Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Left or Right?
Posted by: u2robert
Date: December 06, 2018 01:34PM
Just out of curiosity, does a righthanded person hold is detector in his right or left hand when detecting or vice versa with a lefthanded person and why?

Re: Left or Right?
Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: December 06, 2018 01:44PM
It's usually held in the dominant hand for better coil control.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: JEF
Date: December 09, 2018 12:07PM
I am right handed, but I use my left hand to swing my detector. I use my right hand for the pinpointer and digging tools. I don't know why but swinging it left-handed just feels more natural for me. When I try swinging the detector with my right hand, it just feels awkward for some reason.

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro Vaquero (high tone)
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Posted by: dirt doctor
Date: December 09, 2018 12:38PM
mrwilburino
It's usually held in the dominant hand for better coil control.

Yup , and my dominant right hand , arm and fingers are stronger , more flexible and better muscle memory . Example : if I try to write something with my left hand it looks like a clumsy three year old wrote it . Trying to throw something like a lefty for me has equally bad results .

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: December 09, 2018 01:03PM
I'm basically right handed, but throw left handed. As for swinging a detector, I switch hands. My shovel, pinpointer are in separate holders, so it leaves me with one hand free so I can switch.

Nautilus 2b* Anfibio Multi* Lesche Piranah* Garrett ZLynk pinpointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 01:04PM by HanoverDigger.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: December 09, 2018 01:54PM
Have you ever checked to see which eye is dominant? I have a friend who shoots right handed but his left eye is dominant. Makes it hard for him to hit a bird.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: Mega
Date: December 09, 2018 02:03PM
I am right handed and also swing with my right arm as well,suffer a major right wrist injury as a result of a accident but in recent years can just about swing a detector with the right arm,how ever hard i try to swing with my left arm the coordination just ain't happening.So these days i use a full harness and even on lightweight machines as well Deus and my T2 looks odd using a full harness for such lightweight detector but at least i can swing a detector all day again.

An ageing reprobate awaiting the Reaper's visit, trying to do interesting things until he calls....

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: December 09, 2018 02:42PM
Im right handed and swing right handed 80% of the time..switch occasionally just to give joints and muscles a break.. ironically when im in the water i find it very easy scooping the target with my left hand and foot, and rather uncoordinated when i try scooping with my right..

Posted by: u2robert
Date: December 09, 2018 03:16PM
I'm right handed and use my right hand all the time. When I swing with my left hand it's just cumbersome. Thanks for the response everyone.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: December 09, 2018 08:01PM
If you swing with the right you're right. If you swing with the left you're wrong.

Arizona
43 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Makro Multi Kruzer
Makro Racer 2
White's DFX x 3
Minelab Equinox 800

Posted by: still looking 52
Date: December 10, 2018 09:58AM
If your going to hunt all day you need to learn how to swing the detector with either hand or you'll be hurting by the end of the day. I'm right handed and it feels more natural to swing the detector with my right hand but after five or six hours my right arm was killing me so I just forced myself to switch every 15 minutes from one hand to the other and now it feels natural with either hand.

Posted by: Kraemer
Date: December 10, 2018 10:44AM
still looking 52
If your going to hunt all day you need to learn how to swing the detector with either hand or you'll be hurting by the end of the day. I'm right handed and it feels more natural to swing the detector with my right hand but after five or six hours my right arm was killing me so I just forced myself to switch every 15 minutes from one hand to the other and now it feels natural with either hand.
I agree with still looking 52. I’m 63 and like to switch arms swinging the detector. Rather awkward at first but over time has become almost natural. It does relieve the stress of a long day and with a little practice is really quite easy. Haven’t quite mastered the left handed pinpointing but am working at it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login