Findmall.com

Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
tone bins
Posted by: jas415
Date: March 11, 2018 08:41AM
Let's say I want to run a tone bin from -9 to +10, then 11-14, 14-18, 19-23, and 24 up. Set each bin to a volume and tone to alert for nickles and coins/silver. Now when you run it this way, what actually happens when you hit the horseshoe button to disc in or out the iron? I ask because I tried to do that and got some weird tone results in the low bin area.

By the way, I tried to hunt with the 800 using a low recovery speed, 0 or 1 (to get more depth??), and '0' bias, and it was not at all good. Depth sucked and lots of falsing on rusty nails, etc.. To me, the best settings there are 6 recovery and 0 bias. I can actually benefit from the speed that way and the high tones and volume of the nickle and coin bins get my attention. Very similar to the CTX ability.

Jas, you might want to check out Calabash's video over on the Equinox forum.
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: March 12, 2018 08:32PM
He and some others have been playing around with recovery speed in different programs, with interesting results.

He has another video, where he is testing the Equinox against the CTX 3030 and Deus, and the Equinox holds its own very well.

Can't help you with the tone bin questions as I am still waiting on my Equinox to get here.

Good luck with it--you are already light-years ahead of me.

Re: tone bins
Posted by: squirrel1
Date: March 29, 2018 11:09PM
jas415
Let's say I want to run a tone bin from -9 to +10, then 11-14, 14-18, 19-23, and 24 up. Set each bin to a volume and tone to alert for nickles and coins/silver. Now when you run it this way, what actually happens when you hit the horseshoe button to disc in or out the iron? I ask because I tried to do that and got some weird tone results in the low bin area.

By the way, I tried to hunt with the 800 using a low recovery speed, 0 or 1 (to get more depth??), and '0' bias, and it was not at all good. Depth sucked and lots of falsing on rusty nails, etc.. To me, the best settings there are 6 recovery and 0 bias. I can actually benefit from the speed that way and the high tones and volume of the nickle and coin bins get my attention. Very similar to the CTX ability.

As far as how low you can go speed wise for depth is driven by soil mineral levels.
For example for dime detection speed level 5 is as far as I can go. Speed 4 extremely coil,position/sweep sensitive.
On a quarter I can go with 4 speed setting.
I like level 6 a lot in my area. For depth.

In inert or real mild soil lower speed settings like 2 or 3 can be used

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 11:10PM by squirrel1.

Re: tone bins
Posted by: bklein
Date: July 15, 2018 11:42AM
I beach hunt and am in beach1/2. What you are suggesting doesn’t apply.
I think that is what got me really concerned early on - everyone said run recovery speed this or that and it all seems to depend on the ground and detect mode.
I think recovery speed is really doing something other than simply varying the tone duration. I have a video showing that the tone duration remains fairly constant over the setting range. If yours is different please make a video.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login