Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Garrett GTI 2500 vs Fisher CZ-3D or other
Jeff
Date: January 12, 2005 08:30AM
Hello, I'm new here but have a quick question. I'm looking at buying a new detector to search for older coins around old house loctions and older sites. It would be nice if it would do relic and general hunting well too. I've heard good things about these two detectors but would love to get others insight! Any help woul be great! Thank You

Re: Garrett GTI 2500 vs Fisher CZ-3D or other
Bill W.
Date: January 12, 2005 08:38PM
The 3D is an excellent machine for older sites with older coins. I have hunted with friends that own a GTI1500 (which is essentially a 2500 without as many bells and whistles... that much was verified by Garrett themselves when my hunting buddy was looking to upgrade from the 1500) and the depth is not as near as good as the 3D here in Pennsylvania. The 3D matches my Explorer in depth at the sites I hunt. The machine to consider especially for older sites with iron is the Explorer. The Explorer is excellent in iron and can make hunted hard sites look almost unhunted. NO KIDDING! The 3D is not as good as the Explorer in iron but is acceptable in iron... but in every other respect the 3D is a VERY strong machine in depth and accurate ID. If it was between the 3D & 2500... I would go for the 3D. The only shortcoming of the 3D is because of it design. The notch points on the 3D allow more trash to allow coins hitting 'outside' their accepted ranges. So, if there's alot of modern trash the 3D might not be the machine to buy. Otherwise it's hard to fault the 3D in depth or ID. HH!
-Bill

Have you considered the White's MXT?
mailman
Date: January 13, 2005 12:13PM
Re: MXT has serious masking problems
Tom B
Date: January 13, 2005 05:37PM
I had an MXT and my IDX Pro would run circles around it in trash areas, I traded it for an Explorer XS. The MXT is not good in iron invested areas, you can lay a quarter ontop of nails and it will not pick it up, my IDX Pro and Explorer XS will both id the quarter on top of nails.
For coin hunting the IDX Pro with Mr. Bill's mods is the only way to go. TB

Jeff
Date: January 22, 2005 09:21AM
Thanks all for the reply!

JM
Date: January 31, 2005 03:42PM
the explorer2 is not very good in the UK where iron is about ,it masks out loads of targets ,have done tests over 4 years and it is crap on iron infested sites ,the new XP detector runs rings around the explorer over here in the UK.KNOW MATTER WHAT OTHERS WILL HAVE YOU BELIVE , put a gold coin next to a spoke off a bicycle and it will not register at all.

shake and bake
Date: January 31, 2005 06:03PM
what is the Mr. Bill mode for the IDX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login