Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Equinox Classroom
Posted by: jamesinwesttexas
Date: April 06, 2018 09:17AM
Thanks that sounds plausible. I wonder just how good the 600 will be on small gold especially using the smaller coil. Would it outperform any of the other gold machines? Thanks again.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: April 07, 2018 06:39PM
filternozzle
All the Multi frequency modes are different due to the way the are weighted. With a single frequency all the power is going into that one frequency, whereas with multi the power is split up between the frequencies but not evenly due to the weighting.

I dont think that is correct. You are assuming all frequency are put out constantly (simultaneously) but minelab has shown that they use frequency cycling with varying delays and timing. I'd bet money that each generation cycle is the same power, regardless of which specific freq its putting out.

Posted by: filternozzle
Date: April 08, 2018 03:11AM
Jason in Enid

All the Multi frequency modes are different due to the way the are weighted. With a single frequency all the power is going into that one frequency, whereas with multi the power is split up between the frequencies but not evenly due to the weighting.

I dont think that is correct. You are assuming all frequency are put out constantly (simultaneously) but minelab has shown that they use frequency cycling with varying delays and timing. I'd bet money that each generation cycle is the same power, regardless of which specific freq its putting out.

You should have a look at: https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-4

Happy Hunting
Minelab: GPX-5000, GPX-4500. Whites Pulse Scan TDI. Nexus: MP, Standard Mk II & Ultima. Nautilus: Silver King, DMC, DMC II, DMC-IIB & DMC IIBa.

Posted by: penzfan
Date: April 25, 2018 02:31PM
great info thanks

Re: Equinox Classroom....It's all about time, and....
Posted by: metalpopper
Date: May 07, 2018 11:46PM
jamesinwesttexas
Thanks for the response. I understand that higher frequencies will find smaller pieces. What I don't understand is why the multi frequency using the same higher frequency will not find those smaller pieces. I accept that the single frequency will do better, since Minelab says so. Just don't understand why. Thanks. James
[/quot*****************************

None-technical answer:-

Imaging a child-minder who has to look-after 5 children, all with differing characteristics, and having to sequentially share her devotion on each; then the consequence are time-limited., regardless of their individual 'like-abilities'.

It's all about TIME.

Multi-frequencies is a TIME-SHARING process.

That process has to deal with many variable, the TWO principle factors being the TARGET/s being irradiated by the search-flux....AND.... the 'ARMOUR-PLATED-SOIL' that surrounds them, at various depths...(of THICKNESS and 'TOUGHNESS')

The OPTIMUM-TARGET FREQUENCY for differing targets, in complex soil, is a COMPROMISE.

First, it must penetrate the armour-plating of the soil at whatever target-depth; (being attenuated on its travels.)

Upon arrival at the target, it must optimally penetrate it, an thereby generate a re-active current of sufficient amplitude, to be sensed by the detector's receiver.

So the logic of single frequency is:- It must be that OPTIMUM frequency for that particular location/situation and target; AND the product of efficiency obtained by concentrating the detector's PROCESSING-TIME; ( rather than SHARING less-efficient multi-frequencies-time requirements.).....matt

P.S,

James....The NOX does find the other targets In multi-frequ, BUT it's so designed (limited -to) only report (audibly,) on the DOMINANT target, in a multi-target situations.

The CTX 3030 will visually indicate the presence of ferrous AND non-Fe at the same time....but that will cost you more bucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 12:13AM by metalpopper.

Re: Equinox Classroom....It's all about time, and....
Posted by: jamesinwesttexas
Date: May 10, 2018 07:01PM
Thanks Matt. That helps.

Posted by: iDetectorX
Date: July 29, 2018 10:06PM
They are working on a definitive answer about whether either Equinox ever uses 5 frequencies simultaneously (or sequencially) in the Geotech forum. Given Minelab's history of marketing fudgery there's reason not to take them at face value. If you take BBS and FBS as examples, 17 and 28 frequencies, while technically true in transmission, turned out to be more of a marketing ploy than technologically useful reality. Each turned out to only "use" (receive and processs) two fundamental frequencies. The clever stuff was in measuring the half-life of the lower frequency, and the use of time domain in VLF technology. Their higher frequency FBS signal is weak though, which led to its overlooking smaller gold and micro jewelry. That alone should tell you that a full band up to 100khz is not a reality. So with that as a backdrop, I would be more skeptical of the claim that Multi-IQ "uses" 5 frequencies simultaneously. There's not a definitive answer on that from independent testing yet. It is as likely that the best 2 or 3 out of five are utilized by each mode, or that they are engaging in more marketing manipulation regarding harmonic transmissions. One thing is almost certain. The transmissions are far more likely to be sequential than strictly simultaneous like the V3i.

Posted by: antigrav1117
Date: July 31, 2018 11:57AM
Multiplexing.

Posted by: biglry
Date: July 31, 2018 01:05PM
antigrav1117
Multiplexing.
"multiplexing (sometimes contracted to muxing) is a method by which multiple analog or digital signals are combined into one signal over a shared medium. The aim is to share a scarce resource. For example, in telecommunications, several telephone calls may be carried using one wire. Multiplexing originated in telegraphy in the 1870s,
The multiplexed signal is transmitted over a communication channel such as a cable. The multiplexing divides the capacity of the communication channel into several logical channels, one for each message signal or data stream to be transferred."
Here is a link to more about Multiplexing Multiplexing exsplaned

Frequency-division multiplexing (FDM): The spectrum of each input signal is shifted to a distinct frequency range.
Hum... sounds like that might be what is going on with the Nox?

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with a Tarsacci MDT8000, Equinox 800, Equinox 600, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking.

Posted by: Old geezer
Date: August 09, 2018 03:42PM
Just bought the 800, be here tomorrow.

Posted by: metalpopper
Date: August 09, 2018 04:59PM
jamesinwesttexas
Thanks for the response. I understand that higher frequencies will find smaller pieces. What I don't understand is why the multi frequency using the same higher frequency will not find those smaller pieces. I accept that the single frequency will do better, since Minelab says so. Just don't understand why. Thanks. James

Hello James.

I once wrote an article in the early days of 'multi-frequencies' to try and convey the 'effectiveness' of single frequency versus multi-frequencies.

It compared the effect of shooting an elephant with a shotgun (multi-pellets, [multi-frequencies]), and a rifle (single-bullet, same weight of lead [single frequency].)

The point of the analogy being; that the shot-gun stands a better chance of finding the target, but with less force, compared to the bullet, which carries more energy.

Of course, the rifle's effectiveness require accurate aim....[ the correct frequency for the target's 'parameters] ...mass, shape, and conductivity..

There are more factors to be considered for a comprehensive understanding of the total comparisons...but I won't complicate what is intended to be a simple answere…..matt.]

Date: August 15, 2018 04:39PM
Got it, love it!! Went out yesterday in a well hunted park and picked up $1.50 in a short time. Found four nickels and they are hard to find.

Date: September 19, 2018 08:01AM
Got it, love it!! Went out yesterday in a well hunted park and picked up $1.50 in a short time. Found four nickels and they are hard to find.

Posted by: romanceferris
Date: September 30, 2018 09:07AM
That would have been my thought also that the multi frequency would deprive the detector of power because of the fact of it usingso many frequencies at once versus one frequency running and all power going to that single frequency

Posted by: Mark's Above & Below Detecting Adventures
Date: October 03, 2018 06:18PM
How is it you say the 600 runs Five when it ONLY has 3 modes and works on (5htz, 10htz, and 15htz.) and they can be used individually. The 600 doesn't have 20htz or 40 htz.

The nox 800 has 5 modes and uses (5, 10, 15, 20 & 40htz) 20htz and 40htz are the gold mode and can be used individually. .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login