Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Equinox 600 and jewelry question
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 02, 2018 04:43PM
Soooo, where are the pics of this fake gold "silver" ring? post up and let us judge.

Posted by: ewtaylor
Date: November 02, 2018 06:19PM
Tried to get the stampings in the pic but my phone wouldn't focus good. The one is marked 18k GF but rang up as silver. The Madonna rang up a solid 19 and is marked 925. The other ring is marked 10K but rang up 21. The silver ring won't load, file too large.

I've been digging up trash for 30yrs.

Minelab Nox 600
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Infinium
Nautilus 2b
Tesoro uMax
White's Eagle Spectrum
White's 4900d
Radio Shack

Posted by: langsy
Date: February 08, 2019 09:26PM
Md-hunter.com has a chart with gold showing up on the equinox range from 1-32

Mike L

Date: February 08, 2019 09:38PM
Here’s a web page video of gold vdi showing up anywhere md-hunter.com

Mike L

Date: February 11, 2019 04:04PM
Equinox vdi where gold shows up . YouTube videi
https://youtu.be/SsgspduZA_8

Mike L

Posted by: metalpopper
Date: February 14, 2019 05:07AM
Jason in Enid
TID has no true correlation to karat stamp.

Sorry J, but it does.....otherwise what's the science of metal detecting mean?

What you really are trying to say is, " Most detectorists don't understand the full rational behind the TID function.

The TID evaluation is the summation of ALL the parameters of the target involve, AND the detector's designed functionalities; principally, the frequency it employs, and the target's 'cumulative' electrical conductivity.....either homogeneous or bi-metal.

You mentioned but a few......

A 'genuine' say 9k ring can have a TID of maybe 8 to '80'......depending on whether its a child's size or a great big knuckle-duster.' and the gold is alloyed with nickel or copper or coconut-crap.

So let's repeat the fact of metal detecting.....Those who only dig by numbers, are rank amateurs who are still leaning what its all about.

We all had to learn; but today's forums are filled with BS and that can confuse newbies and extend the process.

????????????????????????????

J in E:-
The purity, alloyed metals, size, mass, shape and any damage all affect TID. First, digging a ring from the dirt and it wasn't shiny is about 99% guarantee its fake. Seawater can corrode low karat gold but I've found old, plated rings that still looked great when dug from the soil.

I don't fully agree with your proposition of it being 99% likely fake.........matt

Posted by: Mkus
Date: February 14, 2019 06:19AM
It may be gold plated I just dug a nice 14k sapphire diamond ring its small rang up 9-10

Posted by: MassSaltH2O
Date: February 14, 2019 01:22PM
Believe only half of what you see, and believe only a third of what you hear. (Or something like that).

Posted by: trojdor
Date: February 14, 2019 05:47PM
The 'GF' in "18k GF" almost always means Gold Filled, or Gold Plated. (Both mean the same thing, counter-intuitively.)
...so it's not really fake, as it's correctly identifying itself as plated.

If it's old, the base was typically copper or copper-nickel alloy. (Depends on the year and location.)
However, I have seen a few that were gold plated on silver...especially newer ones.

(I've also seen other alloys of junk metals used.)

That's the ring lottery for you.
You never know what you'll get until you dig it up.

Sometimes it's aluminum...sometimes it's gold or platinum.
:)
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 05:51PM by trojdor.

Date: February 14, 2019 07:06PM
Take a strong magnet to the ring if it sticks to the ring than it’s NOT gold . Gold rings will not stick to a magnet

Mike L

Posted by: midalake
Date: February 14, 2019 08:57PM
NOTHING is the same in black sand!

Dave

Posted by: BigTony
Date: February 14, 2019 09:24PM
Yeah, I agree. Next time I’ll try a gold program and see if it can punch through.

Posted by: MassSaltH2O
Date: March 11, 2019 04:16AM
metalpopper

TID has no true correlation to karat stamp.

Sorry J, but it does.....otherwise what's the science of metal detecting mean?

What you really are trying to say is, " Most detectorists don't understand the full rational behind the TID function.

The TID evaluation is the summation of ALL the parameters of the target involve, AND the detector's designed functionalities; principally, the frequency it employs, and the target's 'cumulative' electrical conductivity.....either homogeneous or bi-metal.

You mentioned but a few......

A 'genuine' say 9k ring can have a TID of maybe 8 to '80'......depending on whether its a child's size or a great big knuckle-duster.' and the gold is alloyed with nickel or copper or coconut-crap.

So let's repeat the fact of metal detecting.....Those who only dig by numbers, are rank amateurs who are still leaning what its all about.

We all had to learn; but today's forums are filled with BS and that can confuse newbies and extend the process.

????????????????????????????

J in E:-
The purity, alloyed metals, size, mass, shape and any damage all affect TID. First, digging a ring from the dirt and it wasn't shiny is about 99% guarantee its fake. Seawater can corrode low karat gold but I've found old, plated rings that still looked great when dug from the soil.

I don't fully agree with your proposition of it being 99% likely fake.........matt

TIDs are just rough estimates. TIDs aren't even used in the Gold mode. Sound is used instead. If you are going to be a stickler about TIDs, you are going to miss a lot of good targets, trust me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login