Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Vaquero 5.75 Coil
Posted by: fltacoma
Date: December 30, 2017 05:49PM
Oh I surely will. I will let you know how it goes.

Posted by: synthnut
Date: January 12, 2018 06:55AM
I have a 6" Concentric on a Tesoro Vaquero and Silver Sabre microMAX, a 7" Concentric on a Mojave, a 6½" Concentric on a White's MX-7 and 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact, and they all handle the higher mineralized sites I hunt, and they all seem to hit as deep or a little deeper than an 8" or 9" or 950 Concentric, or a 7X11 DD ... in the trashier sites because the trash causes masking effects and the smaller-size coils handle it better. The smaller Double D coils I use, like the 'OOR' on my Nokta CoRe or 5" on a Relic or on an Impact, also deal with many conditions better than the mid-sized or larger coils, even to getting a slight depth advantages when masking inhibits the mid-size to larger-size coils of either type.

Hi Monte,
Thanks for your reply......I’m thinking that these comments just may be what I am contending with.....My thoughts were by buying the larger donut/ concentric coil that I would go deeper with the tighter focus that the concentric coil affords.....not thinking about how the size of the coil could be overwhelmed by shallow trash masking the good targets......BTW, I setup the Vaquero a lot of different ways ( discrimination,All metal, etc. ). Next move will be a 5.75 concentric coil to see if this is the case.....Sometimes less is more !!....... Thanks again..Jim

Posted by: Monte
Date: January 13, 2018 11:42AM
synthnut
Monte
I have a 6" Concentric on a Tesoro Vaquero and Silver Sabre microMAX, a 7" Concentric on a Mojave, a 6½" Concentric on a White's MX-7 and 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact, and they all handle the higher mineralized sites I hunt, and they all seem to hit as deep or a little deeper than an 8" or 9" or 950 Concentric, or a 7X11 DD ... in the trashier sites because the trash causes masking effects and the smaller-size coils handle it better. The smaller Double D coils I use, like the 'OOR' on my Nokta CoRe or 5" on a Relic or on an Impact, also deal with many conditions better than the mid-sized or larger coils, even to getting a slight depth advantage when masking inhibits the mid-size to larger-size coils of either type.

Hi Monte,
Thanks for your reply......I’m thinking that these comments just may be what I am contending with.....My thoughts were by buying the larger donut/ concentric coil that I would go deeper with the tighter focus that the concentric coil affords.....not thinking about how the size of the coil could be overwhelmed by shallow trash masking the good targets......BTW, I setup the Vaquero a lot of different ways ( discrimination,All metal, etc. ). Next move will be a 5.75 concentric coil to see if this is the case.....Sometimes less is more !!....... Thanks again..Jim
Jim, for more casual readers who might miss what I stated in your quote above, I emphasized why the smaller-size coils can get similar depth of detection, or possibly even better, than their larger size counterparts when working in a dense trash environment.

I forgot to add that I also use a small 'OOR' DD coil most of the time on my Makro Racer 2, or switch over to the 7" concentric coil.

As for my Vaquero, I like it because it does give me versatility with the enhanced lower-end Discriminate adjustment range, and I only use two Discrimination settings with the Vaquero. Models like the Bandido series or Silver Sabre series use the ED-120 Discrimination circuitry, therefore a minimum Disc. setting, which is all I ever use with them, is just above iron nail rejection and actually discriminates almost all common ferrous debris. My Silver Sabre microMAX is always set at the absolute minimum Disc. level.

With my other Regular-Use Detectors, all feature visual Target ID, audio Tone ID, and allow for a lower-end Discrimination setting, even down to accept ALL metal targets, be them ferrous or non-ferrous. I take advantage of that adjustment control as it lets me use the Discrimination at four settings:

• Minimum to hear ALL metal targets in the Discriminate mode.

• Low enough to just barely accept iron nails so I can hear that masking trash in a very 'busy' environment.

• Increased enough to just barely reject iron nails, if it gets annoying, even though I'll still hear some more conductive iron, but it helps eliminate some good-target masking.

• Right at the ferrous / non-ferrous break to reject most iron but still accept small foil, thin gold chains, etc.

With Tesoro models, the ED-180 Disc. circuitry is the all metal accept setting, but the Vaquero uses more of an ED-165ish adjustment range. So I use these settings most of the time:

• A the minimum Disc. level to hear nails and a lot of ferrous targets in more open sites when I am Relic Hunting for everything out there.

• Low enough to just barely accept iron nails so I can hear that masking trash in a very 'busy' environment but reject some other problem ferrous junk.

• Increased enough to just barely reject iron nails, if it gets annoying, which helps eliminate some good-target masking in nail-infested sites.

• Right at the ferrous / non-ferrous rejection to get rid of most iron but still accept small foil, thin gold chains, etc.

No matter which make or model detector I am using, I NEVER run the Discrimination higher than the Iron / Non-Iron break point because I don't like to reject any desired, favorable target like small gold rings, thin gold chains, tiny gold pendants and so forth.

So I like my Vaquero, and every other detector I maintain in my working arsenal because they work quite well ... and they have some excellent smaller coils available for them.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detector Team are from:
Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: synthnut
Date: 31 minutes ago
Hi Monte,
I thought that the 8 “ donut would “pinpoint “ moreso than the 5.75 DD coil since it is a concentric coil,not taking into account for the larger area of the coil picking up more trash......The 5.75 DD actually acted like a filter was switched on, and targets were separated to a higher degree.....I’m wondering if the same size concentric coil would embellish on this ( separating even more ) and being even more exacting........ ???????? ......Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login