Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Your best machine?
Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: June 18, 2018 02:10PM
The 3 I use now along with the Nautilus IIBa are My all-time faves.
But if I had to pick just one I would have to say a 'Properly tuned' CZ-3D. Have went back behind Minelab's including My own and found Deep Coins they missed. Besides I am an Old school analog Guy at heart.

CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 02:11PM by Harold,ILL..

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: June 18, 2018 04:35PM
Elton

Whites 5900/6000 series. My main detectors for most of my hunting for over 20+ years. The 4 filter design handled the bad ground here in the Pacific Northwest including our nasty beaches and the analog meter could tell you more about targets in ground than any of the digital detectors made today.

I agree !
times 2...., reasonable depth,fast, IDs very well and hits good on micro jewelry, chains ,studs etc... can turn disc up high to avoid almost all can slaw and still get good depth on dimes and quarters and silver..

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: June 18, 2018 06:07PM
Best Recent drop jewelry & clad coins - White's V3i with BigFoot coil
Best Competition hunt detector - White's DFX with HotFoot coil
Best Wet Saltwater Beach - Minelab Sovereign GT maybe my Equinox 800 will become my favorite(haven't used it at the beach yet)
Best Freshwater - Tesoro Tiger Shark because Makro doesn't have waterproof headphones available yet for my Multi Kruzer
Best Old Lot - Ghost town - railroad siding detector - Makro Multi Kruzer
Best deep silver detector - Minelab Equinox 800

Right now if I could only have one detector, I'd have to take the Makro Multi Kruzer with an assortment of coils (which I have) for the types of hunting I usually do.

Arizona
43 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Makro Multi Kruzer
Makro Racer 2
White's DFX x 3
Minelab Equinox 800

Posted by: Jerry Ga.
Date: June 18, 2018 06:16PM
Nautilus DMC IIB and now the Teknetics T2 Classic. As Nauti Neil stated the old Nautilus will shame many of the newer detectors produced today. Jerry Tyndall was a genius !!

Posted by: oneguy
Date: June 19, 2018 08:04PM
Etrac for coinshootin….. (pretty much quit coinshootin last year but I did get in 3 hrs with the eTrac about a month ago and got these coins...gold with the Monster)

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 for gold.....

Minelab Gold Monster 1000
E-Trac (13" Ultimate, 6" EQ2, NEL ss, Pro, X-1)
GPX 5000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 08:07PM by oneguy.

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 20, 2018 07:22AM
x3. The 6000 di pro was very versatile. Even though it's now well over 25 yrs. old (?), there is still a few guys here who refuse to swing anything else, to this day.

And the original 6000d series 1, back in the late 1970s, spanked everything else on the market !

Posted by: slingshot
Date: June 20, 2018 08:11AM
Tom_in_CA
x3. The 6000 di pro was very versatile. Even though it's now well over 25 yrs. old (?), there is still a few guys here who refuse to swing anything else, to this day.

And the original 6000d series 1, back in the late 1970s, spanked everything else on the market !
And in the. 70's I had plenty of AVAILABLE places to hunt!:super:

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: June 21, 2018 02:14PM
I have used many detectors over the years and have made some excellent finds to include a CS tongue, but mine would be the Nautilus 2b...my current detector in the Nauty line-up and has found 3/4 of my collection. Previous Nautilus detectors including the old horseshoe model has proved their worth also. I have two others, the T2+, which hasn't been seen the dirt yet and the At Max. The Max has done well so far in some hard hit spots and has found a button that won me second place in Vaughan Garrett's contest.

Nautilus 2b* Anfibio Multi* Lesche Piranah* Garrett ZLynk pinpointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: June 22, 2018 10:11AM
My other detectors are fun, but my BEST detector is the F75 LTD with DST. A stable F75 LTD is just pure joy to hunt with and if I'm ever down to only one detector, it will always be the ONE.

HH
Mike

Currently own and use:
*****Fisher F75 LTD w/DST ***** Whites V3 *****GoldBug Pro*****Minelab E-Trac*****Teknetics ETPro *****Teknetics Omega 8500***** Tesoro Golden Sabre II *****Tesoro Compadre *****Garrett ATPRO*****

Posted by: Neil
Date: June 28, 2018 11:41PM
Sovereign, XS in particular.....

in everything give thanks

Etrac
X5
T2

I don't have 'A' best detector, but I do have 'A FEW' that are 'best' for assorted applications.
Posted by: Monte
Date: June 29, 2018 05:51PM
I have both older and very new detector models in my Regular-Use Detector Team, and I keep favored search coils mounted and tote along only those that have worked well for me as needed afield. I've spent over fifty-three years avidly detecting a wide-range of sites, and due to the different types of ground conditions dealt with and the density and types of debris I encounter, in both urban environments as well as out in the vast rural locations, there isn't one single detector that I felt would be my 'best' pick.

Thus, I own and use a variety of makes and models that can generally "do-it-all" if needed, but perhaps specialize more in one area of interest over some of the others.

Older, but dependable, personal favorites:
Tesoro Bandido II w/6" Concentric mounted for any place I would want to work a Tesoro.
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil mounted, and an 8" Concentric as a sparse-trash area back-up.
White's Classic ID .. modified .. w/5½" Concentric 'Ferret' coil mounted for primary use, and 8" Concentric for the rare times I would use it to cruise more open areas.

Newer, more 'modern,' and also dependable personal favorites:
Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD (4.7X5.2) mounted, and 5X9½ DD open-frame coil for moderate to sparsely littered sites.
Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD mounted, and 5X9½ DD open-frame coil for moderate to sparsely littered sites.
Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric mounted, and either an 'OOR' or 5" DD coil for dense iron debris areas.
White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric mounted, and either a 7" DD open-frame for user in water, or 950 Concentric for open-area use.

I've read posts by several others in this thread who I know have one or more additional detectors than the one they specifically pointed out, and that's for very good reason. They provide a different level of performance that complements what they feel is their 'best' or 'favorite' detector/coil combination. Over the past 47 years I have tried to maintain two or more detectors in my personal detector battery in order to be as prepared as I felt possible of being ready to deal with any site I hunt. Each model I listed above is there because they have, and do, provide a very special level of performance for me, and some models I have relied on a lot for a long time.

But that's not to say anyone should necessarily follow my lead and run out and get what I use because they might likely have and use a model that I have had and also admire. For example, the Teknetics T2, Classic/original version or other, with a 5" DD coil, also was a very versatile performer for me in many very iron littered sites. The Minelab Explorer II was maybe the best of any of the FBS models I have owned and used for other types of hunting needs.

I also have fond memories of units like the Teknetics Mark 1 LTD w/7¼" Concentric coil, White's 5900 Di Pro, 6000 Pro XL or XL Pro with a 6½" or 8" Concentric, and other models that might be in my 'Specialty-Use Group' like or a Makro Multi-Kruzer, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Mojave or Vaquero or Bandido II µMAX or Silver Sabre µMAX, and older favorites I have/have-had such as my Compass Coin Hustler TR or the Garrett American S2 TR, White's IDX Pro, and .... Well, there have been many through the years, so I have settled on what I have, all of my Regular-Use models, to handle every site and need that comes my way. For me, they are All 'The Best.'

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: KyJoe
Date: July 03, 2018 11:02PM
I've owned many detectors but if I had to pick one that is the best for my soil and the sites I hunt...……...Fisher F-19.

Posted by: JJames1610
Date: July 03, 2018 11:37PM
Fantastic stuff everyone. I notice a wide array of different detectors. Thats what i expect, different opinions. I love it, thanks.

Posted by: irnwrkr
Date: July 06, 2018 05:08AM
I've owned many units and have decided (for now) to quit buying and trading. Currently I own a 5900 di SL (cb), a minelab se pro and makro multi kruzer. Currently I'm in love with the makro as my whites needs a road trip to a service center.

Posted by: oldkoot
Date: July 14, 2018 01:49PM
the one detector that I clicked with and still use to this day is the X Terra 705 it is the one detector they will have to pry from my cold dead hands the one I least liked was and still is the AT Pro and I am not saying its a bad detector just that it and I never did click

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login