Findmall.com

Be sure and visit The Story Forum!

Views Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Fred is galloping off in the hills somewhere on his beloved Blueberry, a big grin on his face...
Posted by: Steve(Can)
Date: November 19, 2018 10:00PM
Yeah, sure is a shame about Fred, he sure had his share of heartbreaks and disappointments in the last few years, more than what it would take to break most any man, I'd guess, but Fred always took it in stride. Like he'd always say, face every challenge head on.

A few things about Fred from our late night email chats (and that he'd give me a good trouncing if I'd ever have breathed a word of it to anyone, ha!) Sadly, many of those conversations are long gone, old email accounts, crashed computers and such. A few things that made a real impression and I've thought about from time to time.

Fred was a combat infantry sergeant in Vietnam. He said his job in the army was keeping his men alive. He was there in the heat of it during the Tet Offensive. On one occasion, surrounded and hunkered down and taking fire from all sides, Fred yelled out to his guys, "We got 'em right where we want them!"

That was Fred.

Fred had a problem with pictures taken of himself. He couldn't say why exactly, but it was like that since the war. Some of the few pictures of him that exist are the ones of him riding his horse Blueberry, the one he used as an avatar, the one in the posted memorial, and a few others in the series from that morning in the paddock of his ranch.

He often said riding was his life. At one time, he was a regular on the rodeo circuit, calf roping. When my son was younger, Fred sent him a belt buckle he won for the event. That was Fred, sending stuff out of the blue. Ha, I remember Liberal Dave thanking him for a vintage radio, General Ray a telescope, ha, I've got a hunch that most every regular on the forum in those days got a surprise in the mail from Fred.

On his ranch, Fred raised Brangus cattle, a cross between an Angus and a Brahman. He took a lot of pride in his herd, worked hard on the breeding and culling so they didn't have "too much ear".

When Fred was small, he had difficulty reading and his mother spent a lot of time helping him out with it. She tricked him, he said, by making it a game. One time, she gave him a record with Disney songs including Zippity-do-dah. He took it to school, but while walking down the road, it slipped out of it's sleeve, hit the gravel and took a big chip out of the edge of it. His father was a WWII vet.

He often said, riding was his life. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard... Fred said when a horse breaks into a gallop when it's heading home, he'd ride it into the corral put it on a lead and run it in circles til it broke into a lather. Said, you want to run, then run you so and so. Works for problem people too... wanna run, ok, let's see ya run, ha!

Fred said he always had the dream of riding a horse across America.

The first time Fred showed up on the forum, we were talking about a stray cow that was running through Cincinnati.

A year or so before he arrived on the forum, Fred was out mending fences and had a heart attack. Said it was the worse pain he's ever had, wouldn't wish it on no one. Said his horse, Blueberry saved his life.
A few years after he arrived on the forum, he found out he had diabetes... that was what his doctor said it was anyway... the problem was his legs started getting numb when he was riding, tingling at first but it got worse and worse to the point that finally he couldn't ride at all.

That was a real blow to Fred, and though he tried to make the best of the situation, to face every challenge head on, this was cutting him deep.

Face every challenge head on, the manager and a long time friend embezzled a considerable amount of money from Fred's business in town.

Face every challenge head on, Fred sold his ranch, made accommodations for Blueberry, and moved into town.

Somewhere along the way, Fred and I got cross-threaded. For many years, we emailed on a regular basis, fireside chats he called them. The finest compliments anyone could get was Fred saying he'd ride fence with you; the kindest encouragement, Fred wishing you get all the best of everything life has to offer. In the end, it was rare to get an email from Fred or have one returned. He mentioned riding a motorbike, new camera equipment and taking pictures, growing peppers behind the house, his grandson. Last I heard, he wrote to say he broke his neck and I never heard back how he did it or how he made out.

I dunno, though I never ever met them in person, these are two of the finest gentlemen I've ever met. Wayne in BC and Kelley(Texas)... a tremendous loss to their families, to this forum and to all they called friend.

I looked in the archives, but it is long gone, I guess... a lot of years ago, Fred made a post The Easter Ride.... "...the sun shone bright, the birds sang in the trees. I saw a grey fox sitting on a rock..."

Yeah, it's a shame about Fred, Guv, but a man like that is at peace, galloping off in the hills somewhere on his beloved Blueberry, probably holed up for the night in a notch, campfire cackling and him and old Wayne drinking camp coffee, swapping tales and hooting at the old days.

"Some very good people have some very bad ideas."
---Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

"“Do the right thing, then suffer the consequences.”
---Sheriff David Ward

"Come get your duds in order 'cause we're bound across the water,
Heave away, me jollies, heave away.
Come get your duds in order 'cause we're bound to leave tomorrow,
Heave away, me jolly boys, we're all bound away..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhdC0Mbqak

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 10:23PM by Steve(Can).

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I was thinking.... lol

Guvner366November 18, 2018 05:21PM

Fred is galloping off in the hills somewhere on his beloved Blueberry, a big grin on his face...

Steve O62November 20, 2018 04:12AM

That’s too much to think about. I think......

Greg (E.Tn)71November 18, 2018 10:20PM

Re: That’s too much to think about. I think......

bulletman53November 19, 2018 01:28PM

Re: I was thinking.... lol

hawgdawg63November 18, 2018 07:06PM

Re: I was thinking.... lol

bulletman54November 19, 2018 01:30PM

Where's all the guys finding fault with my posts on this one??? lolN/T

Guvner62November 18, 2018 06:54PM

I'm still thinking ! :rofl:N/T

therover49November 19, 2018 06:14PM

I was thinking?

Steve(Can)123November 18, 2018 09:50PM

Google boy thinks I have handlers?? I believe if it gets me to laugh heartily that tells me there is quite a bit of truth in it. More then enough of a reason to copy and paste.

Guvner73November 19, 2018 06:10PM

Steve(Can)92November 19, 2018 10:00PM

Thanks for sharing that about Fred. He was a great ole boy... Gonna miss him around here...N/T

Guvner41November 22, 2018 07:30PM

A truly wonderful trigute to a remarkable man, Steve..

Mikie61November 20, 2018 06:57AM

Re: Fred is galloping off in the hills somewhere on his beloved Blueberry, a big grin on his face...

Steve(Can)61November 19, 2018 11:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login