Findmall.com

Minelab Equinox Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Galveston Island ?
Posted by: Charles (Sabre)(Tx)
Date: August 06, 2018 03:35PM
Maybe some of the locals can help me?

I am planning a mini vacation to Galveston this weekend (8/10-12) and would like to do some water hunting while I am there. I have a Nox 600 and plan to use it and maybe also try out my Kruzer?

What are some of the beach rules concerning metal detecting on this island? We will be staying near the Casa Del Mar area.

Any help or local guiding in this would be appreciated. Any Galveston club members or regular hunters are welcome to join me and show me the ropes...but my time is limited as I will have other family obligations to complete while I am there.

Thanks!

Charles :usaf: :usaflag:

Re: Galveston Island ?
Posted by: jas415
Date: August 06, 2018 09:42PM
No rules except for Galveston State park just west of the seawall about a mile. No hunting on their beach. All other beaches are fine for detecting. I tend to look for where the crowds hang out. Stewart beach is #`1, then around 61st is #2. East Beach gets a lot of party traffic. Almost all beach access costs $15 and parking on the seawall costs also!! Low tide is usually late in the evening and that exposes a lot of wet beach. High tide is usually in the early AM. The 'umbrella lines' tend to be all dry and have recent clad droppings, along with bottle caps and pull tabs, and the occasional ring or ear ring.

There is a pocket beach (no charge) about 300 yards west of the entrance to Stella Mare RV park just beyond the west end of the seawall. Sort of like 'little Tijuana' on the weekends. Lots of other beach access along the west end of the island. Lots of guys surf fishing in the early mornings.

Posted by: Charles (Sabre)(Tx)
Date: August 07, 2018 12:02AM
Thanks for the reply. Going there this weekend and just needed to be sure I wasn't breaking any laws. The other info about the best places are a gem to me also! As I remember, Galveston has a lot of beach area that gets used this time of year. Hope I can hit a couple of them in the short while I am there. Thanks again!

Charles :usaf: :usaflag:

Posted by: u2robert
Date: September 12, 2018 05:10PM
I have detected Galveston. TX on the beaches and all over the Island. What I found was iron and metal trash, I think from all the storms a lot of trash got buried everywhere. So bring a detector that is good with iron discrimination or you will be digging your a@@ off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login