Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
multi or single
Posted by: emubob
Date: September 19, 2018 01:25AM
which is better single or multi frequency detectors?all of my detectors have been single frequency and i have found plenty of money and jewellery with them.now i have the latest and greatest and am steadily finding less with it .i hope this is just a learning curve and it will improve,or have i bought a lemon.emubob

Re: multi or single
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 19, 2018 07:42AM
Depends on your hunt site, soil types, objectives, etc..... If I'm at a ghost-townsy nail-riddled site, then a MF machine, like my Explorer, will start missing stuff d/t masking. So I reach for my Tesoro Bandito SF machine. Which sees through nails better.

But if I'm turf hunting and want more depth, better TID, etc..., then I reach for my Explorer.

So .... your question is contingent on your hunt type site and objectives.

Posted by: Welgund
Date: September 19, 2018 02:33PM
I have learned over the years that the latest and greatest doesn't mean your going to find more just have fun playing with a new machine etc. The only machines that really made me go woah was the Bandido2 micromax back in 1999, I upgrades to it from a bandido2. When I got an explorer se pro as my first multi frequency it made me go woah again.lol. then when I got the Deus in 2013 it was a big woah. Then the CTX in 2013. I have had every machine you can imagine since 1993 but them are the only ones to raise my eyebrows.

Posted by: dirt doctor
Date: September 19, 2018 10:05PM
Possibly you are finding less and less because as time goes on there is less and less to find .

Multi or Single ... This question could relate to frequency or audio tones.
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 20, 2018 07:46AM
With regard to either reference, operating frequency or audio tones, there are several variables that make it very difficult to suggest a 'proper' or 'absolute' answer.

emubob
which is better single or multi frequency detectors?
It can depend upon the single frequency chosen, either by detector design or by operator choice of a 'selectable' multi-frequency model. It can also depend on the 'simultaneous' multi-frequency detector design with regard to how many frequencies are in actual use, and how the particular detector works. In addition, you have to factor in the search site terrain, mineralization, and the amount or density of possible masking trash. Finally, it is important to consider how the detector was designed to work and how the operator is handling the detector in question. Often I see people who are working the search coil at too fast a sweep rate to get the best in-the-field performance, regardless of frequencies used.

Then there is the metal part to take into account. By 'mental part' I am referring to the operator not having a clear understanding of the frequency choice and any benefits or weaknesses there could be, or even being disillusioned by ads or hype and led to believe that multi-frequency is flawless and will always mean better performance.

emubob
all of my detectors have been single frequency and i have found plenty of money and jewellery with them. now i have the latest and greatest and am steadily finding less with it.
I have owned, all together, sixteen or more 'multi-frequency' detectors, some selectable' but most 'simultaneous' types, and they all found things. But I've been an Avid Detectorist for over fifty-three years and the bulk of my hunting has naturally been using a single-frequency detector. I have ten units in my current Regular-Use Detector Team but only one of them is a multi-frequency type, and it is a 'selectable' design so in essence it is still single frequency operation. I make use of each of these detectors throughout the year, and some of them will always be along with me in my detecting travels simply because they are proven performers for the challenging sites I most often search.

But they are in my detector battery because I know them. That means learning them to the point that I am aware of their strengths and weaknesses and I make sure I am attentive to the settings, coil choice, and search technique of each in order to gain the best performance. You said: "Now I have the latest and greatest ..." but didn't clarify what you have. Do you have a single frequency or multi-frequency detector now? Are you searching the same sites or are you exploring new and different places that might have better potential? If you are simply re-hunting the same places that produced before, then as Tom in CA suggested, you are finding less because a lot has already been found.

emubob
i hope this is just a learning curve and it will improve,or have i bought a lemon.emubob
There is always going to be a 'learning curve' when you buy a new-to-you detector. Once you learn it well and make better site selections, your results are likely to improve. As for buying a lemon, you didn't share with us what you bought, what search coil you are using, or the types of sites you are hunting with that new-to-you detector. Who knows, maybe you did get a lemon, but we don't now what you bought or the type of site you're searching.

Now, as I suggested at the start of my reply, I see similar things occur regarding audio tones as I do in detector frequency choices. Some people get kind of set in their thinking that one certain frequency works well for everything than another, or that a multi-frequency detector will always do better than a single frequency device, and that just isn't true. I've seen many who did very well using a single-tone detector then move on to a multi-tone type of 3 or more tones, and soon they seemed to get too attached to certain tones and not rely on a single tone function because they felt the multi-tone could give a more accurate audio response. Then began to concentrate on certain tone pitches more than the full audio report and pass on recovering a potentially good target because the tone wasn't "just right."

It's all a metal thing to a certain degree and the best thing to do is learn and master what ever detector you have, one, two, three or multiple frequencies (or tones) and then work the sites that are most likely to be productive and recover more targets. The success rate for Coins and Jewelry will go up as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: September 20, 2018 10:16AM
I have been using the same two multifrequency machines for a number of years. One for dirt and one for the water. Every year I am finding less and less. People are using plastic more and more every year so they have less and less coinage to lose.

I am also finding fewer pieces of precious metal jewelry. I don't know why. I certainly am putting in the time and effort.

Are people becoming more careful at the beach??

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Re: Multi or Single ... This question could relate to frequency or audio tones.
Date: September 20, 2018 01:33PM
Monte, you are an absolute asset to the metal detecting community. Your name with go down in immortal history, for your excellent inputs and all your unselfish time and energy put into those that have questions. Thanx !

Date: September 20, 2018 01:38PM
GeorgeinSC

I am also finding fewer pieces of precious metal jewelry. I don't know why. I certainly am putting in the time and effort.

Are people becoming more careful at the beach??

George, I started @ land hunting, as a 13-ish yr. old, in about 1975-ish. And in those days, go figure, we were high-discriminating during the "silver rush". And strictly doing turf, so .... we got very few gold rings.

But then ventured into beach hunting (1980) . And I recall those early years, in the 1980s, that there were only 3 types of rings we found : Junk rings (of course, like Avon or whatever). Silver rings, and Gold (or plat) rings. And if you found a wedding ring, it was CERTAIN to be gold (or plat). And if you found a school class ring, it was CERTAIN to be gold.

But then as the decades rolled on: Class rings started to be in junk metal types . And in the last decade or two, titanium and other cr*p is now done in a lot of wedding rings. We NEVER used to see that. So now, after a good storm erosion, if you come in with 5 rings, odds are you'll have a few junk wedding rings, right (titanium, stainless steel, etc...). And a single gold. But in the old days, all 5 of those rings had higher odds of being gold. Since no self-respecting person ever got a wedding ring or class ring that was anything less than gold .

So ,... yes ... the gold ring ratios have tended to drop :(

Posted by: emubob
Date: September 20, 2018 03:04PM
for monty,the minelab equinox 800,emubob

Posted by: Mkus
Date: October 04, 2018 12:16PM
Why buy a single frequency Detector? like any Garrett new? you can own a equinox and change it or run multi which by multi means more than one frequency same time better in mineralized soil.
or deus lots of different frequency options but not able to run in multi frequency at the same time. To me makes no sense nowadays IMHO all single frequency machines are old technology I like the ability to switch like on my Deus run 72 for gold hunting or running multi on my equinox..
And of course you have a machine locked in a single frequency or a single frequency that has the ability to change them to other frequency which I like my deus and equinox has the best of both worlds run multi or pick one of four so why buy one machine that limits you to just one frequency?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 12:27PM by Mkus.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: October 04, 2018 08:07PM
Tom_in_CA

But then as the decades rolled on: Class rings started to be in junk metal types . And in the last decade or two, titanium and other cr*p is now done in a lot of wedding rings. We NEVER used to see that. So now, after a good storm erosion, if you come in with 5 rings, odds are you'll have a few junk wedding rings, right (titanium, stainless steel, etc...). And a single gold. But in the old days, all 5 of those rings had higher odds of being gold. Since no self-respecting person ever got a wedding ring or class ring that was anything less than gold .

So ,... yes ... the gold ring ratios have tended to drop :(

Add in to the mix that many guys are wearing rubber "safety" wedding rings.

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: October 05, 2018 02:23PM
multi whether selectable or simultaneous. 800.00 dollars for a unit that can only run one frequency or one that can change selectable frequencies. A no brainer for me where my money is going. We all cant afford to own 40 different detectors. A selectable frequency detector can be like owning 4 or 5 units in one. Best bang for the buck! IMO

Just some comments in response.
Posted by: Monte
Date: October 05, 2018 04:57PM
Mkus
Why buy a single frequency Detector?
For some people and some detecting applications, a single4 frequency, one that might fit in a particulars frequency range, might be all that some people really need. For example, maybe they find a detector they like, that balances well for them, has a coil selection they like, and adjustment features suited for their wants and needs, audio tones that appeal to them, and that particular detector choice might work at 13 kHz, 13.9 kHz, 14 kHz or 15 kHz .. just to narrow down a certain frequency range. There are la lot of newer, ne or slightly older detectors that operate at those frequencies and can hold their own in so many applications that those detectors might be 'just right' for a lot of folks.

Mkus
... you can own a equinox and change it or run multi which by multi means more than one frequency same time better in mineralized soil.
Your statement is not exactly true. It will depend upon the particular simultaneous frequency model, the coil in use, and the ground mineral make-up for some multi's to possibly do better than some single-frequency detectors. I've been enjoying this great sport for a very long time, have owned quite a few so-called multi-frequency detectors, and have compared many makes and models in all sorts of bad-ground environments. I live in or travel to and hunt in highly mineralized ground, and have proven to myself, as well to friends using various multi-frequency detectors, that the multi-frequency circuitry designs do not always handle mineralization better.

At the present time I have a bunch of single-frequency detectors in my outfit as well as selectable multi-frequency designs, but no simultaneous multi-frequency units currently. I hunt with a lot of people who use all three designs, single, selectable and multi-frequency detectors, and I haven't been compelled to select any of the simultaneous offerings to take care of my wants and needs at the challenging sites I hunt. And remember, too, that you can take all the multi-frequency detectors in current use from Fisher, Minelab, Nokta-Makro, White's and XP and compare them all, side-by-side, with a half-dozen test scenarios and a half-dozen naturally-located targets and find that there isn't a single one that could be considered 'perfect' in all cases so far as audio response clarity, iron trash handling, and other factors to be compared.

We might have a favorite out of the group, or more than likely two or three we prefer, and that's because there are many, many differences in engineered design and performance other than just the operating frequency.

Just some thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: dfmike
Date: October 05, 2018 07:09PM
Tom_in_CA
Monte, you are an absolute asset to the metal detecting community. Your name with go down in immortal history, for your excellent inputs and all your unselfish time and energy put into those that have questions. Thanx !

So true !

Active detectors and accessories: Fisher F19 LTD on Mars universal shaft, F19 on original shaft, Nokta Fors CoRe, Whites MX7, Makro and Nokta pointers. Killer B's and Jolly Rogers headphones and assorted coils.
Previous detectors in order of acquisition: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Fisher F5, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: October 05, 2018 10:10PM
Good to see you are still active. :thumbup:

:cheers: Mr R.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login