Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
11 REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY TESORO
Posted by: calabash digger
Date: November 09, 2018 11:12AM
Heres a look at a few negatives of a Tesoro detector.video: https://youtu.be/B-7oWixapSs

Re: 11 REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY TESORO
Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: November 09, 2018 12:59PM
"You found it cause you dug everything!" :thumbup:

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: November 09, 2018 01:34PM
I dig everything too but not all relic hunt or have the time to do so and have to do a little cherry picking. Some of those guys up north in the parks cant go thru there cutting hundreds of holes either.....Its true he who digs the most finds the most or at least its been true for me..odds game

Ok, I'll bite. (Tongue in cheek)
Posted by: Dancer
Date: November 10, 2018 06:12AM
Pretty convincing video there Cal. And you do put out some good stuff. But talk about kicking a dog while it's down, wow.
First I don't question that machine not picking up that silver quarter. So what, when they were in business, you would just send it back under warranty.
Now, somehow I missed you bringing up all the Recalls on your " new fangled" gem you were strutting around that blanket. Well you talk faster than a auctioneer. Now all those "new ounces" & 50 tones, mean squat. When 80% or so of the population in inflected with some degree of tone deafness. I'm talking 1,000 good targets in the Wild, before you get a feel for a machine. My limited experience comes with about 9,000 plus clad coins with the Compardre, and now a couple grand with the MoJo. World beaters they are not. But they are fun. Look all that junk on dem modern machines, reminds me of the new cars. Like, you really going to race down the highway, trusting the car to do all the breaking, while watching a video? 50 "New Ounces" 50 , come on. Ok, ya got all that stuff and 50 tones. So how many iffy tones you gonna pass on? Iron halo, coins on edge, coins stacked on coins, you name it. And I have no doubt what so ever that there are plenty of Tesoro hunters that would take a bet on hunting blindfolded. Vs that Which-a call- it.
And I'm not talking about Waltzing around no Test garden.
The above opinion is based on zero experience with that modern machine. So put on a blindfold and take on a local Te Zorro, on video.
Yours in jest
Dancer

Re: Ok, I'll bite. (Tongue in cheek)
Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 10, 2018 09:55AM
I purchased that cheap beep and dig machine and feel that I poured my money down a rat hole. Never again.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Good video!
Posted by: bulletman
Date: November 10, 2018 11:21AM
Great video. I cannot disregard your opinion on your preferred detectors. However, I have stated this many times in the past. UNTIL A DETECTOR MANUFACTURER MASTERS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALUMINUM AND GOLD, not much will change in technology. If that occurs, then it's game over for all other detectors. I spend a lot more money in gas just getting to locations to find a couple of bucks in clad with metered machines, and pass up a lot of signals in the pull tab area, eliminating my chances of finding gold. Hey, that's O.K. as we all do this. At my age, I discriminate a lot more and dig less. Knee surgeries are very costly!!!!!!

Bulletman

Shalom

Quarter
Posted by: bklein
Date: November 10, 2018 11:48AM
Whats the deal with the quarter? Was it because of disc setting or a bad unit?

Posted by: vito
Date: November 10, 2018 12:30PM
calabash digger
Heres a look at a few negatives of a Tesoro detector.https://youtu.be/B-7oWixapSs

Go and cry noiseless.

current stuff:
White's :whites: ......- VX3 / MXT / DFX / TRX / DigMaster Digger / SpectraSound Wireless Headphones
Coils.................. - Deep Scan 1400DD / Super 12 / 10" DD Round / 6x10 DD / 950 / 4x6 DD
Fisher :fisher: - CZ70 Pro
Coils...................- 10.5" Spider / 8" Spider
DetectorPro .......- Jolly Rogers Headphones

A bashing digger ...........N/T
Posted by: dirt doctor
Date: November 10, 2018 12:32PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: November 10, 2018 02:10PM
Obviously there is something wrong with that Tesoro. If a Person can't see that they should not be in the Hobby.
I am also a fan of tone I.D. thats why I use a Golden uMax. And Mine has no problem hitting a 10" Quarter with the proper high tone. But as they say proof is in the pudding so below is 3 Big Silver I found at a small park with the Golden that had been pounded by everybody and their Brother with CTXs,Etracs,Explorers,and every other Detector made just about.

CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 02:27PM by Harold,ILL..

I doubt that Cibola came from the factory that way.
Posted by: Monte
Date: November 10, 2018 05:29PM
My current Regular-Use Detector Outfit is comprised of:

2- Nokta-Makro FORS CoRe
2 Nokta- Makro FORS Relic
1 Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi
1 White's XLT
1 White's Classic ID w/modifications
1 White's MX-7
2 Teknetics Omega
2 Tesoro Bandido II microMAX
1 Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX

Of those 13 individual detectors, 9 different models, most of them have visual Target ID and Tone ID which I generally use, except for the single-tone Classic ID and three Tesoro's.

I've Coin Hunted since March of '65, and since May of '69 I started Relic Hunting a bit, and shifted gears into serious Relic Hunting in July of '83 .... thanks to the introduction of the Tesoro Inca. I use Tesoro's and I have used them, usually maintaining 2 or 3 and sometimes 4 in my personal arsenal since July of '83 and have been very successful with them. I have also used other makes and models now for over five decades, and in the past 35 years of using Tesoro's I have also been a very avid fan and user of modern Target ID and Tone ID featured detectors from White's, especially, and since 2006 some Teknetics and since January of 2015 with the Nokta & Makro devices.

I have owned and used Minelab BBS and FBS models and X-Terra's, and only a few of Garrett and Fisher models since about '98. The 'glory days' for Coin Hunting were back in the latter '60's through the mid '80s and then the decline started, but from '68 to about '80, fitting in what time I could while working, it was easy to manage 60K to 70K coins be year in the better times ... and I was working full time plus extra work. The last high-production Coin Count year I had was 1998 when I found 12,479 coins. Probably 85% to 90% those were found using a Tesoro.

From 1986 to about 2005 I would average 15-20 gold rings per year but had better years during that time, and again, probably 90% of those were found when hunting with a Tesoro.

Then there is my all-time favorite ghost town I named 'Twin Flats' that I hunted very often, especially since the Inca was introduced with Tesoro's slow-motion/quick-response circuitry. From then until about 2001, that Relic Hunting site produced a number of nice artifacts in the way of military buttons and insignia as well as other period artifacts that dated from the mid 1860's to the Depression Era. But it also had a lot of old coins lingering amongst all the nails, rusty tin and other debris and building rubble. I found hundreds of old coins that filled four binders of 2X2 carded coins, and then some that didn't get into a binder yet. Some were found with a White's, a Gold Mountain Technology model, a Pillar (made for them by Tesoro and based on Tesoro models) and one or two other models, but, once again, at least 90% of all those old coins and artifacts were found using a Tesoro.

Are Tesoro detectors the 'best' detectors made? Of course not, but NO detector is "the best" detector. They are all individual devices and have their own strengths and weaknesses. I have 13 detectors and use them all, but I know most of their strong points and I know when to grab something different.

I was Tesoro Dealer for a long time and I have handled most models. That Cibola might have come out of a box and been proclaimed as 'new' but if it was it had to be from the end oif a production run and close to the end of business or handled by workers who didn't follow procedure to properly calibrate the unit.

OR ... it was handled by someone before it made it to your hands and someone thought they might enhance what it does by tweaking with an internal trimmer and that messed it up with regard to responding to that Quarter. The problem? Ground Balance. It was set way too positive, or that would be the most likely reason. A too-positive GB setting can eliminate a response to a big silver dollar, a clad or silver half dollar and even be so bad as to knock out a quarter and reduce the responsiveness ... aka achievable depth ... on a dime.

Open that Cibola up and gently adjust the GB trimmer for a 'proper' spot-on GB for your ground and it will hit the quarter without a problem. If not, then it does have a more serious issue that needs service work.

Just my thoughts. I, like others, can see and hear your bias to Tesoro's, but some of us have been at this great sport for a while and we know and respect their strong points. Most of us still have one or more other models that might have Target ID or Tone ID, but there is no 'perfect' detector and it's fine to have a mix of what you can rely on.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta - Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta - Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: oneguy
Date: November 10, 2018 05:34PM
I didn't even watch the vid but have used a Tesoro for 22yrs then bought a Tejon and sold it shortly there after. Dug a ton of coins over that 22yrs with no complaints at all....it's all I knew? With that said and being strictly a coinshooter I finally tried an Etrac and boy did that ever open things up! My trash/treasure ratio completely flip-flopped.... less digging trash and more old coins, hands down, no comparison. Quit coin shooting and turned to nugget detecting but can't seem to part with the eTrac.....jmho

Minelab Gold Monster 1000
E-Trac (13" Ultimate, 6" EQ2, NEL ss, Pro, X-1)
GPX 5000

I didn't mention earlier that I purchased a really nice 17 foot bass boat with my finds from a tesoro.
Posted by: bulletman
Date: November 10, 2018 07:28PM
My favorite rig is a cibola with a cleansweep coil in the athletic fields. Sold over 6 thousand in rings about 10 years ago. Could have probably found all those rings with my Etrac, but my shoulder would not have allowed it.

Bulletman.

Shalom

Posted by: Kraemer
Date: November 11, 2018 05:58PM
Maybe tolerance wasn’t taught in some people's upbringing.

Posted by: JEF
Date: November 11, 2018 07:32PM
I watched a previous video that he did comparing the Equinox with a Vaquero, and the Vaquero showed very well against the Equinox. Maybe that’s why he had to do another video comparing a defective Cibola against the Equinox, because the previous video didn't show what he wanted it to.

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro Vaquero (high tone)
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login