Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Newbies
Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: October 09, 2018 05:12PM
I introduced a long time friend to the hobby a while back, and he just doesn't appreciate a producing hunt spot. He always says before the next hunt, "I want to find a new spots."

It is not easy where we both live, to find even decent clad finds, and I took us to the best spots I personally had myself.

Can you spoil a newbie at the beginning? New tectors need confidence and finds when starting, even for plain clad with possible jewelry spots.

Anybody have advice to this situation?

Re: Newbies
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: October 09, 2018 05:22PM
5900_XL-1
..... Anybody have advice to this situation?

Good topic. This is a bone of contention I have too. You go out of your way to take someone to a spot that's giving up silver coins. And their enthusiasm is "lack-luster". They find a very rare button, and just think "ho hum, only a button". And then they put the machine in the closet, and you never hear from them again. If it were just a sandbox or clad hunt, then .... no problem. But when you see them dig stuff from spots that you busted your b*lls researching, and then never show passion for the concept, then .... that just bites.

I know this might sound snobbish, but this is the reason why a lot of hardcore guys are very selective about who they'll detect with. If there isn't tit-for-tat on researching spots, and shared appreciation for the strategy and sport, then .... a lot of hardcore hunters will not hunt with newbies.

Yeah, that's a "catch-22" for newbies. Because, how are they ever supposed to "break in" (and share spots back with you), if no one ever took them out and helped them learn the ropes, catch the bug, etc... ?

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: October 09, 2018 05:41PM
Detecting is not for everyone.----If he/they don't show anymore enthusiasm/zest for the sport than that--you might want to advise them to consider taking up knitting.------As the old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink"!------We have some fine "newbies" in this great hobby--people that have truly been "bitten" by the detecting bug.-----When you give them your best efforts, it doesn't take long to see which way they are going--"yea or nay".

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: October 09, 2018 06:15PM
I use myself as a perfect example. I started detecting in 2010, after being asked to help this friend, to find a lost ring his brother lost playing sand volleyball. I'd owned an old metal detector for years, and stored at home, unused...my mother gave it to my brother, who gave it to me. My bro had hunted since the 80s with a beep and dig and had a stack of finds, but he just didn't feel like ever using something "complicating" like the old whites 5900...beep and dig was his thing, but he had a collection of old coins and jewelry after 30 years. I was NOT interested, but took the gift.

Once I got a obtained a battery pack for this old machine to help find this ring, he already found it with help from someone. I seriously worked my own personal yard, for a year(I was shy for public hunting)...I got the bug, and got appreciation for hidden stuff. The rest is personal history.

I am as serious as a heart attack. I found stuff on my home place, interesting but not old, over that year. My first actual coin, took over a week, then the race was on!

Maybe, I would have been the same way if I'd had instant success back then. Makes you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 06:17PM by 5900_XL-1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login