Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Buying my first new detector in years, need help.
Posted by: Foreverteachable
Date: May 15, 2018 04:05PM
Good day all. I'm looking for a new detector and have $400 that my wife said I could spend and also a few hundred that I can cough up through other side jobs. I started off using a whites classic ID SL in 97'after I did my 4 years in the Corps. and bought a DFX years later (I frequented the DFX Only forum here when Dave Z was alive) that was traded for a Shadow X5. I recently had an opportunity to use a Fisher F-22 and was much impressed with how far the machines have come over the years and how inexpensive a good model can still be. I'm looking for a machine that is reliable, can compete with other deep Seekers but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. ( I got out of detecting for a while because I found fly tying and fly fishing and realized that the river were rhe stocked with fish unlike the ground with coins and buttons LOL) I also don't mind a detector that is good on batteries LOL. I hunt in Upstate New York York and New England and I don't know if that is considered highly mineralized soil or not. I go to the beach once in a blue moon to detect but most of the time I fish. I don't mind tweaking a machine and learning it but don't like one that falses all the time and has major e m i trouble. I hunt a lot of old Cellar holes, old parks, and also fields with a lot of Old Iron nails. I'm looking for something that has tone ID but I don't really have to look at the screen all the time. The classic ID had a great screen and you could tell if it was a nickel or a pull tab but I don't really need perfect vdi numbers. I'm on the fence but I was thinking an F75 with DST, the Equinox, or the makro multi kruzer or any other suggestions. I'm also willing to put my shadow X5 towards it with the 7 inch and 5 inch coils even though I like that unit my buddy is giving me an AT Pro as well that I'm sure is comprable to the X5. I really appreciate all the help and I don't mind sounding like a newbie it's kind of cool to get back into detecting after fly fishing obsessively for so long.

Upstate NY/New England Treasure Hunter Marine Corps Veteran,Teacher, Author, Fly Tyer and fisherman

Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic SL(not working now), Troy shadow X5, Fisher F22, White's Coinmaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 04:08PM by Foreverteachable.

Re: Buying my first new detector in years, need help.
Posted by: KindManTall
Date: May 15, 2018 06:45PM
You should check the Nokta Impact ... 12 modes x 3 frequency

Date: May 15, 2018 07:02PM
Thanks a bunch I haven't thought about the nokta

Posted by: dfmike
Date: May 15, 2018 07:21PM
I have the Nokta CoRe and I like it a lot but I sometimes wish I had more options. I would go with either the Impact or multi Kruzer today. If you don't need multi frequency, value wise, you can't beat the F75+ or T2+ which are also excellent choices. You get a nice package including a superb pin pointer at a very attractive price.

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars Universal shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer, Killer B's camo and Jolly Rogers headphones plus an excessive amount of assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Date: May 15, 2018 09:23PM
Thanks Mike! The multi kruzer definitely looks like a great detector as well and I had a dealer said that he knock some money off of it but what made me think of Minelab as a great choice is that they're offering 15% discount for veterans. I wonder if the other companies are doing the same thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login