Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Fisher F- Pinpointer
Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: April 20, 2018 02:47PM
basstrackerman
Short list indeed .. I have a question.. both of my f-pulse pinpointers hate my equinox. I've went through all of the frequency shifts , I believe 16 and none help it completely. If I'm 5 ' from detector my pinpointers misbehave.. chatter, stop detecting smaller items, lose alot of sensitivity etc. But as soon as I shut off detector they start acting normal. I love how they are when detector is off, but absolutely hate both of them anywhere near my detector.. to the point of selling both and trying something else. Any suggestions??

Frequency shifting is most effective when you are dealing with narrowband single frequencies; that is, a single freq main detector and a single freq pinpointer. The F-Pulse is PI, so it's a wideband design, and the Equinox is multi-freq, also wideband. That makes it a lot more difficult to find an F-Pulse frequency that won't interfere with any of the Equinox channels. With any PP it's gonna be a crapshoot, so I suggest you take the Equinox with you next time, and try out individual PPs until you find one that works.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: April 20, 2018 05:19PM
Wow!

Clarity, honesty and technical competence. I wonder what detector manufacturer that guy works for?

I hope the marketing folks where he works appreciate what a huge difference this kind of open discussion makes to real enthusiasts like us.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: basstrackerman
Date: April 20, 2018 07:44PM
Carl thank you very much. Nice to have honesty ..

Retired...happy...been detecting since 1978. Bill

Posted by: roadapple
Date: April 20, 2018 11:03PM
Just wondering if the f-pulse would work along side a PI detector,such as a whites TDI or GPX ?
Carl-NC

Short list indeed .. I have a question.. both of my f-pulse pinpointers hate my equinox. I've went through all of the frequency shifts , I believe 16 and none help it completely. If I'm 5 ' from detector my pinpointers misbehave.. chatter, stop detecting smaller items, lose alot of sensitivity etc. But as soon as I shut off detector they start acting normal. I love how they are when detector is off, but absolutely hate both of them anywhere near my detector.. to the point of selling both and trying something else. Any suggestions??

Frequency shifting is most effective when you are dealing with narrowband single frequencies; that is, a single freq main detector and a single freq pinpointer. The F-Pulse is PI, so it's a wideband design, and the Equinox is multi-freq, also wideband. That makes it a lot more difficult to find an F-Pulse frequency that won't interfere with any of the Equinox channels. With any PP it's gonna be a crapshoot, so I suggest you take the Equinox with you next time, and try out individual PPs until you find one that works.

Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: April 20, 2018 11:38PM
roadapple
Just wondering if the f-pulse would work along side a PI detector,such as a whites TDI or GPX ?

I would expect so, though I haven't tried them.

Posted by: Trailduster
Date: April 21, 2018 02:54PM
Carl-NC

I run it on #3 sensitivity over the plug, then drop it down to 1 sensitivity when pointing around the whole looking for the exact location if it's deeper than 3".
It was a little overwhelming at first with all the different customization settings and only one button to do it all, but really. it's nothing after a quick trial and error session.

I assumed that most people set the sensitivity and the beep/vibe mode once, and leave it there. I've had several people tell me they like to switch sensitivity on-the-fly, so I'm trying to figure out a way to do that more easily & quicker. One way is to split the beep/vibe mode off to its own "menu" so that to change sensitivity you only need to cycle through 3 settings instead of 9. I'll chew on it some more. Suggestions welcomed.

I don't really think it's a big issue or deal breaker. I think the orginal garrett dominated a monopolized market and people are used to quicker 1 click, 1 setting on/off button. Now that the tech has advanced and so many more companies are producing handhelds, it's just a matter of time/trial and error and getting used to the trade-off's

This new F Pulse is fine. It literally takes 3 seconds to toggle through the options, whereas the simpler pinpointers are 1 second or less. Really, people just need to slow down a bit and relax. It's like a kid on Christmas day tearing through presents not appreciating a single one.

In my opinion. Nothing to change. It's fine the way it is. If people complain about the time it takes to toggle the menu, they are probably the same people who years ago frowned on "new" generation detectors with options other than "beep and dig" older generation machines. You'll never change the minds of those people. I know a guy who still carried a flip phone, says he has no use for a smartphone. His loss.

Now, if you wanted to add a second button because toggling through the options on one button might decrease the life of that one button. That may be a worthwhile reason to change the F Pulse. But, convenience is in the eye of the beholder so I wouldn't sweat the toggle time issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 03:00PM by Trailduster.

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: April 22, 2018 08:54AM
Seems like pinpointers have come a long way over the years....have to be careful as some interfere with certain units...

Posted by: broadsmaster
Date: April 26, 2018 02:53PM
everytime you start the equinox up and do a noise cancel , do it with the f - pulse turned on , it should then run quiet as a mouse....

Minelab explorer se
minelab equinox 800

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: April 27, 2018 09:54AM
broadsmaster
everytime you start the equinox up and do a noise cancel , do it with the f - pulse turned on , it should then run quiet as a mouse....

The problem with noise cancelling to the pinpointer is that you could be settling on a channel that lets in too much emi from other sources. My Pistol Probe would not work at all around my ctx. I've heard other Minelab guys say the same thing about that one and the (PI) xpointer also. They just don't seem to play well with fbs machines. The Pistol Probe did work fine with my cz however, which is also a multifreaker.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2018 09:56AM by mrwilburino.

Posted by: broadsmaster
Date: April 27, 2018 10:17AM
surely noise cancelling the pinpointer is no different to noise cancelling a detecting partners detector out ?

Minelab explorer se
minelab equinox 800

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: April 27, 2018 03:12PM
If your going to be working close enough to another detector that the other machine becomes the biggest source of emi, then yeah, you need to noise cancel to that machine. But anytime you do that, you risk leaving yourself open to other sources of emi which may have canceled out better on a different channel. I'm not saying people shouldn't hunt with their buddy, but in the case of the pinpointer, it's better to just eliminate that source of emi by using a different pinpointer with that machine.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: iDetectorX
Date: May 26, 2018 04:18PM
Try turning the F-Pulse/Tek-Point on before you turn the Equinox on. Then turn the Equinox on and do a noise cancel. This should do the trick as others have suggested. If not, cycle through the pinpointer channels again. The bit of interference I've experienced from one model to another has never really bothered me since I'm only using the pinpointer when I'm not using the main machine. It's a minor annoyance unless it causes flashing of the Pointer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 04:28PM by iDetectorX.

Posted by: mrdave03
Date: May 27, 2018 05:17PM
Of those who have had issues.. what were the repair results? I've had mine 3 weeks and tried various battery setups. It worked great the first week. Now I find it turns itself off after about 30 seconds often. When I can keep it running I notice when I tap the ground even lightly it beeps and restarts itself. At times it starts constantly beeping for no reason and I need to turn it off and back on to clear it. I've also had to pull batteries on multiple occasions as it just locks up. It seems to have multiple issues going on not just one. Rather frustrating only a week in when all these odd things started happening. It now has eneloop rechargeable batteries and does the crazy thing still but less often.

Posted by: still looking 52
Date: May 28, 2018 10:44AM
mrdave03
Of those who have had issues.. what were the repair results? I've had mine 3 weeks and tried various battery setups. It worked great the first week. Now I find it turns itself off after about 30 seconds often. When I can keep it running I notice when I tap the ground even lightly it beeps and restarts itself. At times it starts constantly beeping for no reason and I need to turn it off and back on to clear it. I've also had to pull batteries on multiple occasions as it just locks up. It seems to have multiple issues going on not just one. Rather frustrating only a week in when all these odd things started happening. It now has eneloop rechargeable batteries and does the crazy thing still but less often.
I'd be looking for some help under warranty, sounds to me like you've got a defective one.

Posted by: Elton
Date: May 28, 2018 11:23AM
UHHHHHHH I'm thinking, thinking,thinking............ uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oh yea you fine Sir.....:devil:............
:thumbup:......:clapping: Thank you fine Sir for all you do.. "Your the best"...

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login