Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Having trouble getting back up from the ground?N/T
Posted by: fjs440
Date: July 21, 2018 03:17PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 03:21PM by fjs440.

Re: Having trouble getting back up from the ground?
Posted by: brother steve
Date: July 21, 2018 09:39PM
I use my 31 I”shovel or I would be stuck. Two knee surgery’s kinda did the kneeling out. I dig and bend over. Seemed to have gotten that technique down. My shovel is a lifesaver

Posted by: hawgdawg
Date: July 26, 2018 06:56AM
I may be looking at knee replacements in the near future,,,meeting with the surgeon in a few weeks. About 6 years or so ago , I posted wondering if anyone knew of a short shafted detector to be used while sitting on the ground,,,just scoot around and detect. Because those knees aren't getting any better. Didn't get much enthusiasm out of the idea.

Posted by: Confetrit
Date: July 26, 2018 07:24AM
I have had both hips replaced. I get around pretty good, but sometimes need a lil' help getting up from kneeling. I too use my T handle Relic Hunter shovel to push up on. Works great for me. If I were to lose my shovel I reckon I'd still be kneeling in the woods someplace. Lol

Posted by: brother steve
Date: July 26, 2018 01:07PM
I really don’t kneel. I just bend over. Shovels long enough so all is good. I struggle with both knees. It works out good for me. Adatpt and survive!

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: July 26, 2018 02:40PM
brother steve
I really don’t kneel. I just bend over. Shovels long enough so all is good. I struggle with both knees. It works out good for me. Adatpt and survive!

I do the same thing.

Date: July 26, 2018 07:29PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again.......Gettin' old ain't for sissies. But it sure beats the alternative.

Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: July 27, 2018 12:12AM
I had both knees replaced at the same time 2 years ago as they were bad. I too have a tough time getting up from the ground and sometime trip trying to get up and carry a cane with me to help get up. My hunting is mainly parks and ball field so the shovel is out of the question and forced to use my Lesche digger, I know some say it is OK to use a small shovel, but several people around here was told never to come back with any kind of shovel in the parks.
I am going to try one of those garden carts someone talked about as it stays off the ground by maybe 5 inches so you don't have to get down as much to dig. Another thing that looks good is it turns over and you have a bench to sit on if you get tired (happens a lot when you get old) Got to figure something out as I been detecting since 1973 and it sucks I cant go as long as I did 20 years ago.

Rick

Sovereign GT since 1996
the Minelab Equinox 800 since March 2018
Timberwolfs HP for the Sovereign
Uni Probe For The other detectors
Got the detectors, just need time to use them all

Posted by: plidn1
Date: July 29, 2018 11:12AM
I have had this same problem for a number of years now.
I finally came up with a simple very cheap solution.

It is light weight, easy to carry and will not interfere with the detector.

Northern California -
Whites M6,
Whites MXT (9.5", 5.3 (6.5"), 4.5" & 6" excl, 8x6" SEF)

" IF YOU DON'T DIG IT, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT REALLY WAS"

" Luck Is The Lady That I Love The Best"

Posted by: pasttom
Date: July 29, 2018 04:45PM
I am another lame club member who owes much to my shovel and scoop for support and assistance rising from the ground. Some HA shots in the knee joint helped, but most helpful has been losing some weight. Forget global warming, has no one else noticed the gradual, steady increase in gravity?????

Pastor Tom
An E 800 and several obsolete units
Excavations by my Corgi, Sadie

Age related :twodetecting:
Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: July 29, 2018 09:25PM
I notice the gradual increase in gravity and feel it is age related as the pull is greater as you get older. 20 years ago for me it wasn't bad and could use my Minelab Sovereign with all the goodies and get up and down to dig most of the day with no problem,but now at 70 I am lucky to get down to dig and get back up as the gravity is pulling me down on the ground as the longer I detect the harder it is to get up, so it must be age related. :lmfao:

Rick

Re: Age related :twodetecting:
Posted by: jim tn
Date: July 30, 2018 02:50AM
Aside from the likes of bad knees and hips, which can be replaced, my suggestion for ease of getting up is keeping weight in check and exercise. I've done both since retiring in 2006 and I can still kneel and get up and down with little or no difficulty. My wife and I both start off our days with a hour at the gym from 5-6a 5 days a week, Mon - Fri. We then go our separate ways until about noon. I often hook up with a hunting buddy, but even those days we don't, I pretty much hunt every day (mornings) for an average of 4 hours. I turned 78 this past May and still do my daily routine. Aside from feeling good, I feel fortunate, too. I know all health issues aren't always the result of lack of exercise and excess weight. Getting old sucks, but it is inevitable. HH jim tn

Re: Age related :twodetecting:
Posted by: Southwind
Date: July 30, 2018 05:41AM
Age? Medical Conditions?

After 40+ years of smoking I have COPD. I quit 11 years ago but the damage is done. At 54 is when I really started to notice physical changes in my detecting norm. Hard time getting up, shortness of breath, wear out quicker. I was your 3 hours hunting EVERY DAY, and 8 hours on the weekends. Big change for me. Medication has helped me a lot but I'm now limited to 1-2 hours hunt at best and generally 30 minutes at most. That is why I have to make my time count. I'll be 62 in 2 weeks.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Date: July 30, 2018 07:20AM
That is a great idea there. I'm sure that helps with pushing up to get you started.

Posted by: stoneshirt
Date: October 08, 2018 09:53AM
So many men I see,with the BIG Steak and Potatoes Belly.And SPINDLY Legs...If you can,ride a Bicycle some,It's the usage of those same required Leg Muscles.
Ken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login