Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Finally - some news about the Manta - its the Fisher Impulse AQ
Posted by: bklein
Date: March 20, 2019 09:41AM
How do they do the knobs and be waterproof? I wonder what pots they use.

Posted by: ginos
Date: March 20, 2019 05:31PM
Vishay p16, Pa16 potentiometer

Posted by: Tintin
Date: March 21, 2019 06:00PM
Have you heard about Excalibur 2 ?

Never know what comes next.

Re: Probably gonna get hammered for this...but here goes!
Posted by: sonnar28
Date: March 24, 2019 09:41PM
Kieth-Tx
I think the idea for this unit is awesome and if it can do what they say it can do...kudos.
But this unit has some major flaws...in my humble opinion. I was a designer by trade and to me...this looks like a rush job or the pencils pushers nixed the upgrades. Knobs? On a water unit? Is this 1990 or 2000? The undercuff battery is a great way to balance a unit but that connection sticking out like that is begging it get broke off. The yoke on the coil connection looks weaker than a single bolt connection. Last issue is for 2000+ you’d think the coil would be internal like the CTX. I have owned many Fisher units and still own and use a CZ21, CZ20 and a 1270. I like most of their machines, design and features....I just think there are going to be a lot of returned Manta units.

I love knobs, I can feel them even thru a glove. Trying to mess with screen entry is not easy in waves and strong current.

This is quite fresh in my mind as I was in the water at Longboat Key last week, using an Equinox and an Aquasearch. The Aquasearch was easily adjusted by turning knobs while listening to the threshold and watching the incoming waves. The Equinox required much more eye hand coordination to adjust, and a sneaker wave got me good.

But to each his own.

Charles

Any news from Fisher on release date, sweet unit
Posted by: jtalley007
Date: April 08, 2019 08:57PM
Jerry

Posted by: bklein
Date: April 09, 2019 09:27AM
ginos
Vishay p16, Pa16 potentiometer
Very cool. Didn’t know about them, glad I asked.
Tintin, the Excal scheme although clever and works for the Excal, a pot designed for the job like these is much better - especially for DIY designs like I dabble with.

Posted by: antigrav1117
Date: April 17, 2019 07:38PM
It's a lot of $ for a limited purpose machine. 2nd the connector sticking out the back as a bad idea. It will get stressed, and is highly likely to be a failure point in the future. As an owner of a vintage blue Excalibur, circa 2000, I'm familiar with long term failure points- and oh- my excal has never leaked. Not a drop. Also 2nd the 1 meter limitation on water depth. Why? Ha- if you drop this detector in neck deep water- boom- you have exceeded it's rating. That ain't very waterproof. I hunt with a top breathing snorkel full face mask for hours on end- why? LOL because it's worth it. Go where others won't, you'll find what others can't. End of story. Great looking machine (I like knobs) but I do have some issues with what I'm seeing.

Posted by: H2OAU
Date: April 21, 2019 12:25PM
I'm with antigrav on this one. That connector on the back may be sturdy, but the cable itself is not. I'm not overly clumsy but I have dropped a detector or two and that point of connection is gonna be an issue. And a one meter waterproof rating? Is that a joke? I'm all the time waist deep or more in the surf, if I drop the machine I will have exceeded the depth rating and most likely voided the warrantee. Might better advertise it as splash resistant. I mean, this is primarily a beach machine right?

Posted by: adamBomb
Date: April 21, 2019 01:03PM
Looks awesome for the most part.

I could go either way screen vs knobs. Knobs are fine.

Price - too much. The price point of the EQX was on point. I think they would sell a ton more units at a <$1000 price point. I wont be buying at 2k+. I wouldn't be buying at $1500+ either.

" Nox600 *CTX *CZ21 *Excal II *Whites DF PI Pro *920i StealthScoop

Posted by: Ozleif
Date: April 21, 2019 06:26PM
All I wish to know is where to get one !

:cheers:

Cables
Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: April 22, 2019 09:08PM
My cables extending out of the back on the Excaliburs with thousands of hours of use, underwater / above and never a issue. I'm very rough on my detectors, only the coil cable do I baby. And the Fisher "AQ" with High quality SS fittings, it will outlast me. I've followed a few on this project like Carl Moreland and I really feel confident that it won't be out until he feels it's lives up to his standards..

My only concern is the Warranty and the 1 meter depth rating. Give me a 2 year warranty (Or More) and I think I can maintain the close to 3 foot UW rating with chest deep hunting since I'm only 5 foot 9 inch's and shrinking...:shocked:

Interesting video's on the AQ
Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: April 22, 2019 09:24PM
Re: Interesting video's on the AQ
Posted by: El
Date: April 23, 2019 02:00PM
:drool::

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 02:01PM by El.

Great video but I wonder!!!!!!
Posted by: Jim Robertson
Date: April 25, 2019 06:37AM
My guess is pop tops are going to sound great and bobby pins will sound like iron. Any thoughts?

Posted by: LE.JAG
Date: April 25, 2019 04:50PM
Hi,

Iron hair pins sound like iron

iron is no longer a problem
only iron objects covered with non-ferrous film / its a problem
we have here, in Europe, iron coins
covered with a copper film
very fine / less than a tenth

the detector see the copper so it is sensitive .....
same thing for beer capsules
oxidize no problem: she is cut
new: he sees it as non-ferrous .....

but if you made like me, look for place heavy objects
you will find a lot of lead
a lot of musket ball on this last hunt
a battle (English / French) on the beach around 1760

and among the lead a little yellow :)

Fischer--Aquamanta // Pulsepowers Goldscan 5C // Nexus coronado // Vista Gold

( sorry for my english )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login