Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Finally knocked one off the bucket list!
Posted by: JeffInMass
Date: October 28, 2018 03:56PM
After a soaking rain yesterday, it only made sense to get out today. I took a long drive to a park in a town just outside of Boston, where I've had very good results in the past. First couple of good signals were an old wheat and an Indian, then I got a very high tone that was giving me a hard time pinpointing. I finally narrowed it down and after flipping the plug, saw a big silver rim in the dirt- I could tell it was half-dollar size. Hoping for a Barber or Seated, it ended up being my FIRST Franklin half, a 51-D. I've been hunting for close to 30 years and have found several Walkers, Barbers and Seated halves, but the Franklin has always eluded me, until today!

Nabbed an 1893 Barber dime a while later, to go along with 1881 and 1890 Indians and 10 wheats, one a 1909. A long drive, but worth the trip to check one off the list!

Hope you all got out and had success! Enjoy the pics and HH!

-- Jeff --

Re: Congratulations on those cool finds! I love big coins.....N/T
Posted by: BigTony
Date: October 28, 2018 06:10PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Finally knocked one off the bucket list!
Posted by: Piedmontartifacts
Date: October 28, 2018 11:17PM
It’s good shape too. Congrats.

Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75LTD—F75+—GB2—f19
Keene 3” Ultra Dredge—A52

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: October 29, 2018 07:30PM
Well,it didn’t take me quite THAT long to find one but holy COW those things are elusive! My take on it is this....they are fairly recent,and would’ve made a big huge target for ANY hunter using anything,so they’re all but gone. I’ve also done well on big silver including those you mentioned but only last year did I find a Franklin. Yours is in very nice shape,except for that crack in the bell....:wink:

Posted by: DougF
Date: November 01, 2018 12:50PM
Congrats on the bucket list coin - I agree with IDXmonster - they were probably easy to hit when detectors first came out. I found my only Franklin in a wooded area where few would have detected.

SE Pro since Aug. 2009, located in Maryland.

Posted by: Ted S
Date: November 01, 2018 05:49PM
Congrats! In all of the years I have hunted I only have three Franklins.

Posted by: michael NY
Date: November 03, 2018 12:40AM
Congradulations, I found one Franklin half when I helpd my landlord repace a stove a few years ago first thought it was a knock out from a pannel box, No idea why they are hard to come by either ive dug the same barber halfs and walkers..

Michael

Posted by: park pirate
Date: November 09, 2018 10:58AM
Congrats Jeff that's a real nice half and another bucket list coin out of the way...:cheers:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login