Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Does anyone here know if you can MD in Aruba?
Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: November 21, 2018 03:51PM
Planning a trip their early next year. Also do you know if there is any problem taking the Equinoz detector?

Re: Does anyone here know if you can MD in Aruba?
Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: November 22, 2018 01:36AM
I have been there several times, with no problems. Aruba is united under the Kingdom of the Netherlands and do not seem to follow the restriction on taking detectors onto their island of others like Jamaica, even thou Jamaica gained full independence in 1962. Enjoy and HH!

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: November 22, 2018 07:32PM
Question: When you say you md'd there "no problems", is that from an experiential standpoint ? Ie.: You went, did it, and no one cared less ?

Or is it because you specifically went and asked various embassy consulates, legal beavers, govt. officials, or ... whomever, and got a "yes you may" from them ?

If it's just from an experiential standpoint, then to me, that's the gold standard , IMO. Ie.: if no one cares, then ..... by golly ... no one cares. But oddly, there's md'rs to whom that's not good enough. They want someone in authority to give them an express "yes you can" . So they go asking hither & yonder up and down the bureaucratic chain . Till their "pressing question" lands on someone's desk who decides "no". :rolleyes:

Posted by: WaterWalker
Date: November 23, 2018 04:05AM
I first went to Aruba with others that had been there before. I never questioned them as some have been detecting there since the 1980's with no problems.
Same with going to Jamaica, until my trip in September when my equipment was detained until two hours before my departure from the island. Since then I have done more inquiries, like you are, that will not stir up a hornets nest on the places I plan to visit with a detector. Lands of the British Realm are at the top of my list of places not to take my detecting equipment. I still would visit them and enjoy everything they had to offer.

FedEx has listed Aruba's list of Restricted / banned items at: https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/aruba/index.shtml
Even though Metal Detectors are not listed, there "may" be other restrictions on their use in Aruba.

Likewise Jamaica's listing can be found at a link on their site at: list of restricted or banned items to import into Jamaica - Metal Detectors are listed here!

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: November 23, 2018 04:38PM
WaterWalker
..... I still would visit them and enjoy everything they had to offer...

I would Never support a place (3rd world or here at home) with my vacation dollars if they followed stupid policies like Jamaica has. There's too many other NICER places in the Caribbean to visit- its beyond me why anyone visits that $ hole of a country anyway. Well except to get stoned, but now you can do that in the US if you are so inclined.

Banned this clown for calling Windy City a crook in detector sales and from pm he sent me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2018 04:39PM by Champ Ferguson.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 24, 2018 06:13PM
There are no problems metal detecting the beaches in Aruba. Been there multiple times. It's going to be a quiet hunt though! I don't know if it s super deep sand or lots of hunting locals but I have never found much there. One silver toe ring and one gold ring that was almost certainly a fresh drop. Almost no trash, very little coins or jewelry and have never seen another detectorist, even though I'm sure they are there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login