Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Low tone, high tone Vaquero
Posted by: synthnut
Date: February 09, 2018 05:46AM
This is a question for those of you who went from a low tone Vaquero to a high tone Vaquero.....

Was it the fact that you were able to hear the Vaquero better with the high tone, or were the nuances of the tones ( the character of the tone that would make you dig a target or not) more telling than the low toned machine ?......Thanks,Jim

Reply from a 'High Tone' Vaquero guy.
Posted by: Monte
Date: February 10, 2018 02:00AM
synthnut
This is a question for those of you who went from a low tone Vaquero to a high tone Vaquero.....

Was it the fact that you were able to hear the Vaquero better with the high tone,...
YES, that was the main reason because according to the military hearing exam folks and one of the best ear surgeons in Oregon who treated me after I ruptured my (before the fall off the ladder) better hearing ear drum ... I am deaf. Hard of hearing or hearing impaired, whatever term they want to use.

I have owned four (4) Vaquero's in the past but had difficulty hearing target responses because they were designed with a much lower audio frequency (Tone) pitch than my other favorite Tesoro devices, such as the Silver Sabre microMAX or Bandido II microMAX. So with the new 'black' Vaquero I got to start 2017, I sent it off to Tesoro to have the High-Tone modification. I wish it was just a tad higher-pitched like my Bandido II microMAX, but I am pleased to have this Vaquero in my personal detector battery. I can now comfortably hear target responses much better than before.

synthnut
... or were the nuances of the tones (the character of the tone that would make you dig a target or not) more telling than the low toned machine?
Well, it is a YES to this one. also. One of the benefits of the High Tone Mode, for those with some hearing impairment for certain lower tones, is that they will be able to discern the nuances. I know people who have good hearing and they get along well with their Vaquero at the standard designed audio pitch but, for some of us, the modification helps us be able to hear the subtle differences of a target's audio response better.

So, YES to both parts of your question for those who have difficulty with the lower 'standard' audio Tone and opt to go for the High Tone mod so that they can better hear and discern the target response.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Low tone, high tone Vaquero
Posted by: synthnut
Date: February 18, 2018 04:58PM
Thanks for the info Monte....... I know that my hearing is not all that good, but I’m not sure what frequencies are good or at least better than others....Jim

Posted by: RicS
Date: February 28, 2018 08:13PM
As Monte, my favorites all had higher tones as well, so I had mine changed. Made a big difference, and certainly was more comfortable if for no other reason than familiarity. The simplicity and depth of this detector makes it one of my favorites to use.

South Central Virgina - Garret DeepSeeker ADS, Toltec 100, Golden Sabre, StingRay, Vaquero, Tejon

"The simplicity and depth .."
Posted by: Monte
Date: March 01, 2018 06:46AM
I couldn't agree more. I have never liked complexity in a detector which is supposed to be a 'fun' device, and the Vaquero has a solid place in my Regular-Use Detector Team because it is Simple, and part of the Performance benefits is the decent depth-of-detection is provides. :thumbup:

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: BarberBill
Date: April 22, 2018 05:15PM
I had my vaq changed to the high tone and much prefer it.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login