Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Nox Question..
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: March 06, 2019 07:31PM
MassSaltH2O
You can get down to 10 or 11 inches on the salt water beaches for a dime. Deeper for the 15" coil, I am sure.
But, the Nox has a pretty steep learning curve also. This is hardly a "turn on and go" machine.

Oh please, the EQX is as simple as it can be. You can literally turn it on and begin hunting. It doesn't require any special training to start making good finds.

If you want to hunt the fringe depth targets, that will take some time.
If you want to hunt in extreme trash, that will take some time.
But those things are true of EVERY detector.

Posted by: LS hunter
Date: March 07, 2019 12:32AM
Thx.so much guys.Im leaning towards the Nox 800...I want to get in the water as well..I had the Excal 2 just couldn't get used to no screen so i let it go.....Lets face it most of us or in the hobby to find gold and where better to do that than the beach and i think the Nox will do the job for me...

Posted by: jmaclen
Date: March 07, 2019 12:42AM
Jason in Enid

LS Hunter has many years of detecting experience. So, for the most part you are probably correct that for anyone like him who is acquainted with a Minelab FBS or Vflex detector or any other mid-range full featured detector there should be no problem figuring out the Equinox.

Just to be clear though, if a newbie is reading this or someone upgrading from an entry level detector that is beep and dig or has limited features, the Nox may or may not be a simple turn on and begin hunting detector.
You may have to make some immediate adjustments especially if you are hunting at a beach with lots of black sand, in high mineralization, prospecting or in the detecting situations Jason mentioned.

For me personally, I have NEVER been able to turn on and go in any of the preset default modes. I have to make adjustments to deal with high mineralization and high EMI. So, I have to at least do automatic noise cancelling, ground balance, adjust preset discrimination a little and definitely adjust sensitivity down from the default of 20 and go to 5 tones or less. Otherwise, I will have to deal with an audio cacophony that will make detecting impossible and make me physically ill too after a very short time.

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 12:44AM by jmaclen.

Date: March 07, 2019 08:46AM
jmaclen
Jason in Enid

LS Hunter has many years of detecting experience. So, for the most part you are probably correct that for anyone like him who is acquainted with a Minelab FBS or Vflex detector or any other mid-range full featured detector there should be no problem figuring out the Equinox.

Just to be clear though, if a newbie is reading this or someone upgrading from an entry level detector that is beep and dig or has limited features, the Nox may or may not be a simple turn on and begin hunting detector.
You may have to make some immediate adjustments especially if you are hunting at a beach with lots of black sand, in high mineralization, prospecting or in the detecting situations Jason mentioned.

For me personally, I have NEVER been able to turn on and go in any of the preset default modes. I have to make adjustments to deal with high mineralization and high EMI. So, I have to at least do automatic noise cancelling, ground balance, adjust preset discrimination a little and definitely adjust sensitivity down from the default of 20 and go to 5 tones or less. Otherwise, I will have to deal with an audio cacophony that will make detecting impossible and make me physically ill too after a very short time.

Jeff

Actually, its easier for a brand new detectorist to pick an EQX than a long time hunter. When we spend a lot of time detecting we adjust and learn the nuances of that detector. The longer you've used it, the more deeply ingrained that learning becomes. Moving from a CTX to the EQX is just as hard as moving from a Garrett or XP, or any other. We have to completely re-wire our brains to the new sounds and reactions.

Your situation is definitely a little more difficult, but that doesn't apply to 90% of the land people detect. Adjusting for minerals and EMI isnt difficult though and you already admit you do that with every detector. Everything else is personal preference but not required.

Date: March 07, 2019 08:52PM
I started off Thing when i was 15 my first detector was a Garrett ads 7 and it can with two manuals one was a pocket manual, im 49 now and i have to say in my opinion there's not to many turn on and go detectors out there..I have always jumped in headfirst when buying a detector like the Spectra vision man thank god whites has a really good secvice deportment not saying it was a bad detector i should have did some research before buying and that's all I'm doing here my research before making a purchase. I love Minelab I've had the SE Pro, Excal 2...I was looking at the ctx but from what I've gathered from all the research is the Nox will do the job and do it well and has a better track record as far as leakage..thx for your time and help guys...Greg..

Date: March 07, 2019 08:59PM
Frogot to ask... what coil is better suited for the beach and ehat do you guys think about the stock coil..I hope the Nox sounds like my Se pro..I loved the tones...Are there a lot of aftermarket coils out for the Nox?

Posted by: laplander
Date: March 07, 2019 09:26PM
No aftermarket coils at this time LS.
The stock coil is weight and electronically well balanced for all around use. I really like the little guy for high target concentration areas. I cant comment about salt water/ sand JMO
Jeff

Posted by: Mkus
Date: March 08, 2019 05:52AM
I have the Nox 800 great machine I've never owned a CTX but weight is a big problem for me with bad tennis elbow another deciding factor I can swing a 2.5lb machine all day!

Date: March 08, 2019 09:44AM
Mkus
I have the Nox 800 great machine I've never owned a CTX but weight is a big problem for me with bad tennis elbow another deciding factor I can swing a 2.5lb machine all day!

I hear ya! I had the E-Trac soon after its release. It was heavy AND unbalanced. It killed my should but used bungies and suffered through because it had such great performance. Then I got a CTX when first released. It was even heavier but balance was good so I could swing it all day. Then the EQX came out and it was like a cloud. Soooo light and easy to swing. Now, when I pick up the CTX to use I cant get past the weight. It's just not as fun now that I know I have the NOX waiting.

Date: March 10, 2019 01:53PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence.I do agree with you some one who is upgrading from an entry-level detector may have some problems...We all know there's a learning curve with any new defector...The one think i have learned in all my years detecting is you have to put your time in and not just the groung your working but the detector your swinging...In short take the time to learn what the detector is telling you...thx..Greg..

Posted by: LawrencetheMDer
Date: March 10, 2019 05:01PM
Pulled about 5,000 coins in past 2 yrs from Florida beaches with some black sand w CTX and 17" coil. I dig dimes at 12" and cents at 17" and quarters at 12-15". Don't seem too find many deep nickels, perhaps 9". Aluminum can tops at 2 feet. Gold rings at 9 to 12". Advantage in using the threshold thump; sometimes the only info I have to dig. You can reduce these figures by about 10-15% in salt water (w seawater checked). Also, heavy black sand will reduce figures further. I have had no issues with the CTX, which has excellent discrimination, and it has replaced my Excal as my main machine for beach environment. I would NOT recommend a 17" coil for an urban environment. But smaller coils are available.
As for the Nox 800, I been following developments for the past 1 1/2 yrs...and still waiting.

Posted by: Robert Hohman Sr.
Date: March 11, 2019 07:55PM
I have used a Minelab FBS detector since 1999 and currently have an SE Pro that is a fantastic detector for depth. I have found Civil War bullets and coins anywhere from 12"-15" deep with the NEL Tornado coil, but the weight has finally gotten to my shoulder after 3 operations. So I just purchased the Equinox 800 and found that it has a lot of the same features as the FBS detectors (multiplet ones, threshold tones, noise cancel, Iron mask or all metal, and multi frequencies) without the weight. It also gets great depth beyond 6", It also has a few more great features along with an easy learning curve. It wont take you long to learn it if you already understand the FBS detector.

Posted by: Robert Hohman Sr.
Date: March 11, 2019 07:57PM
I have used a Minelab FBS detector since 1999 and currently have an SE Pro that is a fantastic detector for depth. I have found Civil War bullets and coins anywhere from 12"-15" deep with the NEL Tornado coil, but the weight has finally gotten to my shoulder after 3 operations. So I just purchased the Equinox 800 and found that it has a lot of the same features as the FBS detectors (multiple tones, threshold tones, noise cancel, Iron mask or all metal, and multi frequencies) without the weight. It also gets great depth beyond 6", It also has a few more great features along with an easy learning curve. It wont take you long to learn it if you already understand the FBS detector.

Date: March 12, 2019 09:31AM
Do you guys think the tones sound similar to the tones of the SE are even the E Trac.....Man i would know what was coming out the ground 95 % of the time just from the tones...hope the Nox sounds somewhat the same...

Date: March 12, 2019 11:06AM
LS hunter
Do you guys think the tones sound similar to the tones of the SE are even the E Trac.....Man i would know what was coming out the ground 95 % of the time just from the tones...hope the Nox sounds somewhat the same...

Whole new machine, its best to treat as its own thing. If you try to correlate it to previous Minelabs its only going to cause confusion and slow your learning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login