Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Which conditions favor a ctx vs an equinox?
Posted by: eriks
Date: March 05, 2018 01:25PM
I use an blue excal for beach hunting and was looking at the ctx for beach with iron and park use. With the equinox coming to market, I am holding off to see how users respond to the Nox. With that, I was wondering what conditions at the beach and park would favor bringing/buying the CTX over the Nox. I'm guessing the conditions where the ctx would be favorable, are locations where better target identification is necessary. What real world locations would have those conditions for success? Would that be a park location with old silver covered by decades of soil and modern non-ferrous trash? Could you disc/notch out that top layer of trash at 1-3" and just hear the deeper target tones? I think you lose out on gold in that top layer with that disc/notch, but I was just wondering.

Also, assuming the ctx has a bit more depth, especially with the larger coil, at the beach where targets might be sanded in a bit, you would prefer a ctx?

Apologies if this should have been posted in the ctx forum.

Thanks

Re: Which conditions favor a ctx vs an equinox?
Posted by: Old California
Date: March 05, 2018 01:55PM
I've owned a CTX before, have an Equinox on route hopefully have it soon.

For park or beach conditions, I'd image both are pretty close based from the videos I've viewed with slight sensitivity to the equinox with low conductive.

You didn't mention relic hunting or prospecting, although haven't tied an Equinox have used the 3030 at relic sites and a few times up in gold country. Based from equinoxs new technology, it will fare so much better than FBS both relic or prospecting.

FBS is great for ocean or park hunting, equinox adds a little more for users needing separation or more sensitivity.

Take care,

HH,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: BootyHunter
Date: March 05, 2018 04:21PM
Mild soil and low iron contamination would possibly favor the ctx over the nox. I think the nox can hang with the ctx find for find honestly but the ctx will tell you if it’s silver vs clad, you can tell Indians from wheats and memorials and such and plot your finds via gps and it’ll tell you what time it is. But the nox will make those finds just won’t give you as much info doing it. It will also find things in heavy iron or mineralized soil that the slow processing of the ctx just can’t.

My YouTube page is Bootyhunter1971, Please check it out and. Like and Subscribe!!

Posted by: IQ-2018
Date: March 05, 2018 08:16PM
IQ doesn't feel like FBS machines as in the way it processes signals/targets.

Date: March 05, 2018 08:22PM
I wanted to grab a CTX but after seeing some videos on silver at depth and small gold, the Equinox seemed more than capable in those conditions. I found an in-stock 800 and went ahead with the purchase. I have a feeling there will be some growing pains coming from the SovGT and an Excal but I think I'll try to program the unit for the best tones since the numbers seem to fluctuate on the videos showing deeper targets.

Posted by: Always Curious
Date: March 05, 2018 09:41PM
Trashy places favor the Equinox. I am an Etrac user and mostly interested in coins. Etrac is better in ID'ing targets and in telling you the depth--both important for knowing if there might be a silver down below. I like the Equinox, though. It is light and bright (great screen) and because of its faster electronics and better separation, may be finding things the Etrac missed. We'll see.

Date: March 05, 2018 10:21PM
Never used FBS technology, just BBS, so being able to cherry pick at depth is what brought me to the etrac and then ctx, I'm guessing the Equinox will not replace the etrac/ctx but rather the new multi-frequency processor in the unit will see those FBS units revamped eventually. Exciting.

Posted by: Always Curious
Date: March 05, 2018 11:12PM
I think that, in spite of ML's gobbledegoop, Miuti-IQ is functionally just streamlined FBS with chosen discrete frequencies, running on faster hardware. The successor to the Etrac/CTX is probably a few years away (unless the Equinox starts pushing them aside because of cost, in which case it may come sooner), and will probably be much the same but with FE/CO and better depth and ID'ing. It's all about marketing and what ML needs to compete against market segments--here against machines like the Deus, Impact. and MX Sport. It will be interesting to watch.

Posted by: squirrel1
Date: March 06, 2018 12:19AM
Old California
I've owned a CTX before, have an Equinox on route hopefully have it soon.

For park or beach conditions, I'd image both are pretty close based from the videos I've viewed with slight sensitivity to the equinox with low conductive.

You didn't mention relic hunting or prospecting, although haven't tied an Equinox have used the 3030 at relic sites and a few times up in gold country. Based from equinoxs new technology, it will fare so much better than FBS both relic or prospecting.

FBS is great for ocean or park hunting, equinox adds a little more for users needing separation or more sensitivity.

Take care,

HH,
Paul

Look forward to your thoughts on the Equinox Paul.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: March 06, 2018 04:49AM
Always Curious......... good points. They both have some things youd like to combine already....... but if you are say park hunting you need the CTX TID. Its really hard to beat. But the EQ will separate targets better finding the targets between targets the CTX missed. On the beach ...... i believe the EQ has some advantages for smaller gold, but like i said most of us cant tell on a deep target which machine was better no more than we can on the Xcal out there. BUT price......... well now we have a clear winner there dont we?

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: lse450cc
Date: March 06, 2018 09:26AM
If you don’t have the time to hunt.The CTX is the way to go.l like the Nox for relics.Civil War you dig all .
The ctx will be for coin hunting.Both machines do will . Make your decision on were your going to hunt.And what your looking for.

Posted by: Architex
Date: March 06, 2018 09:39AM
In my case, it's when you HAVE a CTX, but the Eq has NOT arrived yet. :shrug:

The real treasure is in the marketing.

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / Equinox 800

Posted by: dbado1
Date: March 06, 2018 03:07PM
I have an E-TRAC and an Equinox. My observations, thus far, are like what has already been said. The E-TRAC will be relegated to low/mod trashy park type environs because of its superior ID abilities. The Equinox will do everything else. The E-TRAC, even with a small coil, doesn't hold a candle to the Equinox in the separation/unmasking department even with the Equinox wearing the larger 11" coil. I think we all knew this was going to be the case from the beginning, though, as FBS is not very fast. Now I have a couple of small coils for the E-TRAC that may never get used again.

Dean

Posted by: Old California
Date: March 06, 2018 03:55PM
Hello David,

Yes, I'll share how the Equinox operates in my ground. Fresh water with black sand, in land relic and park hunting.

Looking forward to using all modes, especially prospecting for relic hunting.

Package may be delayed, Snow may recreate an issue with FedEx. Have two ordered, two different dealers. One is on route, the other is waiting for his shipment from Minelab.

Probably sell one later, thinking of making my own waterproof headset. Will need it for water, can't wait.

Always been a mine lab user, ever since the Sovereign came out. Boy what a terrific machine that was, now we have the 3030 and Equinox.

Thanks David, good to see you have an Equinox as well.

HH, Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 03:56PM by Old California.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: March 06, 2018 04:28PM
Got my 800 today. No shaft wobble - solid

Loves rusty steel crown caps at about 25-30, but TNSS tip of going to 5kHz does indeed make the VDI jump up to the 30’s - coins don’t do that.

I live in emi hell - all underground electrical utilities with ground mounted transformers. The EQ hates it and in factory reset settings goes nuts. A quick look in the manual and an auto imi cancel - bliss!

Not as deep as my former F75 - I have a T2+ coming on Friday - cage match.

I am off with wife and cat in a lovely new Lance 1575 travel trailer for 5 months up the whole east coast. Lots of play on the beaches. EQ and my ancient CZ6.

Rick Kempf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login