Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Cutaplug, a question for you
Posted by: Bryan V
Date: March 07, 2018 04:07PM
Tony N (Michigan)
That being the case that raising recovery on the 800 to "7" produces a cleaner signal, why not run it all the time at 7?
I have not received my 800 yet. But we still have snow on the ground here anyway.

It’s more complex then that..
You want to dial in for you Conditions, both soil and trash density..
You lose a lot of audio information with faster recovery speeds with clipped signals..
Deeper signals could be more easily missed because of the short clipped signal..
You need to find a good balance for your site..

Bryan

Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Gold Monster
Takahashi FC-100DF

Posted by: Cutaplug
Date: March 07, 2018 11:00PM
Tony N (Michigan)
Cutaplug, you wrote:
Something pretty cool happened today with recovery speed. I had a chance to get out for about an hour today at a permission and got a good signal up by the home’s front steps where there was a decent amount of trash. Running in recovery 4 I got a decent high tone that was repeatable but cutting out. Raised the recovery to 7 and it separated perfectly and sounded loud and clear in all directions. Lowered recovery to 2 and pretty much lost the signal completely, even when swinging very slowly. Dug it up and it was a wheatie at about 3-4 inches. The size/shape of the field under the coils changing due to recovery speed seemed hypothetical on the CTX/etrac but can be easily noticed on the 800.

That being the case that raising recovery on the 800 to "7" produces a cleaner signal, why not run it all the time at 7?
I have not received my 800 yet. But we still have snow on the ground here anyway.

The cleaner signal was because there was a lot of trash in that area. Recovery speed 7 narrowed the signal so it separated it from the other nearby targets and provided a better audio tone. At 7 recovery speed you will lose at least an inch or two on depth which could make you miss deep targets in lower trash areas with deep coins. I think knowing how to quickly evaluate the amount of trash in the ground is very important on the eq 800 because it allows the user to adjust recovery speed on the fly and get the best performance out of the machine. I did some door knocking today and pulled 4 silver dimes with the 800 and a bunch of wheats from both low trash and high trash areas by constantly listening to the ground and tweaking the recovery speed. When I lived in MO with deep loose soil I would say 75% of my silver coins were picked up at 6" or deeper. Now that I'm in TN I would say the average silver dime is about 4" deep. So it really depends on the ground conditions where your at and what type of detecting you like to do (low trash or high trash).

Re: Recovery Speed “anomaly”
Posted by: Cutaplug
Date: March 07, 2018 11:05PM
earthmansurfer
@cutaplug - thanks for the recovery speed correction!

I am thinking of running in 4 and testing up and down to find what works well in my soil for deeper coins (mostly, my target). I won't touch 7 and 8.
In clean fields, I will run really low of course.

Sounds like a good plan. I have been running on 4 for general hunting and it seems to be doing well. 3 and below start to produce a much longer audio signal than I like but in very low trash sites with deep targets they might help squeak out the really deep stuff. Looking forward to watching your videos. I don't have much super deep stuff here so I have to watch your live digs to keep up my deep coin skills =)

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: March 08, 2018 06:56AM
Cutaplug

Cutaplug, you wrote:
Something pretty cool happened today with recovery speed. I had a chance to get out for about an hour today at a permission and got a good signal up by the home’s front steps where there was a decent amount of trash. Running in recovery 4 I got a decent high tone that was repeatable but cutting out. Raised the recovery to 7 and it separated perfectly and sounded loud and clear in all directions. Lowered recovery to 2 and pretty much lost the signal completely, even when swinging very slowly. Dug it up and it was a wheatie at about 3-4 inches. The size/shape of the field under the coils changing due to recovery speed seemed hypothetical on the CTX/etrac but can be easily noticed on the 800.

The cleaner signal was because there was a lot of trash in that area. Recovery speed 7 narrowed the signal so it separated it from the other nearby targets and provided a better audio tone. At 7 recovery speed you will lose at least an inch or two on depth which could make you miss deep targets in lower trash areas with deep coins. I think knowing how to quickly evaluate the amount of trash in the ground is very important on the eq 800 because it allows the user to adjust recovery speed on the fly and get the best performance out of the machine. I did some door knocking today and pulled 4 silver dimes with the 800 and a bunch of wheats from both low trash and high trash areas by constantly listening to the ground and tweaking the recovery speed. When I lived in MO with deep loose soil I would say 75% of my silver coins were picked up at 6" or deeper. Now that I'm in TN I would say the average silver dime is about 4" deep. So it really depends on the ground conditions where your at and what type of detecting you like to do (low trash or high trash).

Thanks Cutaplug.
Thanks also for the nice YouTube videos you have put out over the years.
I was afraid that upping recovery speed would be like the Deus where depth is lost the higher the Reactivity is set. Life is made of trade-offs.
Like marriage, one often has to put up with the nagging to get to the good stuff. :laugh:

I detect, therefore I am

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: March 08, 2018 06:59AM
Bryan V

It’s more complex then that..
You want to dial in for you Conditions, both soil and trash density..
You lose a lot of audio information with faster recovery speeds with clipped signals..
Deeper signals could be more easily missed because of the short clipped signal..
You need to find a good balance for your site..

Bryan

Much of the old coins where I live here in Michigan have sunk to great depths. So running higher recovery settings would be defeating.
However, there are places around here where this is not the case. And so, like you said, we want to dial in for our conditions.
Thanks, bud!

I detect, therefore I am

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login