Findmall.com

Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
dealing with bottle crown caps - TT blog
Posted by: Digger
Date: March 27, 2018 08:31PM
https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/dealing-with-bottle-crown-caps

You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH "Digger"

After more than 46-years of detecting, and having owned dozens of different detectors, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining success in the field is largely dependent on three things..... choice of site, acquiring a proper skill set for the detector and the detector itself..... in that order. Research, practice and persistence. There are no substitutes.

Re: dealing with bottle crown caps - TT blog
Posted by: laplander
Date: March 27, 2018 08:48PM
Great tip!!
Thanks Randy
Laplander

Posted by: CT Todd
Date: March 27, 2018 09:15PM
Yes will work perfectly. Deus bottle cap test at 4 kHz same principle. Make the switch if the number stays the same or goes down then get down and dig. If the TID goes up walk on by.

Dig Colonial or go Home! www.cttodd.com

Started in 97, Fav Coin 1774 2 Reales, Oldest Coin 1st Century Roman Silver

When I go detecting I always do so with permission of the land owner.

dealing with crown caps
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: March 27, 2018 11:17PM
Excellent Tip. Thanks for the link.

Rich -

Posted by: earthmansurfer
Date: March 28, 2018 05:17AM
I had tested this with 5 kHz and it worked fine. I don't think I saw the same jump in numbers at the other Frequencies but might be wrong. Has anyone tested this at 5 vs 10 kHz?

Signum 7272M
Detector - E-Trac
Pro-Pointer w/ Sidekick (supertuner)
Lesche Knife

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Yoda

Posted by: RichW
Date: March 28, 2018 09:46AM
Good info but it seems a little awkward to me. It would be ok if there was a few scattered but if you were in an area with great numbers of caps everywhere it would be tough.

Posted by: parkgt
Date: March 28, 2018 10:26AM
RichW
Good info but it seems a little awkward to me. It would be ok if there was a few scattered but if you were in an area with great numbers of caps everywhere it would be tough.

Seems like it would be less awkward and less tough than digging extra holes in someones yard or a public space.

ML NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705

Dealing with crown caps
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: March 29, 2018 06:17PM
RichW

Agree with RichW's statement above. Switching from multi- to 10kHz shows a big jump in the target ID # and makes a crown cap easily identifiable. However, you do have to switch from multi- to 10kHz.

Rich -

Posted by: BarryL
Date: March 31, 2018 04:35PM
CT Todd
Yes will work perfectly. Deus bottle cap test at 4 kHz same principle. Make the switch if the number stays the same or goes down then get down and dig. If the TID goes up walk on by.

Just curious can you post a Video of the Deus doing this as now I just use the backwards coil swing method and I use the Deus Fast program mainly sometimes switching to the ( hot program . I have come to notice that the caps seem to give a higher TID when doing this and also a Grunting tone

Posted by: georgemohr
Date: April 07, 2018 08:39PM
Great Info ... Being a 600 owner I'm wondering ... is it necessary to have the "ground balance and noise cancel" adjustments completed, in both multi and 10 kHz, before doing the bottle cap test?

Posted by: spellman
Date: April 14, 2018 05:56PM
I found that if you run a reference threshold i nulls out on bottlecaps.

Tesoro Vaquero with all Tesoro coils...gone but not forgotten, Tesoro Outlaw + cleensweep, Teknetics G2 with 5x10dd and 13" ultimate , Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab explorer se ,Propointer x 2 , T2 sold , Best finds = 36 gram 14k gangster necklace. Favorite find= time to go out dirt fishing.

Posted by: Chiv
Date: April 24, 2018 04:27AM
Most of the bottle caps I have been hitting have between 13 and 18(equinox800) depending on the sate of corrosion on/in them, the beaches are very heavy mineralised and ground balance is all ways on auto even then it still gets up set with the soil. I dig every thing that the machine sees as it clean up the beaches. I also get 20cent pieces between 14 and 21 , so I think the soil must have some thing to do with my numbers been scattered, aluminium to throws a lot of different numbers to depending on how its been scrunched up or laying flat, But sinkers are the most reliable numbers between 3 and 6, never thought of just using single frequency to check for ID s, I take all rubbish home to bin it.

Posted by: penzfan
Date: April 25, 2018 02:30PM
great tip

Posted by: Digger 45
Date: May 03, 2018 08:28AM
Tested gold rings with this method and it does not always work, when switching to 10 kHz some also get a higher number so it looks like to me that you could be missing gold, with the Deus dragging back you get a grunt with bottle caps and with gold and coins the hit sound just stops and you know that the target is at the tip of the coil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login