Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Would like recommendations for an ergonomically friendly mid-level detector
Posted by: amcoins44
Date: June 25, 2018 08:44PM
I need to go easier on my shoulder these days, and am interested in guy's opinions on swing-friendly mid-level detectors. I have an XLT that has been good to me, but would like to hear opinions on other's experience. I am 6 foot tall. I do try to keep my swing reasonably close to my body to help reduce stress. Any opinions?

Thanks

Re: Would like recommendations for an ergonomically friendly mid-level detector
Posted by: Sven
Date: June 25, 2018 09:47PM
The best detector weight and balance wise that I have found, keep in mind, I have a bad shoulder, elbow and wrist, would be the Quest 40 or the Quest Pro sporting the super lightweight 5x9" coil.
Also the handle to me is the most comfortable I haver ever had to grip.
I am not saying to buy either one, I have used the Q40, for the price is an excellent detector.

You can make any other detector feather weight buy buying a harness, such as the Detecting Buddy, google it. I have one and it can really make a difference when using a heavy detector, it will make you take another look at the XLT. Most inexpensive way to go without buying another detector.

Nokta/Makro Anfibio-Multi, Makro Multi-Kruzer, and few others
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: sprchng
Date: June 25, 2018 10:18PM
F70 or F75dst , unrivaled ergonomics

Date: June 26, 2018 05:29AM
The harness is interesting, but I would think it would be really bothersome to set the rig down to dig. Is that so?

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep 'em coming!

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: June 26, 2018 05:56AM
Depends on the frequency of digging. If I’m digging every few minutes or up to 10 minutes in between targets,I can swing something heavy all day. But if I’m in “that site” which is low volume but high quality,I use a harness. I don’t mind the hassle of a harness when I see a Barber or better...but may only dig one target in 3-4 hours.

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: June 26, 2018 02:35PM
amcoins44
The harness is interesting, but I would think it would be really bothersome to set the rig down to dig. Is that so?

That's the part I find most annoying about using them. I have the Detecting Buddy which is pictured in Sven's post. It IS very comfortable and makes the detector feel like it's weightless, at least on my swinging arm. I just don't like being harnessed to a detector.

If my CTX starts feeling too heavy, then my Omega comes out. Good coin hunter.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: Metaldetectorguydiggindeep
Date: June 26, 2018 03:20PM
Any of the newer first texas stuff. I have been using a t2 but also have a bounty hunter landranger pro, an omega 8000 and an f75 se that i have never used. They are all easy on the shoulder. I have had three surgeries on my right shoulder up to a replacment and my left has a medium tear in the rotator cup. I can detect 4 or more hoirs comfortably with the t2.

Posted by: mascard1
Date: June 30, 2018 06:58AM
I love the Detecting Buddy for my Etrac....Can let go and it stays there...dont get in the way when ...I dig....I dont like any other harness and tried them all!

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: June 30, 2018 08:21AM
Good point(s)!---I don't like a harness/bungee set up on ANY detector.
mrwilburino

That's the part I find most annoying about using them. I have the Detecting Buddy which is pictured in Sven's post. It IS very comfortable and makes the detector feel like it's weightless, at least on my swinging arm. I just don't like being harnessed to a detector.

If my CTX starts feeling too heavy, then my Omega comes out. Good coin hunter.

Posted by: woody
Date: June 30, 2018 02:21PM
In addition to other detectors, I use a Quest 40. It's a great machine for the price, very light and well balanced with the smaller coil. It simply produces. I still don't know where it's made. The manual definitely needs some work.

Posted by: cal
Date: June 30, 2018 06:56PM
I like the Patriot/F70 at $349. Is real good on coins and jewelry.

Date: September 09, 2018 07:52PM
Follow up.

Purchased an F75 Limited, and the ergonomics are great. It is so light compared to the XLT. Really happy with my choice.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Posted by: REVIER
Date: September 10, 2018 08:46AM
Ergonomic, light...and productive!
Learn it and enjoy it.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
Currently using an F70 and a Mojave....and a Nox.

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: September 10, 2018 04:43PM
Good choice! :thumbup:

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: BH505Man
Date: September 12, 2018 02:39AM
My Teknetics T2 classic is definitely my choice for swinging all day.

Walt from Washington State
US Air Force TSgt, Retired
Served 1972 - 1994

Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500 with 4", 8", 10" & 11"DD coils, Tek-Point pinpointer, Lesche digging knife, Lesche Sampson shovel, homemade 3" diameter plug popper, Teknetics T2 Classic with 5"DD,11"DD & 15"DD, CORS Strike (NEL Tornado) 12x13" DD coils.
Previous detectors: Relco BFO, Whites Coinmaster BFO, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Cen-Tech pinpointer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login