Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Got A First...A Partially Started Coin Ring And A Silver Ring. What Are The Chances:shrug:
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: September 26, 2017 11:03PM
I headed out after work for a couple of hours. My third signal turned out to be a US Quarter, with the outside edges partially hammered, a way to make a coin ring with a shiny outside. Also found a silver ring..... my last find of the evening. I headed home and finished the coin-ring.

Below is a link to an article "COIN RING CRAFTING" I wrote for Western And Eastern Treasure many years ago:

http://www.detectorplace.com/detecting/Coinrings/HowtomakeaCoinRings.pdf

Re: Got A First...A Partially Started Coin Ring And A Silver Ring. What Are The Chances:shrug:
Posted by: marcomo
Date: September 26, 2017 11:38PM
Fascinating read, John. Thanks for sharing...and writing. I had forgotten you did these. Impressive talent!

Re: Got A First...A Partially Started Coin Ring And A Silver Ring. What Are The Chances:shrug:
Posted by: dfmike
Date: September 27, 2017 06:28PM
Thanks for the PDF John. Any video tutorials next ???

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars Universal shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer, Killer B's camo and Jolly Rogers headphones plus an excessive amount of assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Re: Got A First...A Partially Started Coin Ring And A Silver Ring. What Are The Chances:shrug: :cam::video::video:
Date: September 27, 2017 08:26PM
Here's a Video On Coin-ring Making https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojv19Eh5tTM

Here's one on making shotgun shell rings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1efE17Ito

Date: September 28, 2017 04:14PM
Thanks John. Very nice. I'm just wondering about the purpose of the annealing process over heat. Is it only to change the appearance ?

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars Universal shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer, Killer B's camo and Jolly Rogers headphones plus an excessive amount of assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Date: September 28, 2017 05:07PM
The annealing process softens the metal. After a coin, shotgun shell is pressed from a die, it is very hard. If you try to stretch/bend copper/silver/brass, it will crack or split. So, you anneal before doing any serious bending or stretching, which brings it back to a soft state. Don't let it get too red, or it can blister. A nice dull pink works well. You can either quench it in water, a pickling solution or let it air cool. Using a pickling solution keeps the surface from oxidizing while it is cooling down.

Below is a recipe for home made pickling solution.

http://www.natashalh.com/tutorial-thursday-recipe-to-make-your-own-natural-jewelers-pickle/

Date: September 29, 2017 06:57PM
That walking liberty ring ! Awesome. I was thinking of turning the 1967 silver cougar/bobcat quarter into a ring. I think it would look really nice with the animal right in the middle of the ring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login