Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: The turf hunter just finished his trip to the beach, and...
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: October 21, 2017 09:18PM
Will do, Sanderling, and I appreciate the advice from you, and everyone else.

Next time I go, I will of course have my Explorer, and most likely will be bringing an Equinox, too (assuming it does as well as I expect it to in the wet salt sand).

Really looking forward to it, actually...which surprises me. I was only half-enthused about the idea at first, but warmed up to it with time, and ESPECIALLY after having done it, I actually really enjoyed the challenge.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: Sanderling
Date: October 25, 2017 04:44PM
You are welcome Steve. Saving my $$$ for an Equinox as well! If you ever get over to the east coast - Daytona area - let me know. For now HH.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: October 25, 2017 05:25PM
Sanderling --

Will do, for sure. Thank you!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D Ground Shark "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: LawrencetheMDer
Date: January 14, 2018 04:50PM
If you put together everything said already, that is what I wanted to say - there is some sanity to the randomness as noted by running the blanket line, high tide line, foot of dunes (particularly after a big one like Irma) for surfing coins, cuts, low points, etc. On the other hand, targets are sometimes in the least expected spots and thus we often grid a portion of the beach, like in front of an expensive hotel, by going back and forth between the dunes and water line and then crossing again at 90 deg.
But there is also a lot to be said about knowing how to read a beach (both in water and out), people traffic patterns (I actually use Google to assess beach traffic patterns, when available), when a beach is "sanded-in", how to tell deep pockets in the water from land, when is low and high tides, etc., etc. For those of us who enjoy detecting the surf all day, prep includes weather particularly wind, tide and surf height and water temp...not to mention being constantly on guard for sting rays, shark, red tide and rip-tides, etc. But enjoy every minute which go by in seconds.

Posted by: ColonelDan
Date: January 24, 2018 05:40AM
I do 99% of my detecting on Floirda's east coast beaches and enjoyed reading about your experiences! I agree with the comments offered thus far and can reassure you that good targets are where you find them. I've done well in dry sand, wet sand and in the surf. You can't tell where "depositors" will drop goodies. But...you can narrow the search area by looking in areas that have a tendency to trap the heavier items...like low spots in the wet sand, around beach entrances, along the "towel line", around areas where people tend to congregate (volley ball courts, snack stands, piers etc) The more you go the more you learn.

In terms of environmental prep, I always wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, sun hat with neck flap, use plenty of sunscreen and carry water. When people ask why I cover up so I merely tell them its to protect against the sun, sand fleas and jelly fish. It only take one time being stung by a jelly fish and you quickly learn.

Soldier on...:twodetecting:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 05:40AM by ColonelDan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login