Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Equinox and bottle caps
Posted by: pine3874
Date: March 07, 2018 12:28PM
This video will show you how to distinguish a bottle cap from a non ferrous target in Beach Mode. It is not my video, I'm just providing the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yaVPDhsig

Re: Equinox and bottle caps
Posted by: pasttom
Date: March 07, 2018 01:06PM
What happens if you shift to gold mode to check the cap instead of all metal? My 800 doesn't come until tomorrow... :wiggle: hard to wait much longer.

Pastor Tom
An E 800 and several obsolete units
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Posted by: biglry
Date: March 07, 2018 01:31PM
pine3874
This video will show you how to distinguish a bottle cap from a non ferrous target in Beach Mode. It is not my video, I'm just providing the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yaVPDhsig
Thanks, that solved the same issue I was having with crown tops.:thumbup:

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with an Equinox 800, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: March 07, 2018 01:55PM
The video is great, but there's another way (it just won't work in beach mode as beach mode is locked in Multi-IQ, thus the need for that "alternative" method.)

In Park or Field mode, when you hit a low to mid teens target (for me the rusty steel caps hit 11 or 12), switch into single freq. mode (5 or 10 kHz work best), and see if the ID of the target jumps well up into the 20s. If it does? Rusty screw cap. If it stays in the teens? Non-ferrous. If you are hunting where caps are a significant problem, it would seem you could set up a custom profile (on the 800) under the "user" button that is running 5 kHz single freq...and then you have a very quick "check mode" to disc. out your rusty caps...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: March 07, 2018 04:35PM
Works fine on the shallow caps ..... Don't work on the deep ones.

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Posted by: goodmore
Date: March 07, 2018 08:03PM
I'll pass and wait for the next model. Switching and checking isn't an option in the surf. I don't even want the screen on the beach to tell you the truth.

Posted by: biglry
Date: March 07, 2018 08:07PM
Rob in (Ca)
Works fine on the shallow caps ..... Don't work on the deep ones.
True, I just got off the beach and after trying pine3874 vid tips... you are correct it does work fine on crown tops in less than a foot of sand but I was digging them at 18 to 20 inches and it was not until I got the coil closer to them under 12 inches that I got the low tone first.
Like a kid with a new chemistry set the learning process goes on. :detecting:

Metal Detecting is my drug of choice.
I get high with an Equinox 800, two Excalibur ll with 10" slim-line coils, Excalibur 1000 with 10" BBS, Mr. Gold's phones, Plugger carbon fiber shafts, Sov GT with Patrick meter mod & S12 coil. Last, but not least a Tesoro Cibola with a 11x8 Delta DD coil.

Integrity is what we do when we think no one is looking.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: March 08, 2018 04:38AM
Well seems the FE/Con TID on a smart screen ..... wins this discussion Goodmore. 40 digits and where they allow bottle caps to fall wasnt well thought out. Got a lot more digit spread from penny up.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login