Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Hello everyone...new member here
Posted by: scubamike
Date: November 11, 2018 03:57AM
I just wanted to see what you other divers prefer for an underwater detector. I will be diving up to 100 feet and am wanting a PI machine. Budget is to $1000. Been researching and noticed that the Garrett Infinium LS had great reviews but found out that they discontinued that model. I have seen it for sale for 950 but not sure about servicing if something goes wrong. What do you guys prefer to use?
Thanks everyone.

Mike

Re: Hello everyone...new member here
Posted by: Elton
Date: November 11, 2018 08:37AM
First off...…….. Welcome. There are some very talented water hunters here. I'm guessing you will find
some great opinions of what works for others. Reading this sub forum can give you an idea of the finds made and the machines used.

I have been told Garrett takes very good care of their customers...

Administrator of Finds Treasure Forums
Supporter Of FTF Sponsors

" There will be times I express a personal opinion on something"

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: November 11, 2018 06:46PM
Minelab Excal. Save up til your budget meets it. Be sure to buy from a small dealer- preferably one that sponsers here. btw, published price isn't what they will sell you one for.

And Welcome! Youre gonna enjoy it.

Banned this clown for calling Windy City a crook in detector sales and from pm he sent me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 06:47PM by Champ Ferguson.

Date: November 12, 2018 01:35AM
Thank you for your advise. I will keep that in mind. I am really liking this forum and can see that it contains a lot of info on a lot of topics. Have a great night.

Mike

Date: November 12, 2018 01:39AM
Thank you Elton, I have heard a lot of good things about Garrett. I have been checking out all the reviews on different machines and noticed that the Minelab does get the highest, but it is the most expensive. Since I have not had an underwater detector and this would be my first one, I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money, but I guess if my budget is 1000 I could save a couple hundred more and go for the better machine. Still researching on them right now since I live in a cold region and wont be doing any diving until springtime. I really appreciate the information.

Mike

Posted by: bootyhoundpa
Date: November 12, 2018 05:08PM
Are you sure you want a PI ? With a PI you will be digging everything including small iron..with the excal you can avoid the small iron and dig mostly non ferrous targets.. the excal will hit on larger iron like horseshoes or cannons... depending what you are looking for and taking dive time into consideration excal would probably be your best bet... if you go with excal you should buy new so you have warranty coverage against any possible issues.. they also make a dive shaft... im not a diver..most divers you see on tv using a metal detector are using an excal...

Posted by: Dancer
Date: November 13, 2018 04:44AM
Infinium
Ability to change coils. Can mount on shaft, belt, or your chest. Two tone target I'd. Rated for 200 ft. I would call Garrett, about servicing in the future. So far I haven't had any trouble, but better ask. If you're diving you'll need the diving headphones. No matter your choice.
Manual can be downloaded. Can be adjusted for emi. That's all I got.

Date: November 16, 2018 05:08AM
I have been doing research so far so not sure if im going for PI or not. I will be diving in ocean and lakes that are high mineralization so that is why I was thinking PI. I appreciate all your input on this. Everything is being considered before I make the purchase. Great site for info that's for sure!!!

Mike

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 17, 2018 09:19AM
I second champ's advice on dealing with smaller dealers that sponsor this forum. Look at the feedback forum and see what is said about some of those dealers. A new Xcal carries a one year warranty. Just in case something should go wrong. I Have done business with a few of the sponsors. I do have my favorite as he has treated me more than fairly. The price you see on web pages is the Manufacturers Minimum Advertised Price. Dealers can not advertise the actual price that they will sell you a detector for. Good Luck in your quest.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 23, 2018 05:03AM
What size and kind of targets are you looking for that deep? PI isnt a bad choice that deep out...... salt water and pressure really change. do some good research on how deep the machine will go...... i think you will find theres few choices. CZ/Xcal (VLF)......AquaPluse/JB Fisher (PI) and many of the PIs work at a higher uS which can reduce the size of target found..... like gold. Many of the machines now being made arent made for diving....... or at least deeper than 25'. Even the Xcal and CZ may need to be pressure tested before taking them out. What are you dealing with at 100'........around 40 lbs of pressure?

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Posted by: JamesBondaka
Date: January 19, 2019 05:32PM
Welcome Mike! What area are you in?

................................*......................... I will find a million dollars, one penny at a time!............Viva Detectorados USA.................*.........................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If the hobby of metal detecting made perfect sense...everyone would do it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V3i ExpSe Xlt F75 Umax Dfx Mxt Gmt Ace ETrac 505 Gold & Coinmaster Deleon Mpx Prizm II Cz5/3D Goldengate 3D BH300 Ctx Jeohunter Tm-808

Posted by: JOHNNYBOY
Date: January 29, 2019 09:39PM
look at the garret sea hunter.can be had in the $350-$400 range....good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login