Findmall.com

Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Iron Bias question
Posted by: Bob38
Date: July 12, 2018 04:56PM
Noxers

Please tell me if I'm correct about Iron Bias (IB. Everything is an acronym nowadays). I have yet to find a good explanation of how IB works. Also, the manual just doesn't go far enough for me. Maybe I missed it somewhere. If so please send me in the right direction. Anyway below is my theory of how it MAY work.

THE BOB38 THEORY
For the IB to work, the detector needs to be in Multi-Frequency as the manual states. This tells me a mathematical algorithm is probably involved because I am a smart guy and I like saying "mathematical algorithm". Information from the Multi frequencies, depth, ground mineralization, and discrimination level may also figure into this algorithm to complete the analysis. The result of this algorithm corrupts this deception plot against us coin shooters which are launched by the natural processes of chemistry. Therefore, when hunting a patch of ground that indicates iron may be present, YOU adjust accordingly from 0-9.

Hell, maybe I don't need to know how it works. Maybe It's just a finely-tuned discrimination tool but I doubt it, it works too well for me.

You see this is the type of junk I think about.:shrug:

Etrac, Whites V3i, Equinox 800, XP Deus, Whites SL., Wiener dog and understanding wife

Re: Iron Bias question
Posted by: BobOso
Date: October 26, 2018 05:59PM
You lost me on what you are asking. But the simple solution to find the IB that you like is to put your target next to some iron, adjust the IB until you only hear the target, No math involved.

Posted by: pmhoover
Date: March 02, 2019 10:48PM
My interpretation is that iron bias is the amount of iron discrimination you choose to run. The higher the IB number, the more iron you are discriminating out (and likely, good targets as well). Run as low an IB as you can stand as you will get better depth and find more of the desirable targets. You'll get more iron too, but try and find a good balance between running the lowest IB you can and not driving yourself crazy with digging too many pieces of iron junk.

Posted by: MassSaltH2O
Date: March 10, 2019 11:16AM
Again, like most answers, it depends on what you are looking for. For gold hunters, the IB is the "Probablity of gold" setting. A higher IB setting indicates that the target has a greater probability of being gold. At the same time, you may be missing some smaller gold targets. Minelab suggests that you set the IB no higher than 3 if you are gold prospecting.
I'm going to set my IB up around 5, so at least I will have a 50 50 chance that the target is gold. I am not interested in any non gold targets tho. So first ask yourself, what am I mostly interested in finding? If you are finding too many iron bottle caps, try raising your I B. Hopes this helps..

Posted by: Bob38
Date: March 11, 2019 10:09AM
Thanks, MassSaltH2O

Played around with it this weekend in an area where the iron was extreme and found a 1917 merc that was only hitting one way.............after that, I was digging just about everything. Dug a lot of iron and rightly so. Recovering bent nails and circular items carry no shame but does waste a lot of time. I think I just need to get off my butt and take it to my test garden and adjust it little by little until I get a noticeable change and learn how the IB acts. I think that's the best option for me after this weekend.

Probably it would be best to bury some of this weekends finds in my test garden (bent nail iron rings and bottle caps). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Posted by: MassSaltH2O
Date: March 11, 2019 03:29PM
Bob38
Thanks, MassSaltH2O

Played around with it this weekend in an area where the iron was extreme and found a 1917 merc that was only hitting one way.............after that, I was digging just about everything. Dug a lot of iron and rightly so. Recovering bent nails and circular items carry no shame but does waste a lot of time. I think I just need to get off my butt and take it to my test garden and adjust it little by little until I get a noticeable change and learn how the IB acts. I think that's the best option for me after this weekend.

Probably it would be best to bury some of this weekends finds in my test garden (bent nail iron rings and bottle caps). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Good idea. Hope you have some silver buried in your garden as well, so you can determine what an optimal IB setting is for you. FYI, the default IB setting in the 800s gold mode is 6.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login