Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Equinox shown finding coin, with depth on wet sand.
Posted by: Neil
Date: January 01, 2018 07:56PM
sgoss66
rob.ream258 -- as Jason said, single freq. 20 kHz or 40kHz in the dry will absolutely, without question, be very good at finding them in the dry, though you'd need Multi in the wet. WITH THAT SAID, I think it's fair to say that it will ALSO do well with small gold/chains "in the wet." I have seen some tiny gold flakes that it appears were found in Multi/Field Mode, and assuming so, there should be NO issues in Multi, finding what you seek, dry OR wet...

"Carolina" -- I saw on another forum someone said the coin was a £1 coin...

Steve

If thats true, that it will detect small chains in wet sand, then that would be a clear improvement over other detectors. Even CZs and pulses dont hit those on wet salt sand, not just the bbs or fbs machines.

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: January 01, 2018 10:08PM
Neil --

I agree, it would be QUITE different, and QUITE welcome.

This picture was posted by Jonathan Porter (The Outback Prospector), on another site, of some finds he made running his prototype Equinox. Note that his machine is in "field" mode, and "Multi" frequency...

Based on this picture, there is some pretty good evidence that small gold, in the wet, will be no problem for the Equinox.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: amberjack
Date: January 02, 2018 01:16AM
what's the horse shoe button for is that "lucky" mode :bouncy:

AJ

Posted by: orgone500
Date: January 02, 2018 04:05AM
It turns notching on and off, sort of like the iron audio button on the AT Pro. If you are cherry picking silver targets by having low numbers notched out, but want to check a signal to see if its iron that is reading high, press the horse shoe button and you will hear all tones.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: January 02, 2018 08:19AM
Small gold like in the picture above in wet dirt - no problem. Small gold in wet salt sand - big problem. No VLF ground cancelling Detector - not even multifrequency ones, does this well because the target return has characteristics very close th the ground balance setting of the salt. Likewise no current PI machine can do it because the short pulse delay <10 microseconds required isn’t available and even if it were, no current machine can be reliably operated at such short delays in the presence of salt water.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Neil
Date: January 02, 2018 04:21PM
Rick so it seems but it sure would be special if it could seperate wet salt sand and small gold....

Remember when the sov first came out, I couldnt believe how quiet it ran and deep it went in the wet salt sand...no vlf was close to it......

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

Date: January 02, 2018 11:18PM
Rick --

Maybe you are right; I know what you are saying about the salt, and how "cancelling" salt also means cancelling small gold. I know that's the case, and that it's a real challenge, but perhaps I incorrectly assumed that the Equinox will do better, given that better "ground handling" has been the focus of the engineers at Minelab, and that Minelab multi-freq. units don't seem to "ground balance" per se, but that something else is going on there. I presumed that therefore there would be a good chance of improvement on the wet, with respect to small gold, as compared to other units. Maybe I am wrong on that point, though. Maybe it's a technological challenge (being "stable" in the salt wet and yet not being "dead" to tiny gold at the same time) that has not been able to be improved upon, in the Equinox/Multi-IQ.

Obviously, it should do very well overall in the wet (stability-wise), and obviously it should do very well on the micro gold in the dry -- even in Multi-IQ mode. And that was the point I was trying to make -- that while we KNEW that 20 and 40 kHz should do well on the tiny gold, that somewhat surprisingly even in Multi-IQ mode the Equinox seems to do well with the tiny gold, per the early, limited info from testers. That was what I was trying to make the point of. And since Multi-IQ has been designed to handle "bad ground," then if we now see it finding tiny gold, that suggested (to me) potential for success even in the wet on the tiny stuff. BUT -- you are right, we've actually only seen success with Multi-IQ on the tiny stuff in DIRT, not wet salt sand, yet. And so, maybe there will still be limitations on things like small chains, earrings, etc. in the wet. Perhaps I am off, on this point. I guess it would be wise on my part not to speculate on this specific detail, and wait to see if there has been any improvement there, with Multi-IQ.

Thanks --

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 11:21PM by sgoss66.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: January 03, 2018 08:53AM
Yes, my comments were specifically about small (and especially 10k) gold jewelry in salt water. Existing detectors are blind to these - nearly every one of such objects ever lost is still out there, waiting for new technology to find them.

The salt vs. gold issue is well documented. Minelab makes the best Pulse Induction gold detectors in the world. Because of the existence of salt concentrations in some goldfield soils, their detectors have modes of operation designed to minimize the effects of the salt. These modes are, as far as I know, less sensitive to small nuggets than the “normal” modes.

Rick Kempf

Date: January 03, 2018 07:22PM
Rick,

I hear you, and agree. Like I said, I was thinking "if Multi-IQ can find tiny gold, not JUST 20 and 40 kHz, and if Multi-IQ will handle mineralized conditions way better than 20 or 40 kHz single freq. mode, then the Equinox should do well with small gold even on the beach." But, I was likely assuming too much, since "irony" mineralization, and "salt" are two different things. Indeed, to deal with the salt and achieve stability, any past machines have thus struggled with the small stuff.

It will be interesting to see if the Equinox in Multi-IQ can achieve a bit better results, in that specific application (micro-gold in the salt).

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login