Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Default Ground Balance
Posted by: Charlives
Date: February 17, 2018 04:05PM
Hi Folks,

The manual says,
"The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields. However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended."

Does this mean we wouldn't generally need to GB this machine?

Just sounds weird coming from the T2 where the GB was very precise. Thanks!

My two cents?
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: February 17, 2018 04:22PM
I think the default encompasses what is essentially "mid-range" mineralization.

Starting out, I would use auto (just to get used to the machine), then as I got more familiar with it, either manually GB or use the "groundgrab" ( or whatever they call it) feature.

AND, when not in auto, I would periodically recheck my GB, just in case.

Also, some people like to run their machines with the GB either slightly positive or negative, so I would think using auto would negate that option.

Maybe this would be a good test: on various sites, under various ranges of mineralization, see how big a difference the numbers are between a manual GB on the site itself, and the default.

If the default (0) consistently turns out being a lot different than your manual GB numbers, that might be a hint NOT to use the default GB in your general area.

Hope this helps.

Re: Default Ground Balance
Posted by: Charlives
Date: February 17, 2018 05:13PM
Thanks, Greg! I was just surprised to see them telling us not to GB at all unless you hear falsing.

I don't even have one yet, so, I am not the best source.
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: February 17, 2018 09:01PM
I know several detectorists who like to fine tune the GB to the ground they are hunting in.

I also know some who use the auto GB with various detectors, depending.

my problem ground balancing
Posted by: horikindaguy
Date: February 19, 2018 01:49PM
Took my 800 to a local (big city) park just to try it out (our ground is frozen solid here).

very nice ergos, settings easy to use, etc...but I simply couldn't find a 'clean' spot to ground balance!

'Hot' detectors have this as a side effect I guess....I lowered the sense but to no avail.

I didn't feel comfortable just turning on auto tracking so I decided to just bump the GB up manually from the default 0 to 6.

I'm pretty bothered by this so I'm looking for suggestions, advice....

Also I would be curious to see what other users are seeing for a GB # relative to their understanding of their areas mineralization level.

Posted by: jas415
Date: February 19, 2018 07:15PM
To me the ground balance is a bit confusing. It says to go to the gb icon and pump the coil up and downb and raise or lower the numbers using the + -, to get the noise to quiet??

All this was in Park 1, sense at about 20

There are 3 steps; manual gb, auto gb and auto tracking. In manual the operator pumps the coil and raises or lowers the number using the '+-' buttons, and in auto as the coil is pumped up and down (or in auto you can go 'side to side'), the numbers automatically go up or down and it gets quiet. Then to get in auto track all you do get the gb icon up and push the accept reject button and the tracking icon will display in the top right corner.

So, I tried the manual gb and NOTHING happened at all. Got the gb icon up, and pumped the coil and nothing was heard, from the machine. The number was at 71, so turned it up and dowm and nothing was heard.

So I went to auto and got the gb icon up, held down the accept reject button and pumped the coil. No sounds were heard and the numbers did not move! Turned the machine off and back on, did the same thing again and no responses. I could get the auto tracking icon up in the right hand corner and it was pretty quiet. I dont know, maybe the ground was so clean it did not need to move or change. I will try it again, but would like to hear from others that try this and hear what they encounter.

Posted by: horikindaguy
Date: February 19, 2018 07:22PM
Maybe Digger could chime in with some information on this...

Posted by: Digger
Date: February 20, 2018 10:16AM
If my GB was set at 71 and I wasn't the one who changed it, I'd be doing a factory reset before I spent any time making other adjustments. You can do a factory reset by pressing and holding the Power button for 5 seconds. But there are a few other things you can check before doing a reset.......the Volume Adjust setting controls the volume for all detector sounds. The range is 0 - 25, with a default value of 20. Make sure you are hearing all the sounds. Although the Threshold Level range is 0 - 25, default for Park is 0. At 0, you won't hear any Threshold or "target blanking". I boost mine up so I can just barely hear a faint Threshold. The next thing I would do (with most detectors) is to perform a Noise Cancel. Once I've minimized the noise from outside interference, I can go to Ground Balance.....the default value is 0 in Park, Field and Beach modes. You should be hearing an audio response. A low pitched tone means you should increase the GB setting, and a high pitched tone means you should decrease the GB setting. Your objective is to set the audio response at the break point of being between the high tone or a low tone. IF you still can't get any GB tone, now would be the time to do the reset. After the reset, take a look at the default settings line up with what the manual indicates. Then try the GB procedure again. JMHO HH Randy

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After more than 46-years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: February 20, 2018 08:38PM
Charlives
Hi Folks,

The manual says,
"The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields. However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended."

Does this mean we wouldn't generally need to GB this machine?

Just sounds weird coming from the T2 where the GB was very precise. Thanks!
. It has been recommended by someone on the test team, (Tom Dankowski) to do an auto GB, but do not run tracking. This is more precise than doing a manual GB. Go to the GB icon, push the +- reject button, pump the coil until the numbers stablize. Make sure the tracking icon is off, do not run tracking unless your hunting for gold nuggets.

Posted by: laplander
Date: February 20, 2018 09:09PM
1st We are assuming you get an audio response when your coil passes over a target in detect mode?

2nd You should get an audio response when ground balancing in MANUAL no squiggly icon upper right corner or in AUTO sqiggly line flashing but not in TRACKING icon solid.

Let us know if reset was necessary or helped.

71 would be a number you might expect in really poor ground or over iron so you might be balancing in the wrong spot.
Try doing a GB in different areas and see if the numbers match your original 71.
Laplander

Re: My two cents?
Posted by: squirrel1
Date: February 21, 2018 05:39AM
Greg (E.Tn)
I think the default encompasses what is essentially "mid-range" mineralization.

Starting out, I would use auto (just to get used to the machine), then as I got more familiar with it, either manually GB or use the "groundgrab" ( or whatever they call it) feature.

AND, when not in auto, I would periodically recheck my GB, just in case.

Also, some people like to run their machines with the GB either slightly positive or negative, so I would think using auto would negate that option.

Maybe this would be a good test: on various sites, under various ranges of mineralization, see how big a difference the numbers are between a manual GB on the site itself, and the default.

If the default (0) consistently turns out being a lot different than your manual GB numbers, that might be a hint NOT to use the default GB in your general area.

Hope this helps.

Default GB setting.
My ground is medium mineralized.
You use 0 GB setting, depth will suffer.
Deep targets gets chopped, or are heard trying to squeeze through using my 800 model.
Btw balancing using auto GB, some detect modes balance around 34, and other detect models auto balance around 34 in the window.

It is my opinion based on testing my Equinox factory default GB setting in park and field modes better for milder ground

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:42AM by squirrel1.

Posted by: jas415
Date: February 23, 2018 07:12AM
Tried the 'auto' in another place. It started in the 50 range and dropped to 37 and sort of stopped there. so I put in in park 1 did a few sweeps and re-did the Auto again, this time it only moved to 31, so I then went to Track. I will try the manual again, and look at all the numbers as Digger suggested.

But, it is finding stuff really well, is quiet as a mouse, and in the 5 tones that Danm suggested is excellent in getting attention for coins, etc.. I tried a couple of the targets as suggested on an English video of swapping to 10 khz on a deep iffy target and I dont think that works as will if you are on a deep iffy 23-25. He was cking a 13-15 to see if it was iron. Saying that if it was hitting both ways at 13-15, then switch to 10 khz and do the same sweeps. If the number jumped to the 23-25 range and was fairly stable it was almost allways iron. I was doing it on a 23-25 and it usually stayed at 23-25. I tried it on several different freqs and I dont think there is much of a 'tell-tale' there for that particular initial target number.

I get some rally messed up target numbers so today I will adjust the target recovery/reaction, sweep speeds, and Iron Bias a bit to see what can be done to stabilize the id at depth. Right now it sucks big time, but I am so used to the CTX that I might just be mentally untrained for these numbers and tones. I know I have a 'loss of low freq' hearing issue in both ears, and maybe a learning issue also, lol. Hard of hearing and hard of learning! Bad combo!

Posted by: BobOso
Date: April 12, 2018 05:57PM
I usually only hunt the gold fields, but this is what I do, only because I am used to using the Whites GMT. The GMT if used in auto GB will ground balance out gold.
Also being old and lazy I use the easy way to find the correct GB, I ill first do the EMI thing, then set the equinox on auto GB, swing it for 30 sec., the turn of the auto and this way I save time (bad hearing) and find the approx. GB for the area I am in. I will also (every 10 or 15 min) recheck by pumping to mack sure the GB is set properly.

Posted by: Digger 45
Date: May 12, 2018 09:23PM
I run tracking all the time, on the beach and in parks, in my ground the GB changes all the time. This works good on my 705 and works good on my 600

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login