Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Small old beach big 1776 Spanish silver find!
Posted by: Mkus
Date: June 04, 2019 06:11AM
This small beach produced a bunch of old coins this first trip a 1883 V nickel was the oldest some mercury dimes and silver Rosie’s and a dateless buffalo so I knew a a good silver was lurking boy was I right second trip this past Sunday started off with some nice wheat cents and a mercury dime another dateless buffalo then almost out at the tip a 24-25?on my nox I thought a clad Rosie maybe a worn silver???
Boy was I surprised when I saw the two pillars and the date 1776 a 2 Reale!!! Looks VF no wear on it so must have been lost close to the date it’s about a 2 mile hike in to this beach but I’ll be going some more!
Settings beach 2 recovery 6 iron 1 sensitivity 20-21
HH
Mark

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2019 06:15AM by Mkus.

Re: Small old beach big 1776 Spanish silver find!
Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: June 06, 2019 06:35AM
Worth the walk for those kind of finds. hard telling whats still down there.

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 06, 2019 09:43AM
Wow ! What state was this find in ??

Date: June 07, 2019 07:06AM
Tom_in_CA
Wow ! What state was this find in ??
Thanks Guys Hi Tom I'm in eastern Ct right along LIS long island sound tons of history here this beach has never been hit to my knowledge..

Date: June 07, 2019 07:07AM
dewcon4414
Worth the walk for those kind of finds. hard telling whats still down there.
Yep the trails are well worn from Bikers and my thoughts exactly I'm digging every signal and Hoping to find another gold coin!

Date: June 09, 2019 10:22PM
Mkus
.... Tom I'm in eastern Ct right along LIS long island sound tons of history here .... .

Oh. Well in that case, I retract my "congratulations" . Since .... of course .... there's reales, large cents, busts, and colonial coppers wherever you throw a stone on the east coast. Right ? :poke: :rofl:

Date: June 10, 2019 06:10AM
Tom_in_CA
Mkus
.... Tom I'm in eastern Ct right along LIS long island sound tons of history here .... .

Oh. Well in that case, I retract my "congratulations" . Since .... of course .... there's reales, large cents, busts, and colonial coppers wherever you throw a stone on the east coast. Right ? :poke: :rofl:
Oh how I wish! I really have to search to find un hunted spots I go by boat kayak or hike in..

Date: June 11, 2019 07:40PM
Tom_in_CA
Mkus

Where are you? West coast? If so You guys should be finding all kinds of gold coins! Or nuggets just laying in the rivers!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 07:41PM by Mkus.

Date: June 11, 2019 08:54PM
Mkus
Where are you? West coast? If so You guys should be finding all kinds of gold coins! Or nuggets just laying in the rivers!!

As my avetar name suggests: I'm in California. And yes: We find a higher # of gold coins out here. I know many guys who've found them here. Some with several each. :tongue:

I have a theory that the reason they're found out west more often than back east is: All the population migration patterns in the 1800s was east to west. When you'd "pack up your life" and move. Eh ? Hence when persons back east were going to head to CA, and it came time to liquidate all their belongings for the travel : Cargo space and weight was at a minimum. Thus what's easier to carry ? 50 large cents or a single bust half ? 100 seated dimes or a single $10 gold ? Etc....

For whatever reason: Most of the time, when you read someone's show & tell of a gold coin found, it tends to be west coast.

Oh well, that's our revenge since we don't get Large Cents and colonial coppers out of every sandbox like you east coast guys get ! :rofl:

Date: June 12, 2019 05:40AM
Tom_in_CA
Mkus

As my avetar name suggests: I'm in California. And yes: We find a higher # of gold coins out here. I know many guys who've found them here. Some with several each. :tongue:

I have a theory that the reason they're found out west more often than back east is: All the population migration patterns in the 1800s was east to west. When you'd "pack up your life" and move. Eh ? Hence when persons back east were going to head to CA, and it came time to liquidate all their belongings for the travel : Cargo space and weight was at a minimum. Thus what's easier to carry ? 50 large cents or a single bust half ? 100 seated dimes or a single $10 gold ? Etc....

For whatever reason: Most of the time, when you read someone's show & tell of a gold coin found, it tends to be west coast.

Oh well, that's our revenge since we don't get Large Cents and colonial coppers out of every sandbox like you east coast guys get ! :rofl:
I’ve been detecting for a little over 3 years my father 40+ he found a higgley copper one of the first US minted coins and he had his own copper mill here in Ct yes we find quite a few largies some busts coins to find a 2 Reale on a beach in Ct is pretty uncommon it was a beach I hiked to and had never been hunted that’s what I do..
I kayak and boat to river spots and find good coins..
Heck I found my first $5.00 gold coin first year detecting in a hammered park but I put a lot of time in maybe that’s why a lot of the Philadelphia mint gold coins are sometimes more valuable gold had to come from out west to the east coast ...I’m just fortunate that I live on the East Coast ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 05:56AM by Mkus.

Date: June 13, 2019 07:30AM
Mkus
I’ve been detecting for a little over 3 years my father 40+ he found a higgley copper one of the first US minted coins and he had his own copper mill here in Ct yes we find quite a few largies some busts coins to find a 2 Reale on a beach in Ct is pretty uncommon it was a beach I hiked to and had never been hunted that’s what I do..
Heck I found my first $5.00 gold coin first year detecting in a hammered park but I put a lot of time in maybe that’s why a lot of the Philadelphia mint gold coins are sometimes more valuable gold had to come from out west to the east coast ...I’m just fortunate that I live on the East Coast ;-)

Good post !

I couldn't believe it , when I went to a Virginia hunt @ last winter ......... that my buddy and I got a large cent EACH. We snuck away from the organized event/hunt, and hit some local parks and schools.

Heck .... here in CA ... I spent 40+ yrs. to get a grand total of 3 LC's. Yet in a single few-days, we get 2 at "ho-hum parks/school" on the east coast ?? Sick sick sick. Oh well, as I say: We have a better odds for gold coins, and a better odds for key-date S-mints :/

Date: June 13, 2019 07:52AM
Tom_in_CA
Mkus

Good post !

I couldn't believe it , when I went to a Virginia hunt @ last winter ......... that my buddy and I got a large cent EACH. We snuck away from the organized event/hunt, and hit some local parks and schools.
Yep on those S mints the park I found the gold coin in I found a nise S mint barber and a CC seated quarter my first CC coin those are rare here!

Heck .... here in CA ... I spent 40+ yrs. to get a grand total of 3 LC's. Yet in a single few-days, we get 2 at "ho-hum parks/school" on the east coast ?? Sick sick sick. Oh well, as I say: We have a better odds for gold coins, and a better odds for key-date S-mints :/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login