Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Any Doctors in the house??
Posted by: budster
Date: May 16, 2018 01:14PM
My grandson recently had some surgical staples put on a head wound. To amuse him I decided to show him what a pin pointer would do. To my surprise, they didn't produce any response. Checked the pin pointer (Garrett carrot), it worked on a regular staple. What are surgical staples made from that can't be detected??

Re: Any Doctors in the house??
Posted by: azsh07
Date: May 16, 2018 01:27PM
Should be surgical grade stainless as almost any instrument used in surgical repair etc is a surgical stainless steel. Some are mostly titanium and even some..those that are not removed I think are a special bio plastic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 01:31PM by azsh07.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: May 16, 2018 03:49PM
Pinpointer should pick up stainless just fine,,,I have 5 loops of stainless in my sternum that sound off without difficulty so it must be some kind of plastic.

Date: May 16, 2018 04:18PM
budster
My grandson recently had some surgical staples put on a head wound. To amuse him I decided to show him what a pin pointer would do. To my surprise, they didn't produce any response. Checked the pin pointer (Garrett carrot), it worked on a regular staple. What are surgical staples made from that can't be detected??
I will get some pics up in a bit. My Minelab Safari won't pick them up either, and they are definitely metal of some sort. They even have a special staple remover to take them out. It bends them into a sort of W shape.

Date: May 16, 2018 05:00PM
Here is a photo. The paper staple is just for size. These staples are extremely stiff. Hard to bend with your fingers

Its the alloy and heat treatment....(and mode)
Posted by: vlad
Date: May 16, 2018 11:02PM
I've had new 8 penny galvanized nails fail to register in disc and stat (but they did in pinpoint on C$, CZ & Cointrax Baron) and these nails are huge compared to your staples.
At times metallurgy can make about as much sense as alchemy.:drinking:

I'll call your :buds:
Posted by: vlad
Date: May 16, 2018 11:06PM
5 loops and raise you the 3 pins and 3 screws in my shoulder. :rofl:

Posted by: sprchng
Date: May 17, 2018 10:44AM
Interesting , google says they could be titanium but there are indeed a couple of plastic varieties as well.
Soon there won't be any.
I had no sutures , they just glued me back together.
I asked the surgeon what the difference in the super glue he uses and the stuff you by Home Depot or WalMart is and he said about $35!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login