 2017 08:54PM
The money pit, LOL! I have to admit, it's a fascinating show, about a FASCINATING mystery...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: amberjack
Date: December 31, 2017 12:18AM
they are sure determined treasure hunters time will tell if they are mad or not but still fun to watch..

AJ

Date: December 31, 2017 01:16PM
Agreed. Though, there IS something down there...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login