Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Last Friday, I found trouble!
Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: October 19, 2018 03:52PM
The gun's purpose happened, it was imminent threat in real time from a pit bull. I say, deal what the possible events to possibly happen, after I wasn't mauled, or killed by the first threat in play. Hey. I don't know what I'd actually do in the same situation since I don't carry, besides be ready to swing my Sampson shovel. If I did have a firearm, it's purpose was for MY instant protection, dog or man. There's not really any time to time to think. Same thing as with an intruder in my house. I hope I never find myself in either of these situation, but time is short at those moments.

We'd be in for a lot of legal mess if it escalated. Guns, even in perfectly legal protection situations, puts anyone "in the system." What else can you really do though?

Posted by: comisoas
Date: October 19, 2018 07:30PM
I had thought that you can carry a bear spray or something, then no gun would be involved. Or carry both :)

Posted by: gwsears
Date: November 05, 2018 11:15AM
Mkus

Close friends have given me advice of staying out of the bad areas. I have been detecting these particular areas of town for years with no problem at all. I actually have felt relatively safe but always keep my eyes wide open. This is the only incident I have had occur since I started detecting in Goldsboro since I arrived in 1989. The civil war items are lying in wait and these are the only areas that have not been hit to death over the years. We all just have to be careful every time we go out...with permission at properties of course. This entire situation really was like out of a movie. I suppose I would be singing a different story if the dog would have clamped on my leg or arm and I had to kill the dog. The police would be called. I may have had to go to the emergency room for treatment which would cost $$$$, it would have been in the paper, the "community" may have been quite mad, the owners would have really been upset. I guess the moral of the story is that as soon as that dog started barking and yanking on the leash, I should have just turned and walked away and the whole situation would have been avoided. Lesson learned.
The dog owner is liable for any dog bite..

The dog will bite you but the owner will kill you. You said you were advised by friends to avoid the area. Would heed that advise and live to hunt another day.

Posted by: Kraemer
Date: November 05, 2018 03:45PM
You showed a lot of restraint not shooting the dog. I’m always packing pepper spray for such encounters. Maybe you could do the same and avoid having to carry a gun. Much much safer for all envolved.

Posted by: jim tn
Date: November 05, 2018 05:31PM
Not carrying certainly is a lot safer for those that do and are bent to rob or do you bodily harm. HH jim tn

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: November 05, 2018 06:28PM
Long range mace might need to be standard to carry. I keep putting it off myself.

Any thing besides a firearm is best, but there are those extreme times...bad people mostly.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: November 06, 2018 11:03AM
Just stay outta da ghetto----nothing but trouble there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login