Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Scoop handles
Posted by: rottonr
Date: November 25, 2018 05:51AM
After breaking my third scoop handle this year, even while being careful , I think I have a good fix. I use a shovel handle I get at the big box home store. After cutting off the to long taper end for a good fit into the scoop I drilled hole 7 inches deep and pound it a piece of steel rod. I then sand the taper end and varnish it to keep it from getting wet for the summer and rotting.

I did this close to the end of this years season on a handle that was broke but to yet in 2 pieces and it's been working great.

Re: Scoop handles
Posted by: goodmore
Date: November 25, 2018 07:13AM
I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 25, 2018 07:52AM
I use a fiberglass handle that is designed for a post hole digger. I drove a wooden dowel into the hole in it and then shimmed it so that it would fit my scoop. It has withstood 4 years of HARD work and is still going strong. Not exactly light but I carry the scoop on my belt. So the weight is not a real problem.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: lytle78
Date: November 25, 2018 08:08AM
A $20 post hole digger from WalMart will get you 2 perfect yellow fiberglass handles.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 25, 2018 05:37PM
I use a $15 fiberglass hoe handle with a 2’ hard wood dowel in the bottom....which I’ve been using now for 7 years and I’ve got thousands of hours on it.

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Date: November 26, 2018 10:55AM
goodmore
I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

Where do you buy them at? I gave up looking for them.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 26, 2018 06:42PM
A number of the metal detector sales carry the carbon fiber ones. . Company in Canada makes them.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: December 14, 2018 06:10AM
Question are you using a knock off scoop with a 1" handle hole? I ask that because you have to know what you have to order. Guy i hunted with yesterday uses a wooden handle because he has a knock off Ukraine scoop which has a 1" hole so not much fits it...... down side. 3 1/2 hours in yesterday ..... his handle broke .... just to thin for our conditions it seems. CF is a better choice now days for both weight and durability....... down side price ouch.

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Date: December 19, 2018 06:05AM
Yes it is a cheap knock off with about a 1" hole for the handle. I'm hoping my fix will make it a money saving knock off. Time will tell, come on SUMMER!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login