Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Remember years ago . . .
Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: August 10, 2017 05:06PM
DougF
About the time I got my Explorer (2009), I ran into one of the old timers in a park I was hunting. He told me how many old coins they used to find there in the "old days" (1980s ?). He didn't say it to discourage me, though (He has since passed away). I have since found many old coins in that park and others. One of the "secrets" is that around 1960-1970 maintenance at the parks was cut back, and many of the picnic grove areas were allowed to get overgrown. If you're willing to deal with the ticks and poison ivy, you can find good stuff there.

I have brush stomped over hillsides now overgrown that used to be cut grass in the 1800's where people hung out for the view. I knew a couple guys who would flip a 4x8 sheet of plywood over and over in tall grass and brush. Researching farm fields and woods that used to be more populated but today wouldn't be a place anyone would detect. Dave Z found a tavern site from the 1600's in a modern farm field and raided it for cut silver.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: August 11, 2017 05:55PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
DougF
About the time I got my Explorer (2009), I ran into one of the old timers in a park I was hunting. He told me how many old coins they used to find there in the "old days" (1980s ?). He didn't say it to discourage me, though (He has since passed away). I have since found many old coins in that park and others. One of the "secrets" is that around 1960-1970 maintenance at the parks was cut back, and many of the picnic grove areas were allowed to get overgrown. If you're willing to deal with the ticks and poison ivy, you can find good stuff there.

I have brush stomped over hillsides now overgrown that used to be cut grass in the 1800's where people hung out for the view. I knew a couple guys who would flip a 4x8 sheet of plywood over and over in tall grass and brush. Researching farm fields and woods that used to be more populated but today wouldn't be a place anyone would detect. Dave Z found a tavern site from the 1600's in a modern farm field and raided it for cut silver.

With the 4x8 lying on the ground, would they stand on top of the 4x8 and detect?

Posted by: synthnut
Date: August 13, 2017 10:51AM
I think that we tend to go back to the same area where we found Silver and hope to find more .....I think branching out to other new area's will work better for us .....There is only so much Silver to be found as there are so many that have been there before us ..... More research is needed to find areas that we don't know about that existed years ago...... As far as clad goes, as someone mentioned, we are more of a plastic society.....Less and less change being used as it's basically worthless today .....Checking historical maps of the area's where we live helps ....I found a old mill site where I live ....There was a lake that I had NO idea was there at one time ....I found a couple of gold pieces in the area and also some silver as well as old flint lock gun parts and caps .... Research is key .....Jim

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: August 13, 2017 11:11AM
Tony N (Michigan)
Charles (Upstate NY)
DougF

With the 4x8 lying on the ground, would they stand on top of the 4x8 and detect?

Yes.

Date: August 14, 2017 10:05AM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony N (Michigan)
Charles (Upstate NY)
DougF

Yes.

Very clever! Weed whackers work well too. Just do a 10 foot by 10 foot at a time.

Posted by: diggervance
Date: August 14, 2017 11:27AM
This is what I use for weeds and tall grass. Its light weight and you can pick one up at almost every garage sale or auction for a buck.

diggervance

2017 totals

33- silver

2- V nickel

13- buffalo nickels

4- silver jewelry

5- I.H.

Favorit Finds

Civil War Martingale Shield, Civil War Gen.Mcclellan Dog Tag, W.W. 1 Canadian Dog Tag, W.W. 2 Navy & Marine Gold and Silver Aviator Wings, Victoria Young 1838-1887 Six Pence love token, Complete 1880s to 1910 Lansing Mich. Captains Fireman Badge, 1890O Morgan Dollar

Detectors
E trac , EXPLORER XS Explorer set up with 5 inch Sunray coil for trashy areas and woods hunting

Handheld-Makro pinpointer, Headphones Killer B "Wasp

Date: August 14, 2017 11:42AM
diggervance
This is what I use for weeds and tall grass. Its light weight and you can pick one up at almost every garage sale or auction for a buck.

I have the exact same one. I sharpened mine the other day.

Posted by: stoneshirt
Date: June 26, 2018 10:39AM
Now,it mostly Henpecked Husbands showing off their Penny.'s

ken.

Posted by: stoneshirt
Date: June 26, 2018 10:46AM
Until it became a Social thing.Now you have large Groups and Clubs ,with their Wives and Kids showing up,giving away Prizes.
Ken.

Posted by: kingingkunsan
Date: July 05, 2018 08:08AM
Still out here. Most of us are forced to do more research and knock on doors to have any hope to find a goodie. I still get out and dig the clad and hope to find jewelry. Remember just because the old coins are disappearing, rings, charms, and such could be lost daily. I still swing my EXII that I purchased when they released (when was that 2002?). I have the Sunray X-1 probe and a Sunray X-8 coil that I leave on it. I do not use any other coils.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login