Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Proof good stuff still down there.
Posted by: WV62
Date: August 25, 2018 08:49PM
So today brother SL52 and myself were looking for a place to hunt, we made a couple stops with no luck. So little brother said they were installing a new play area in one of parks and maybe we should drive by and take a look being it is Saturday and nobody should be working.

We have hunted this area several times in the past with different detectors never found any silver.

Back to today, when we got there they had only removed about 10" +- of top soil. We thought what to heck, so we got out the detectors and I got the first wheat penny, brother SL52 got the next. I was picking up some really nice marbles and here comes brother SL52 with the first silver dime.

We didn't count but I would say between us we got about 10 wheat pennies all total.

We started hunting at 90 degrees to our first pass and I got the second silver dime. A few minutes later little brother comes over with the 3rd and last silver dime of the day.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

That was a productive stop.
Posted by: Elton
Date: August 25, 2018 10:01PM
Three silvers is good. Wheat cents are always nice too.. Just think they stopped making wheats in 1958 I believe.

Administrator
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Re: Proof good stuff still down there.
Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: August 26, 2018 12:08AM
Okay, that's at 10" +/- where did they dump that dirt at they removed?, because the bottom 7" to 9" probably has a lot of good finds in it.
Also what were the date and condition of the dimes? the better condition the closer to the date they were minted when they got lost.

Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: August 26, 2018 06:35AM
I love hunting old park tractor scrapes. Wrote an article about a San Francisco park scrape, for W&E treasure magazine, in the 1990s, where 100's of silver coins, thousands of wheaties, etc.... surfaced.

Posted by: still looking 52
Date: August 26, 2018 10:01AM
MarkCZ
Okay, that's at 10" +/- where did they dump that dirt at they removed?, because the bottom 7" to 9" probably has a lot of good finds in it.
Also what were the date and condition of the dimes? the better condition the closer to the date they were minted when they got lost.
The first date was 1954 Rosie, then my 2nd date was 1945 Mercury and I'm thinking Ron's dime was 1943.
The dirt pile is only 10 feet from the scrape and while we were there was four kids playing king of the mountain so we'll hit that pile next time over there if it's not hauled away. We we're so tired we didn't even finish cross grinding the scrape or get around the edges where you have to hold the detector at a 90 degree angle.

Mark

Posted by: WV62
Date: August 26, 2018 11:06AM
My total on wheat pennies was 5, what was yours little brother(SL52)?

When we are hunting, we really don't care much about the wheat pennies except to tell us we are in a area that should have some silver.

still looking 52

The first date was 1954 Rosie, then my 2nd date was 1945 Mercury and I'm thinking Ron's dime was 1943.
The dirt pile is only 10 feet from the scrape and while we were there was four kids playing king of the mountain so we'll hit that pile next time over there if it's not hauled away. We we're so tired we didn't even finish cross grinding the scrape or get around the edges where you have to hold the detector at a 90 degree angle.

Mark

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: August 26, 2018 07:33PM
WV62
My total on wheat pennies was 5, what was yours little brother(SL52)?
I got four wheat pennies.

When we are hunting, we really don't care much about the wheat pennies except to tell us we are in a area that should have some silver.

Mark

Date: August 27, 2018 12:33PM
This is excactly how these dimes came out of the ground.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login