Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Your best machine?
Posted by: JJames1610
Date: June 16, 2018 01:15AM
Yeah mine was the gtax 1000. When i was using it everything just felt right, or in balance. Hard to explain. Also used cz-5 that i felt was a very good detector to.

Posted by: TerryEastTexas
Date: June 16, 2018 02:05AM
I would have to go with my Troy X5. It was light, well balanced. For some it was a love it or hate it machine but I worked well with it. A nickle magnet.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: June 16, 2018 02:37PM
MX5. Best and most fun machine since I sold my CZ 5.

Re: High trash......
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 16, 2018 10:51PM
vlad
a Teknetics Mk-1; .....

And a legendary machine. Still many loyal followers.

Posted by: Normx2
Date: June 17, 2018 12:49PM
Lobo Supertraq

Posted by: crazyman
Date: June 17, 2018 01:51PM
Whites 5900/6000 series. My main detectors for most of my hunting for over 20+ years. The 4 filter design handled the bad ground here in the Pacific Northwest including our nasty beaches and the analog meter could tell you more about targets in ground than any of the digital detectors made today.

XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT

Posted by: Southwind
Date: June 17, 2018 03:13PM
I really clicked with the Whites DFX. Used one for many years and still keep one on hand.

I have tried many but only a few really stand out for me. The Minelab E-Trac, the Garrett AT Pro and currently the Minelab 800

Now factor this in. up to about 15 years ago I was a 70% coins 30% relic hunter. About 2006 I switched to more like 60% gold/tot lot 30% coins 10% relics hunter.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2018 03:20PM by Southwind.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: June 17, 2018 05:42PM
slingshot

I agree with slingshot, the MX5 is a deep and sensitive metal detector. I own a lot of fun analog machines but this digital detector does everything so well that it is hard to put away. It did great at Monte's hunt back in May at Wells NV. Toano NV is the most iron infested site I have ever hunted and it did as well as anything there.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: June 17, 2018 07:45PM
Toano's a piece of cake!----We should have taken you to a couple of our "iron infested" sites.:smile:-----How many coins did you find Randy?---I didn't make that hunt.
Hombre

I agree with slingshot, the MX5 is a deep and sensitive metal detector. I own a lot of fun analog machines but this digital detector does everything so well that it is hard to put away. It did great at Monte's hunt back in May at Wells NV. Toano NV is the most iron infested site I have ever hunted and it did as well as anything there.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: June 17, 2018 08:21PM
D&P-OR
Toano's a piece of cake!----We should have taken you to a couple of our "iron infested" sites.:smile:-----How many coins did you find Randy?---I didn't make that hunt.

Del...you know I did not find one single coin on that hunt. But it was fun to hunt this old ghost town, tin cans were everywhere. If you hunt worse sites than Toano...you are a better man than I am...lol

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: June 17, 2018 09:23PM
:smile: I've been to plenty of those type of sites and didn't come out with one single coin Randy (especially in our winter travels)----You had fun & that's what it's all about.---And yeah, some of them are "one big tin can" (and iron)!:tongue:
Hombre

Del...you know I did not find one single coin on that hunt. But it was fun to hunt this old ghost town, tin cans were everywhere. If you hunt worse sites than Toano...you are a better man than I am...lol

Posted by: Elton
Date: June 17, 2018 10:47PM
crazyman
Whites 5900/6000 series. My main detectors for most of my hunting for over 20+ years. The 4 filter design handled the bad ground here in the Pacific Northwest including our nasty beaches and the analog meter could tell you more about targets in ground than any of the digital detectors made today.

I agree !

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Ghost Towns
Posted by: vlad
Date: June 18, 2018 04:51AM
Any of you try a compass Yukon 77B or other 100 kHz unit in those situations?
It will hit conductors in a small group of nails if tuned conductive; it set to mineral, nulls on conductors and hits on iron.
Two people working together could probably pull some goodies out.

77b
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 18, 2018 10:33AM
Well, individual nails, yes. But entire flattened tin-soldered cans would .... unfortunately .... give a beep. Yes it was a beep where you'd know it was large-iron about to fool you. So you *could* elect to pass those flattened coffee cans and cast-iron stove parts. But if the objective was to eliminate masking, you usually found yourself digging those up anyhow. After all, something could be underneath those larger iron objects, eh ?

But yes: For individual nails, the 77b was awesome. You could lay 3 rusty nails right over a coin, and still get a conductive beep. Yet for the nails-alone, it would silence out.

But in every other way, was/is a dinosaur. Eg.: Poor ability in minerals, a bear to keep balanced, no other form of disc., 3 to 4" tops depth for coins, etc...... And some of today's 2-filter tesoros & such can come close to mimicking the ability anyhow ....

Posted by: JaWi.
Date: June 18, 2018 10:43AM
I've had lots of them, XLT's, MXT"s MX5,Golden Sabre2, Umax's, ATPro, but my favorite now is F75+.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login