Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Scoop handles
Posted by: rottonr
Date: November 25, 2018 05:51AM
After breaking my third scoop handle this year, even while being careful , I think I have a good fix. I use a shovel handle I get at the big box home store. After cutting off the to long taper end for a good fit into the scoop I drilled hole 7 inches deep and pound it a piece of steel rod. I then sand the taper end and varnish it to keep it from getting wet for the summer and rotting.

I did this close to the end of this years season on a handle that was broke but to yet in 2 pieces and it's been working great.

Re: Scoop handles
Posted by: goodmore
Date: November 25, 2018 07:13AM
I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 25, 2018 07:52AM
I use a fiberglass handle that is designed for a post hole digger. I drove a wooden dowel into the hole in it and then shimmed it so that it would fit my scoop. It has withstood 4 years of HARD work and is still going strong. Not exactly light but I carry the scoop on my belt. So the weight is not a real problem.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: lytle78
Date: November 25, 2018 08:08AM
A $20 post hole digger from WalMart will get you 2 perfect yellow fiberglass handles.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 25, 2018 05:37PM
I use a $15 fiberglass hoe handle with a 2’ hard wood dowel in the bottom....which I’ve been using now for 7 years and I’ve got thousands of hours on it.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: November 26, 2018 10:55AM
goodmore
I stopped the madness and the weight issues and went carbon fiber. Breaking scoop handles ruins hunts. I drive too far to the beach to allow that to happen. I have an all aluminum RTG in the car just in case something does indeed happen. But that can be a long walk. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Happy hunting.

Where do you buy them at? I gave up looking for them.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 26, 2018 06:42PM
A number of the metal detector sales carry the carbon fiber ones. . Company in Canada makes them.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: December 14, 2018 06:10AM
Question are you using a knock off scoop with a 1" handle hole? I ask that because you have to know what you have to order. Guy i hunted with yesterday uses a wooden handle because he has a knock off Ukraine scoop which has a 1" hole so not much fits it...... down side. 3 1/2 hours in yesterday ..... his handle broke .... just to thin for our conditions it seems. CF is a better choice now days for both weight and durability....... down side price ouch.

CTX, Blue Xcals
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: December 19, 2018 06:05AM
Yes it is a cheap knock off with about a 1" hole for the handle. I'm hoping my fix will make it a money saving knock off. Time will tell, come on SUMMER!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login