Findmall.com

Minelab Excalibur & Sovereign Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I Could Use A Lesson In Pinpointing
Posted by: Birdseed
Date: March 02, 2012 12:20AM
Critter

Welcome back,
I have been out of circulation for about 3 months, see my post "Blocked from Findmall" yesterday.
I pinpoint in Disc for bigger signals but for the iffy weak ones I revert to the "Sovereign Manual's" method of Xing the signal at 90 degrees through the center of of the coil. Just sweep a couple of times and visualise the axis thru the coil where the signal is loudest the turn 90 degrees and do it again. Where the imaginary lines intersect is going to be pretty close to the "epicentre" above the target. This said, after 4 years with the Sov I still get fooled by steel crown seal bottle caps off beer bottles, I assume you have then in the U.S.. These often give a lovely signal, but on digging they are usually "Off-center" from where I pinpoint them. They may also sound off with a slightly broken signal and may register differently to various direction of sweep. If I switch to "pinpoint and all metal" the target bottle cap will be located accurately but in disc it will often be a big signal off to one side. I find them very frustrating.
If I don't dig them I may be leaving something valuable in the ground. Sometimes I could swear I'm digging a bottle cap and ultimately un-earth a corroded coin or a couple of them together.
It's all about learning and listening to others, I find your comments insirational at times, keep up the good work

Best of luck

Pete downunder

Peter - VK7PL
Legana Tasmania
Sovereign GT, Safari, SD-2000 and a ProPointer
2 Home built IBs

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I Could Use A Lesson In Pinpointing

Critterhunter707February 17, 2012 08:54AM

Birdseed145March 02, 2012 12:20AM

park pirate146February 18, 2012 03:12PM

opa81112February 18, 2012 03:39AM

Rick(ND)94February 18, 2012 03:35AM

tomtomnc110February 17, 2012 11:21AM

pamlicopanther88February 17, 2012 09:02PM

Ron from Michigan94February 17, 2012 07:58PM

Critterhunter140February 17, 2012 10:46AM

I hesitate to answer :please:

tomtomnc103February 17, 2012 10:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login