Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
:usaflag: What a Day!! :detecting:
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: August 12, 2009 09:11PM
I got home this afternoon to find that Clive's new book had arrived!

I checked with my jeweler friend and picked up the reward for finding 13 gold rings and called my Whites dealer friend and picked up a brand new Dual Field!

A late evening (just before dark) spin at the water's edge, above the water line, yielded 2 pennies and various nails, wire etc. none of which were exceptionally deep!

I gave the coins to a 4 year old boy that was watching very closely (too closely!) every move I made! (He wanted to scour the beach with my Garrett's Propointer to see what he might find!)

I spoke to a handful of people and children about the hobby demonstrating how the machine works and reassuring them that if they would just use a detector long enough it would pay for itself as mine had!

I'll hold off on printing my opinions of the Dual Field until I have had a chance to use it in the water!

On wet sand it seems no better than any other PI!

Maybe when I get in the suds after reading Clive's new book on using the PI I might have more to report!

CJ

CJ, At first i thought you were referring to Clive Cussler's books! Appears your having a great day!:DN/T
Posted by: Ron J
Date: August 13, 2009 08:09PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Cupajo, you are a good person making that little 4 year old boy happy................
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:15PM
It appears that you have had a good day! Good for you! Kelley (Texas) :clap:

At least you made the boy happy and maybe got him interested in MD.N/T
Posted by: Paul (AR)
Date: August 13, 2009 08:44PM

Sounds like a GREAT day cupa.....And you made the boy happy... I does not get much better than that!! :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: August 14, 2009 05:15PM

Re: :usaflag: What a Day!! :detecting:
Date: August 17, 2009 08:02AM
Makes me happy too!! :thumbup:

Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: August 17, 2009 12:53PM
Days like that are super! Mostly i never liked an audience because of really stupid or snarky comments from some adults, some were decent though and i always responded to kids and often gave out some 40's 50's pennies or sometimes 60's/70's metal toy cars which they thought were super old!:lol:

Date: August 17, 2009 02:18PM
I agree with you Wayne about how some folks can be smart mouthed and a pain to put up with!

The usual remark is when I find a large diamond it is theirs!

I just smile and tell them there are twenty five other people that told me the same thing so they will just have to get in line!!

I have learned to remove my earphones and take a moment to educate them about what I am doing and about what the hobby is about and how I have removed many fishhooks, bits of wire and broken bottles from the very beach where they are so casually walking barefooted to prevent them or perhaps a child from making a trip to the hospital!

I explain that metal detecting is unlike golf or most other hobbies going to pay for itself if you will get out and use the machine.

I also assured the folks I've spoken to that if the only motivation is money they can forget about it as I can make many times what I dig up at any job!

If it is a child I (discretely) show them what I am doing and how the machine works and sometimes l will send them on their way with a small coin or toy.

These actions promote the hobby, educate the ignorant and create good will .

If one wants fresh air, sunshine and interacting with people plus usually enough money to pay for coffee then this is the best hobby there is!

CJ

Date: August 19, 2009 07:14PM
I still have to spend some time with the DF to really understand her.

It's been too hot to catch the tide this week (which has been at mid-day), but early and late low tide is a few days away.

Clive's book helps and has answered the questions that have come up so far.

As for "the reward", I was of course referring to what I got for selling the 13 rings.

I was at the beach today asking around about a ring I found last year that I am trying to return.

I got a good lead on a wedding ring with three large diamonds from one person and a Ladies Rolex from another!

Wish me luck,

CJ

Good luck on those two... I found a ladies gold Rolex once... But since she hired me to find it, I had to return it!! :):N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: August 20, 2009 08:27AM

Re: Good luck on those two... I found a ladies gold Rolex once... But since she hired me to find it, I had to return it!! :):
Date: August 20, 2009 10:53AM
I haven't been "formally" asked to find either of these jewels, but I know who lost them and am obliged to see them returned should the hunting gods allow me to find them!

The diamond ring might be good for a reward and the watch might get my wife and me a set down to a meal in a fine local restraunt owned by the lady that lost the watch.

Counting chickens?

CJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login