Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: sad day for TESORO
Posted by: lytle78
Date: January 13, 2019 10:46AM
There is nothing of value there.

No marketable intellectual property - patents, etc.
Any stock on hand, parts, finished units, etc are probably worth less than the likely unpaid bills to suppliers, etc.
Very small dealer network and probably all of them are already dealers of many other brands
No meaningful social media presence
Manufacturing equipment likely at least somewhat outdated.

Kellyco just sold and closed all their retail operations - online only from now on from a wharehouse in KY.
First Texas already has the whole market, domestic and international with their three brands - Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: rick78
Date: January 13, 2019 08:38PM
mrwilburino
The cost of all that future lifetime warranty work on nearly 40 years worth of machines is a lot for a prospective buyer to take on.

I bought a car from a friend and the tint job had a lifetime warranty. The tint was messed up and since the car was still in friend's name I called on behalf of her to see about warranty coverage. They told me yes the name was the same but new owners and "different company" and they were not honoring the warranty so probably a way around in a reorg or buyout but sure not to please owners of the machines....

Posted by: Snap On Man
Date: January 13, 2019 09:31PM
Back in the day when I was young and still lived in the snow belt. There were automotive rust proofing company's, Ziebart and Rusty Jones who also gave life time warranties. Define [ LIFE TIME [ Is it the life of your car or the company. Batteries and brakes were also sold with life time warranties. Remember back in the good old days.

Posted by: treasure_hunter
Date: January 14, 2019 07:28PM
lytle78
There is nothing of value there.

No marketable intellectual property - patents, etc.
Any stock on hand, parts, finished units, etc are probably worth less than the likely unpaid bills to suppliers, etc.
Very small dealer network and probably all of them are already dealers of many other brands
No meaningful social media presence
Manufacturing equipment likely at least somewhat outdated.

Kellyco just sold and closed all their retail operations - online only from now on from a wharehouse in KY.
First Texas already has the whole market, domestic and international with their three brands - Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.

Kellyco only had one store front, over 90% of Kellyco's sales were on the net. They ship from their fulfillment center in Knoxville.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: January 15, 2019 07:29AM
Thanks for the Kco info. I am curious about the staff - the folks who I used to get on the phone when I called. Were they in FL? Are they still around?

Rick Kempf

Posted by: treasure_hunter
Date: January 15, 2019 12:50PM
All employees were in Florida before it was sold, couple were let go, a couple decided they wanted to move on and a few are still there. There is a business office in Lake Mary but it is not a walk in store. The new company invested a lot of money in the new Kellyco.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login