Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Good one! There must be many stories like this in small communities throughout the world. Spooky stuff. :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: WillyP
Date: May 30, 2009 09:47AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

I would be reading this while I am alone here tonight. The boys are out
Posted by: Sunny
Date: May 30, 2009 09:37PM
somewhere, and Scott is working. I just went around and made sure all my doors were locked! Scarey story if you let them get to ya I guess! We had things like that or similar here in Saline County. Some were real, some weren't, but no one wants to be the one to tell you which ones are which! :(:unsure:

Kelley thats a good one.:thumbup:N/T
Posted by: Bayrat76
Date: May 31, 2009 11:21AM

BAYRAT76

That could sure get the puckerer a puckering for sure!
Posted by: Royal
Date: June 01, 2009 09:07AM
I suspect that being Holloween night and all some kid had some fun. It would be a temptation for sure but that don't explain all the other sightings. I don't even believe in ghosts a little bit but the imagination is something powerful, especially when it has been primed by many story's. It is sure real to the observer, especially if he is a believer.

But...... um, I could be wrong :D

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

Re: THE GHOST ON HIGHWAY 281.........
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: June 13, 2009 03:14PM
I certainly appreciate my story getting some attention here. I'm also the author of a now-OP book called THE LOST SAN SABA MINES. Anyone wanting to see--from the road, since it's on private property--the original 'Lost San Saba Mine,' which is nowhere near anything called San Saba, hasn't been lost since 1907--& Jim Bowie never had anything to do with it or any other mine in Texas--follow these directions. On Texas 71 below Llano there's a road on the west side known as Click Road. It's sometimes marked with a sign reading 'Click Cemetery,' because about the only thing left of the Click community is the cemetery. Turn off 71 onto Click Road. Where the road makes a 90-degree bend to the south, stop. The hill in front of you is Riley Mountain, originally called El Cerro de Almagre by Miranda. About in the middle of the saddle there are two huge liveoaks. The original Cueva de San Jose del Alcazar is at the foot of those trees. Locally it was called 'the Boyd shaft.' Today there are two holes there, looking almost like lenses on a pair of eyeglasses. The original hole is only about 4 feet deep. The hole next to it was dug in the 1920s by the Almagres Mining Company of Llano, in an attempt to find where the silver vein might have pinched out. The location was verified by none other than Dr. Herbert C. Bolton of Austin, author of TEXAS IN THE MIDDLE 18TH CENTURY, among much else. By his own statement, 'with Miranda's report in hand' he followed the Miranda party's trail landmark by landmark to locate the original Spanish shaft. The Almagres Mining Co., when it dug the new shaft, dumped its spoil down the Spanish hole.
Don't let the external appearance of Riley Mountain fool you. It's covered with limestone & nobody would think it could be a 'hill of red ocher' unless they dug into it. Less than a foot under that limestone cover you'll find all the 'almagre' you could possibly want.
TexasCharley

Re: Stories by Kelley (Texas) ............
Date: June 13, 2009 03:27PM
Yup, C. F. Eckhardt's still around & kickin', 'cause I'm C. F. Eckhardt. While doing research for that book I also did some relic shooting w/a metal detector. A strange, heavy black rock about the size of a pack of king-sized cigarettes set off the electronics. It was in a creekbed not far out of Brady. The 'rock' turned out to be native silver, about 98% pure. There's more of it up there--gold, too--but you have to know where to look. If you check out TexasEscapes.com & look in the archives of 'Charley Eckhardt's Texas,' you'll find a story called The Rangers' Creek of Gold. If you read Dobie's
CORONADO'S CHILDREN--& who hasn't, if you're into lost mines, buried treasure, & similar tales?--you'll find the original of the story in the first section of that book. The story in Texas Escapes will tell you how I came to identify that creek.

TexasCharley, I have read the book "THE LOST SAN SABA MINES"..........
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: June 13, 2009 03:31PM
I enjoyed it. In regards to Jim Bowie and his lost silver mine, and from all the research that I have done, I do not believe that he ever had a silver mine. It is possible that he might have found a cache of silver somewhere in the Hill Country, or the silver was stolen from the Mexicans...we will never know for sure.

Did you ever do any research on gold being in Reagan's Canyon down near the Big Bend? Many years ago, they brought some samples to San Antonio and it was indeed gold. Some folks think the gold may be just across the river in Mexico, not in Texas.

Also, I have read several of your other books too! I ride through Seguin quite often and have been tempted to meet with you and compare some historical notes, but I always figured that you would be too busy. Lately, I have been doing lots of historical research from the Gonzales area up to Luling and Lockhart...lots of interesting history in those areas. Slowly, but surely, I am putting together a journal about my travels throughout South Texas. Kelley (Texas) :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 03:38PM by Kelley (Texas).

Re: Stories by Kelley (Texas) ............
Date: June 13, 2009 03:43PM
Jim Miller was a cousin of John Wesley Hardin's. He neither drank nor smoked, nor did he ever use profanity. He had 2 nicknames. One was 'Preacher Miller' because, given an hour or so to prepare, he could preach a true hellfire & brimstone Methodist sermon on any subject in the Bible. The other was 'Killer Miller' because he'd kill anybody you wanted dead for $50. His favorite tool was a sawed-off 10-ga. shotgun. Incidentally, his last words just before they jerked him to Jesus were 'Let 'er rip."

Welcome TexasCharley!N/T
Posted by: Ron J
Date: June 13, 2009 04:51PM

The cemetery is all that is left of the old community................
Date: June 13, 2009 05:44PM
Last Saturday, I rode the bike to the site of an old community in Caldwell County, Texas that I have been researching. These pictures show all that is left of the old town

Stop in any time Charley!! Frendly folks here and we love a story:thumbup:N/T
Date: June 13, 2009 05:48PM

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

This is in reference to "Four men were hanged in Ada, Oklahoma in 1909" posted further down the page. :)N/T
Date: June 13, 2009 06:07PM

How interesting!! Boy I like your pictures. Nice and green this time of the year...
Date: June 13, 2009 06:09PM
It seems a shame that in many of those places the lives and history is lost for ever. Shame...

Interesting pictures and cemetery.
Posted by: George-CT
Date: June 13, 2009 06:24PM
Be interesting to hear what the town was when it we going and what became of it and why? I run into old cemetery's out in the woods.
Sometimes just a few of them or perhaps and entire family all in the one plot. I usually try to clean it of sticks etc if it needs it. For awhile in these parts people were doing rubbings of the old head stones on paper and charcoal and framing them for pictures in many homes. I wonder who took the time to cut the grass in the one you have pictured/ Nice gesture for sure. Shows respect for another human being for sure. Thanks for post.

George-CT

Great story/photo's Fred! Keep it coming!!N/T
Posted by: Ron J
Date: June 13, 2009 07:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login