Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
MXT or Vaquero, I can't decide...
Posted by: backlashd
Date: September 15, 2009 09:54AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been researching a new detector with the help from you kind folks here.:beers: I think I've narrowed my choice to these models as they seem readily available used and seem like great bang for the buck and very versatile. I probably will never prospect for gold, rather mostly looking for deep coins and some relics. I know deep isn't everything, but between these two with the 8x9 and 950 coils respectively which one is deeper on coins? And one more time, give me a shove in the right direction please. :biggrin:

Thanks again
dntfxr

Re: MXT or Vaquero, I can't decide...
Date: September 15, 2009 03:48PM
Ok I've got a good deal lined up on an MXTand I'm ready to pull the trigger. Yea or nea??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 03:49PM by backlashd.

Posted by: Beale
Date: September 15, 2009 04:43PM
If you have a deal on the MXT? I would go for it. The 2 machines are applles to oranges. Beep dig VS a VID unit. Both will find the goods. The MXT and the good deal IMHO make it the winner, Beale.

What Is Important To You ?
Posted by: Brokensignal
Date: September 15, 2009 05:48PM
Hi backlashd what is important to you?.What kind of warranty does whites have?,Tesoro has a life time warranty,how much does the MXT weigh?,the Vaquero weighs 2.2lbs.I know the Vaquero goes deep,it is my best detector out of four,scroll down this forum a couple pages to Some Carolina History and check the relics from the early 1700's.Most were found with a Tesoro Vaquero.Do you need a screen to tell you to dig or not to dig?How many batteries does the MXT take,the Vaquero takes one 9v.I bet you can buy two Tesoros for the good deal you are getting on the MXT.Be careful on buying used equipment,a lot of people have been getting ripped on buying used detectors,finding out latter that something is bad on the detector or coil.I had a Whites in the 70's,i quit buying them because they are to heavy and starting selling and pushing detectors with bells & whistles.Good luck on your decision.

Date: September 15, 2009 06:34PM
Thanks again guys, I ended up going with option #3 for now. I found a Minelab Explorer XS for a deal I couldn't pass up. I will still get a Vaquero in a few months to compliment it and who knows I may like it better. I know the minelab will be more complicated to learn but I enjoy that kind of stuff. Thanks again and HH!

Backlashd aka dntfxr

Well, even though you decided on an Explorer XS, let me comment.
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 16, 2009 08:55AM
You could have qualified what your intended use was a bit better than you did.

It's a moot point to compare the performance between an 8X9 on one brand and model against a 9

Re: Well, even though you decided on an Explorer XS, let me comment.
Posted by: dahut
Date: September 16, 2009 08:12PM
Interesting Monte - I have concluded much as you on the Vaquero.
I am looking now for a reasonably priced MXT, myself.

David
Whatever you do, do it with enthusiasm.

"All of society comes to nothing without good plumbing."

Posted by: Neil
Date: September 16, 2009 11:10PM
Monte

It's a moot point to compare the performance between an 8X9 on one brand and model against a 9

Posted by: Neil
Date: September 16, 2009 11:16PM
dahut

I believe the MXT is twice the weight of the Vaquero, no matter how you balance it, its heavier by a bit. I found the 6X10 made it easier on the arm and still got good depth. Nice machine, you should have some fun with it.

Neil

Posted by: dahut
Date: September 17, 2009 05:10AM
Neil
dahut

I believe the MXT is twice the weight of the Vaquero, no matter how you balance it, its heavier by a bit. I found the 6X10 made it easier on the arm and still got good depth. Nice machine, you should have some fun with it.

Neil
You are right. I own a Vaquero and have swung the MXT. It is tolerable in its differences, IMHO.

David
Whatever you do, do it with enthusiasm.

"All of society comes to nothing without good plumbing."

Posted by: Bill in Texas
Date: September 17, 2009 09:52AM
I bought my Vaquero used for $175 and it is a great machine and Tesoro is a great company on the warranty. Super tuned it is deeper than I want to dig. it will read those very small targets that my whites (now sold) that cost a lot more money would go right across. I have a buddy that has a M6 and I have found gold right behind him, but of course that might just be his ability to use his machine. I have found more gold with it than any other machine I have owned and I have owned all major brands. I think that all the major brands will get the job done and it is just what you get used to and like. That is why there are different car makers also. I have been detecting since 1968 and started with a BFO back then. I bought a old BFO here a while back (for nostalgia) and found wit items with it before turning a profit with it. Bill in Texas

Bill in Texas - Tesoro Inca, Toltec 100, Silver Saber Umax, Silver Umax, Compadre, and Vaquero

Date: September 17, 2009 06:37PM
Monte

Posted by: AUDuke
Date: September 18, 2009 10:26PM
I must have an extra good Vaquero or a poor Bandito II, because my V is deeper and more sensitive than my Bandito.

Posted by: amcjavelin
Date: October 03, 2009 06:37PM
the vaquero is a sweet machine for sure you will definitly like the lightness and the feel and it is simple to run set disc above foil and off you go foud a lot of great finds for sure!

Posted by: Old Katz
Date: October 04, 2009 09:09AM
I just bought the Vaquero and I'm not all that impressed with it. It is, as someone commented,
a beep and dig detector. If your a relic hunter I guess thats ok. It may do ok hunting for gold
nuggets as its 14 kHz and has GB and so does the MXT. Its not a bad machine but it will never replace my MXT
not ever.
Get the MXT. Just my opinion.

Katz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login