Findmall.com

Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Cross checking targets to Id bottle caps and foil
Posted by: BootyHunter
Date: February 24, 2018 06:06PM
Just got my Equinox 800 Feb 12th. Finally got out with it tbe other day and it did awesome. Got me 4 silver coins a Great Seal Button and a tiny pocket knife along with some wheats and clad. I was fooled a few times by screw caps, they came in the coin number range and sounded good. Now if I have to dig some screw caps to get silver, I’ll do that all day long, but me little mind was wondering, what if one of these single frequency modes could really distinguish the caps and foil somehow from coins? One could set up their user profile as whatever single fx world and just with the touch of a single button switch modes and maybe decide if it’s a coin or just a screw cap or aluminum foil? Most of the time I’m going to dig all positive repeatable numbers but let’s say you have a very limited time on a spot to detect, say a sidewalk tearout that’s going to be under cement the next day or some other circumstance where you only get one shot on a place and you want to cover as much ground as possible in limited time. Which single fx would best I’d these nuisance targets in your opinion and why?

My YouTube page is Bootyhunter1971, Please check it out and. Like and Subscribe!!

Re: Cross checking targets to Id bottle caps and foil
Posted by: laplander
Date: February 24, 2018 11:00PM
I watched a video with I believe Gordon H. and was using that same principal with 10 KH for iron. I have been experimenting with different freq's and seeing some interesting results usually on iron such as a big jump in target id's. How this relates to nonferrous is another story as target id's seem fairly stable across different frequencies. Let us know if you work out a solution.
Laplander

Posted by: jas415
Date: February 25, 2018 08:45AM
I watched the video on the 10 khz and tried it a few times on iffy 12-15 signals (possible gold or nickel). Almost every time it came back in the 23-25 range on the 10 khz. So I tried every freq and it was usually the same result, the numbers jumped to the 20-25 range. Dug a few and some were iron and some were ripped apart can slaw or pull tab stuff. What I do know is the 90 degree sweep and repeat tone and number seems to work very well! Even with several nails, bolts, etc., in the hole, if there is a repeatable tone, left, then right, and the number is in the 'good' range, almost every time there is a non-ferrous object there mixed in! If you cannot get it both ways and at 90 degrees it is doubtful of a good target in the hole. And I dug a lot of those, deep to 10-14" looking for a good target but almost every time it was not there if the tone was only one way or would not repeat.

Several days ago 4 of us were standing taking, all with our detectors on, 2 ATPros and an F5 and the 800. I swept the ground in front of us and got a solid but very small area 26-28 repeatable, Moved about 90 degrees and in that same very small spot got the same numbers. Said it seemed like a silver dime. The others all swept the area from all directions and not one of the other machines ever got a decent signal, all said trash and iron. It was a '29 Merc at about 6" with 2 long rusty nails in the side of the hole. Surprised me too!

Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: February 27, 2018 11:39AM
jas415
I watched the video on the 10 khz and tried it a few times on iffy 12-15 signals (possible gold or nickel). Almost every time it came back in the 23-25 range on the 10 khz. So I tried every freq and it was usually the same result, the numbers jumped to the 20-25 range. Dug a few and some were iron and some were ripped apart can slaw or pull tab stuff. What I do know is the 90 degree sweep and repeat tone and number seems to work very well! Even with several nails, bolts, etc., in the hole, if there is a repeatable tone, left, then right, and the number is in the 'good' range, almost every time there is a non-ferrous object there mixed in! If you cannot get it both ways and at 90 degrees it is doubtful of a good target in the hole. And I dug a lot of those, deep to 10-14" looking for a good target but almost every time it was not there if the tone was only one way or would not repeat.

Several days ago 4 of us were standing taking, all with our detectors on, 2 ATPros and an F5 and the 800. I swept the ground in front of us and got a solid but very small area 26-28 repeatable, Moved about 90 degrees and in that same very small spot got the same numbers. Said it seemed like a silver dime. The others all swept the area from all directions and not one of the other machines ever got a decent signal, all said trash and iron. It was a '29 Merc at about 6" with 2 long rusty nails in the side of the hole. Surprised me too!

Now that's a good report and well written up...thanks..won't forget this..:clapping:

Posted by: squirrel1
Date: March 01, 2018 06:32PM
Bottle caps will ID a lot higher using 5khz vs what they read using multi freq.

Posted by: Sweeping-4-junk
Date: March 07, 2018 02:30AM
if you only dig only positive repeatable numbers you will miss good targets. Here in the UK we dig or at least should dig (for those who don't know) any numbers that are positive repeatable or not!
I have to admit it was not until i started digging lots of trashy non repeating signals that i was surprised some times with a decent find. Coins at extreme depth and other bits of gold and such, odd shaped non ferrous relics. trash holes with a coin in etc.....all sorts of stuff..

Posted by: Clad2Hunt
Date: March 12, 2018 06:24PM
So far I have been able to switch to AM and do the Minelab coil wiggle. When the target gets to edge of the coil it will start to grunt and give negative numbers. I have found that this MD has wrap around iron on all kinds of ferrous targets. Still learning but just by going to AM it seems to give up the real ID. I was hoping for better ID at depth with Multi IQ.

Posted by: cjc
Date: March 13, 2018 03:13PM
Thats an important point, 4 Junk. Hard to learn the machine that way though.
cjc

Posted by: amergin2
Date: May 04, 2018 11:44AM
for bottle caps tips have a look at tube Relics & Rings, Published on Mar 6, 2018 and Digging Sylence
Published on Mar 30, 2018

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login