Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: first park hunt.
Posted by: Beyonder
Date: February 12, 2018 12:10PM
Cos
While I could mention a number of parks and communities that have closed their parkland to metal detecting because of the use of shovels, let me instead just relate one situation in the community of Janesville, WI. Janesville has a reasonable metal detecting permit system that clearly spells out what tools can be used to excavate metal detecting targets, and it doesn't include the use of Sampson (or any other) shovels. Last fall, I noted two detectorists using shovels in a Janesville park. I asked the park department what I should do when I see detectorists using shovels. They said, "Call the police immediately." The parks personnel stated that the police know that using shovels while metal detecting is strictly illegal in Janesville. So calling the police is exactly what I will do if I see those two people digging with shovels again in Janesville.

Finally, I an the secretary of the Four Lakes Metal Detector Club of Madison, WI. In working with the Dane County Parks Department, our club has been given the right to issue free permits for metal detecting in Dane County Parks. Our members are clearly informed, and held accountable, that they may not use shovels in any of the parks in our area. If they do, they will be kicked out of the club and reported to the authorities. Period.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I do not use a shovel in public spots, and I am against the practice, but I would never call the cops on someone in the hobby because they are using a shovel. I would give them a heads up and after that, it's up to them.

Re: Reactivity
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: February 12, 2018 04:23PM
Old California
It'll work Tony, but may take time to adjust that will depend with the user.

Start off in clearer areas with proper ground balance, areas with less iron and play with reactivity settings. Depending on mineralization, ground noise will eventually disappear as you increase reactivity.

You'll hear the ground noise as you swing, just use enough reactivity to smooth out the threshold and eliminate ground noise. Eventually, You'll be very comfortably using Goldfield program in thick iron.

Other Top end models use SAT speed with prospecting mode to increase recovery, same applies here increase SAT to smooth out threshold and eliminate ground noise. I've used this for years, prospecting mode in areas with mineralization will enhance detection.

It's a tough feature to learn and understand but it works, Good luck Tony!

Paul

Thanks for the nice post buddy!

Re: Reactivity
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: February 12, 2018 04:25PM
bigelow

Hello Tony,

Yes, Faster recovery speed decreases depth under most conditions. However, under some conditions it'll increase depth. Such as tougher mineralization, or extreanmy trashy areas especially laced with iron.

Masking, robs away depth. You'll see this more with Goldfield program on the Deus, too much ground noise is eliminated with increasing reactivity. If you don't increase reactivity when needed, you'll loose depth due to poor stabitily.

Reactivity is a great feature, know when to increase or when to decrease.

Good to hear from you Tony!
Paul
I never thought about using the Goldfield program. I wonder if it would
be good to use in medium sandy soil here in Michigan in a yard with

a lot of old iron square cut nails?

I think it would work ok from what I saw testing yesterday the target id did well recognizing in gold field as well

I wonder if the ultra-fast reset on the Equinox = less depth like it does on the Deus? That's what I'm really wanting to know.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: February 12, 2018 07:37PM
Cos
While I could mention a number of parks and communities that have closed their parkland to metal detecting because of the use of shovels, let me instead just relate one situation in the community of Janesville, WI. Janesville has a reasonable metal detecting permit system that clearly spells out what tools can be used to excavate metal detecting targets, and it doesn't include the use of Sampson (or any other) shovels. Last fall, I noted two detectorists using shovels in a Janesville park. I asked the park department what I should do when I see detectorists using shovels. They said, "Call the police immediately." The parks personnel stated that the police know that using shovels while metal detecting is strictly illegal in Janesville. So calling the police is exactly what I will do if I see those two people digging with shovels again in Janesville.

Finally, I an the secretary of the Four Lakes Metal Detector Club of Madison, WI. In working with the Dane County Parks Department, our club has been given the right to issue free permits for metal detecting in Dane County Parks. Our members are clearly informed, and held accountable, that they may not use shovels in any of the parks in our area. If they do, they will be kicked out of the club and reported to the authorities. Period.

Cos --

I can see that you didn't even address, or consider, the reasoning I offered. You have your opinion, and it's clearly not negotiable. So, no sense in my continuing discussing.

I will say that if a park says "no long-handled diggers, only screwdrivers or hand trowels," then I would absolutely, positively abide by that. No questions asked.

But -- I do wish you'd focus a bit more on PROPER TECHNIQUE, and less on the "tools used" to accomplish PROPER TECHNIQUE. It's hard for me to understand that if you have one guy who is "less neat" with his Lesche hand digger, than I am with my 38D, that he is "automatically right" while I am "automatically wrong."

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: sunraysux
Date: February 13, 2018 04:59PM
....and THISsssss is exactly why i strictly hunt permission private properties any more!!!!
this "hobby" becomes mercenary, petty, childish and NO FUN when it denigrates into this crap.....
i dig nice big round holes with my shovel and the blessings of the property owners....
i lock down into my quiet little earphoned world and forget about all the small minded litigious self-righteous, self-important wind bags that have invaded this country and will surely bring it to its knees soon......

Posted by: Zinc Penny
Date: February 14, 2018 03:36AM
sunraysux
....and THISsssss is exactly why i strictly hunt permission private properties any more!!!!
this "hobby" becomes mercenary, petty, childish and NO FUN when it denigrates into this crap.....
i dig nice big round holes with my shovel and the blessings of the property owners....
i lock down into my quiet little earphoned world and forget about all the small minded litigious self-righteous, self-important wind bags that have invaded this country and will surely bring it to its knees soon......

I've never had to care about digging anywhere as I know every single official in my city and they are all supportive of metal detecting and the cops will actually get on people who make a big fuss over it. Had some old lady give me a bunch of BS over it once. Police officer told her that he wasn't going to do anything that it's legal and I just get on with doing what I want.

Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: February 14, 2018 08:46AM
I would hate digging in a park with baked hard soil like you guy's in the states do. We are lucky here in the UK that the soil is either wringing wet or moist for many months of the year .
I am an excellent plug cutter having cut thousands of nice plugs that are hard to see, but in the summer when ground is hard i can't do such a good job and some times "horse shoes" can be seen where the hole was dug.

Posted by: TomNH
Date: February 14, 2018 12:01PM
I wont use a shovel in a park setting even though IMHO its better for the grass. It just looks bad to
the uninformed. I also wont dig grass when its very dry. In the woods & beaches its different. Out
comes the shovel but I still use a trowel for the shallow stuff.
Do EVERYTHING you can to keep a low profile !
Sadly these days it only takes one whiner to change things on a national level.
What MDing needs is the NRA for diggers. Just think of all the archeologist that want to stop us.
Claim we destroy history. Truth is they do too & dont forget that. Just want it all for themselfs.

enuf few now
Tom
LFOD !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login